wxgrass wishes

Markus Neteler-3
Hi,

from time to time I try wxgrass. Amazing progress!

Two wishes I have:
- the list of maps isn't in alphabetical order
  (this would be helpful..)
- would it be possible to optionally merge the two
  main wxgrass windows into a single one? I have my
  screen all cluttered with windows - it would be
  way easier to have them in one. I ask optionally,
  since other folks may think differently

Keep up the good work,
Markus

--
Markus Neteler  <neteler itc it>  http://mpa.itc.it/markus/
FBK-irst -  Centro per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica

Re: wxgrass wishes

Martin Landa
Hi,

2007/5/30, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

> Two wishes I have:
> - the list of maps isn't in alphabetical order
>   (this would be helpful..)

Done.

Martin

--
Martin Landa <[hidden email]> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *

Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Markus Neteler-3
Hi wxgrass developers,

let me repeat my wish from earlier this year (which I share with
many users, I get regularly asked about this):

Markus Neteler wrote
- would it be possible to optionally merge the two
  main wxgrass windows into a single one? I have my
  screen all cluttered with windows - it would be
  way easier to have them in one. I ask optionally,
  since other folks may think differently

Keep up the good work,
Markus
I am sure that there is a way to put the wxgrass windows into
a single frame (legend left and map on the right or so).

Thanks
Markus

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Martin Landa
Markus,

now mentioned on the wiki-page

 http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Layout

Martin

2007/11/26, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi wxgrass developers,
>
> let me repeat my wish from earlier this year (which I share with
> many users, I get regularly asked about this):
>

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > - would it be possible to optionally merge the two
> >   main wxgrass windows into a single one? I have my
> >   screen all cluttered with windows - it would be
> >   way easier to have them in one. I ask optionally,
> >   since other folks may think differently
> >
> > Keep up the good work,
> > Markus
> >

> I am sure that there is a way to put the wxgrass windows into
> a single frame (legend left and map on the right or so).
>
> Thanks
> Markus

Martin Landa <[hidden email]> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Trevor Wiens

> let me repeat my wish from earlier this year (which I
> share with many users, I get regularly asked about this):
>

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > - would it be possible to optionally merge the two
> >   main wxgrass windows into a single one? I have my
> >   screen all cluttered with windows - it would be
> >   way easier to have them in one. I ask optionally,
> >   since other folks may think differently
> >
> > Keep up the good work,
> > Markus
> >

> I am sure that there is a way to put the wxgrass windows
> into a single frame (legend left and map on the right or
> so).

IMVAO, this is the wrong approach. The clutter with wxgrass
and with the tcltk gis manager is the "command" window that
isn't really a command window. I've not used the wxgui since
it became function, but the command window is the tcltk
interface just wastes my desktop space because an xterm is
much more functional and useful. Hopefully the wxgui command
window is more useful, however in either case, it would be
much more reasonable to put the command window on a tab in
the main window. Putting the command line interface on one
tab and legend on another is natural as command line users
tend to avoid using gui's and vice versa. Further this sets
up a natural situation to what I had suggested some time ago
using a sockets interface to allow for full command line
control of the gui. Unfortunately, I was unable to bring
this to a functional state. In the long term, this is a much
better solution than linking the layers and legend settings
to the map window like ArcView, et al. The ESRI style
solution means duplication if you have multiple windows open
and loss of precious desktop real estate. In the short term,
one window could be dropped quite easily and once the xterm
is replaced by a truly interactive command window this would
cause loss of another window and be down to one main window
plus one per map.

FWIW that is my opinion, but as I have no time to code now,
or in the foreseeable future, I doubt it caries much weight.

Trevor Wiens

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Michael Barton

On 11/26/07 3:00 PM, "twiens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

This *IS* how wxPython GRASS works. There is no separate command I/O window.
Please try it out.

Michael

> Further this sets
> up a natural situation to what I had suggested some time ago
> using a sockets interface to allow for full command line
> control of the gui. Unfortunately, I was unable to bring
> this to a functional state. In the long term, this is a much
> better solution than linking the layers and legend settings
> to the map window like ArcView, et al. The ESRI style
> solution means duplication if you have multiple windows open
> and loss of precious desktop real estate. In the short term,
> one window could be dropped quite easily and once the xterm
> is replaced by a truly interactive command window this would
> cause loss of another window and be down to one main window
> plus one per map.
>
> FWIW that is my opinion, but as I have no time to code now,
> or in the foreseeable future, I doubt it caries much weight.

> Trevor Wiens

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Trevor Wiens
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:54:17 -0700
Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/26/07 3:00 PM, "twiens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oops. Sorry. I would like too, but simply haven't had the time to grab it yet. :(

Michael, I had no intention of disrespecting your hard work on GIS.m or wxPython GRASS. I just recall the earlier discussions on this and have been pleased with the general direction you and the GUI team have been moving and I wouldn't want to see that side tracked by the ever present influence of ArcView (warts and all) on GIS user interfaces. If my comments offended, I apologize.

Now, given that there isn't an extra command window I can't understand what is the concern about two windows, this is hardly, "my screen all cluttered with windows". I suppose the user might be commenting on the individual GUI's for each command. This might be bothersome to some people and I suppose there is not easy or obvious solution to deal with this, although if they could be docked onto new tabs in the main window this might be a desirable solution although I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be or even how functional that type of interface might work. Another option would be to have a third tab to which these commands could be minized to and perhaps later tied together into some sort of graphical script writing tool?

Trevor Wiens
[hidden email]

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Jáchym Čepický-4
Hi Trevor and others.

I always raised my hand for having the GUI completely manageable from
command line. When I started to work on wxgrass, I tried hard to have
the map windows independent on the manager windows. Set of command line
commands was provided, which where wrappers for raster and vector
commands -- see
https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/gui/scripts/#_trunk_grassaddons_gui_scripts_
 for examples. I used temporary files for the communication, because of
AFAIK, there are problems with sockets on non-unix platforms (correct
me, if I'm wrong).

Sorry, I'm not as involved in GRASS development, as I was before (I hope
to return once). But Trevor, feel free to update/write from scratch this
feature. I'm sure, we two are not the only ones, who would like to have
new nice Wx GRASS monitors, manageable from command line.

Jachym

Trevor Wiens píše v Út 27. 11. 2007 v 16:19 -0700:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:54:17 -0700
> Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 11/26/07 3:00 PM, "twiens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Trevor Wiens
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:50:30 +0100
Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Trevor and others.
>
> I always raised my hand for having the GUI completely manageable from
> command line. When I started to work on wxgrass, I tried hard to have
> the map windows independent on the manager windows. Set of command line
> commands was provided, which where wrappers for raster and vector
> commands -- see
> https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/gui/scripts/#_trunk_grassaddons_gui_scripts_
>  for examples. I used temporary files for the communication, because of
> AFAIK, there are problems with sockets on non-unix platforms (correct
> me, if I'm wrong).

unix style sockets yes, but not TCP sockets which are quite a robust cross-platform solution to achieve this result using Python. This is important if we were still thinking of a python based command line interface to eventually replace bash. Also, with this solution is that it would be easy to wrap it such that hard core bash users would still be able to use bash to achieve the same results.

> Sorry, I'm not as involved in GRASS development, as I was before (I hope
> to return once). But Trevor, feel free to update/write from scratch this
> feature. I'm sure, we two are not the only ones, who would like to have
> new nice Wx GRASS monitors, manageable from command line.

Likewise I'm also sad I don't have time to code, but I do occasionally through out an idea here and there and hope that the good ones stick to someone who does have the time.

Trevor Wiens
[hidden email]

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Glynn Clements

Trevor Wiens wrote:

> > I always raised my hand for having the GUI completely manageable from
> > command line. When I started to work on wxgrass, I tried hard to have
> > the map windows independent on the manager windows. Set of command line
> > commands was provided, which where wrappers for raster and vector
> > commands -- see
> > https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/gui/scripts/#_trunk_grassaddons_gui_scripts_
> >  for examples. I used temporary files for the communication, because of
> > AFAIK, there are problems with sockets on non-unix platforms (correct
> > me, if I'm wrong).
>
> unix style sockets yes, but not TCP sockets which are quite a robust
> cross-platform solution to achieve this result using Python.

The problem with TCP sockets is that you need to code some form of
authentication mechanism. With a Unix-domain socket, you can just set
the permissions to 0600 so that only the owner can connect to it.

--
Glynn Clements <[hidden email]>

Re: [GRASS-GUI] Re: wxgrass wishes: have 1 GUI window instead of many

Trevor Wiens

> > > I always raised my hand for having the GUI completely
> > > manageable from command line. When I started to work
> > > on wxgrass, I tried hard to have the map windows
> > > independent on the manager windows. Set of command
> line commands was provided, which where wrappers for
> > > raster and vector commands -- see

https://grasssvn.itc.it/grasssvn/grassaddons/trunk/grassaddons/gui/scripts/#_trunk_grassaddons_gui_scripts_

> > >  for examples. I used temporary files for the
> > > communication, because of AFAIK, there are problems
> > > with sockets on non-unix platforms (correct me, if I'm
> > wrong).
> > unix style sockets yes, but not TCP sockets which are
> > quite a robust cross-platform solution to achieve this
> result using Python.
>
> The problem with TCP sockets is that you need to code some
> form of authentication mechanism. With a Unix-domain
> socket, you can just set the permissions to 0600 so that
> only the owner can connect to it.

True, but given this is the only flexible cross-platform
solution, this is still the best option. I have a colleague
who had taken a Python course with Mark Lutz (author of
multiple Python books), who kindly contacted him on my
behalf in the early stages of my thinking on this process
and Mark strongly endorsed the concept of sockets as the
most flexible and appropriate Python solution to the
problem.

In the short term, it wouldn't be all that onerous to write
a simple authentication mechanism to ensure that signals
were only accepted from the current machine and using a
session id to ensure that multiple running copies didn't
send messages at cross purposes. In the long term it places
the beginnings of a functional hook for remote use if one
chooses to build a more robust and flexible authentication
mechanism.

Trevor Wiens