wx.lib.floatcanvas

Michael Barton
I'm trying out posting to the GrassGUI list and wanted to show this to you
all. I just stumbled on to it. It is a new wxPython module aimed directly at
drawing maps in various coordinate systems. It even has a special toolbar
for zooming/panning.

We should probably switch to this. If I had known about it a couple weeks
back, it would have saved me hours of work as it has built in buffered
drawing.

http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.lib.floatcanvas-module.html

Also, there is a new module for OGL drawing. These are vector objects that
can be manipulated.

Finally, I found a DrawXXXList class that will draw various shapes from a
list of coordinates.

One of these latter may be very good for a new way to render vectors.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: wx.lib.floatcanvas

Jáchym Čepický-2
Hi,

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 12:50:54PM -0700, Michael Barton wrote:
> I'm trying out posting to the GrassGUI list and wanted to show this to you
> all. I just stumbled on to it. It is a new wxPython module aimed directly at
> drawing maps in various coordinate systems. It even has a special toolbar
> for zooming/panning.

this sounds interesting. are there any screenshots? did you allready
implement it? Is it really better, than what we have kludged?

> We should probably switch to this. If I had known about it a couple weeks

+1

> back, it would have saved me hours of work as it has built in buffered
> drawing.

We all :-)
What does not kill you, makes you stronger.

> http://www.wxpython.org/docs/api/wx.lib.floatcanvas-module.html
>
> Also, there is a new module for OGL drawing. These are vector objects that
> can be manipulated.
>
> Finally, I found a DrawXXXList class that will draw various shapes from a
> list of coordinates.
>
> One of these latter may be very good for a new way to render vectors.
>
> Michael
I'm a bit sceptical about this. I would not say, that writing own vector
rendering will make it any faster. We are even not able to access the
vector features from python (are we?).

There are other interesting grass-python bindings. I hope, they will
arrive to grass-dev list soon ;)

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky