wx init.sh needs updating

William Kyngesburye
Just found some time to take a look at wxgrass again.  The init.sh in
the svn gui source needs to be updated - there are a bunch of updates
missing, so if someone overwrites their existing init.sh per the
readme, the updates will be lost.

I see that most of the wx changes are already in the GRASS cvs
init.sh.  The other option would be to update the readme install
instructions - with one update to the CVS init.sh, this step could be
removed.  The one difference I found is the message about restarting/
starting the gui.  This would take care of the different gui cases (I
left out d.m):

case "$GRASS_GUI" in
     tcltk | gis.m)
         echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
with: gis.m"
         ;;
     wx)
         echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
with: wxgrass &"
         ;;
     *)
         echo "Start the graphical user interface with: gis.m"
         ;;
esac

(I could apply that if you like.)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Michael Barton
William,

I thought that the cvs version of init.sh was the one to use now. Please go
ahead and make the one further change. We should get rid of the init.sh in
the svn repository and instructions that say to use it. If you take care of
init.sh in the cvs, I'll take care of the svn version. Thanks for noticing
this.

I started messing around with a python replacement for init.sh, just to see
what is needed. It is going pretty well, but tedious. Once done (and
probably won't work right off) it could be a good opportunity to clean up
the start up script for GRASS. Thinking ahead to a time when the same script
can start GRASS on all platforms.

Michael

On 8/6/07 10:14 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just found some time to take a look at wxgrass again.  The init.sh in
> the svn gui source needs to be updated - there are a bunch of updates
> missing, so if someone overwrites their existing init.sh per the
> readme, the updates will be lost.
>
> I see that most of the wx changes are already in the GRASS cvs
> init.sh.  The other option would be to update the readme install
> instructions - with one update to the CVS init.sh, this step could be
> removed.  The one difference I found is the message about restarting/
> starting the gui.  This would take care of the different gui cases (I
> left out d.m):
>
> case "$GRASS_GUI" in
>      tcltk | gis.m)
>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
> with: gis.m"
>          ;;
>      wx)
>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
> with: wxgrass &"
>          ;;
>      *)
>          echo "Start the graphical user interface with: gis.m"
>          ;;
> esac
>
> (I could apply that if you like.)
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> Theory of the Universe
>
> There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
> what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
> disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
> inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
> already happened.
>
> -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: wx init.sh needs updating

William Kyngesburye
Done.

On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> William,
>
> I thought that the cvs version of init.sh was the one to use now.
> Please go
> ahead and make the one further change. We should get rid of the
> init.sh in
> the svn repository and instructions that say to use it. If you take
> care of
> init.sh in the cvs, I'll take care of the svn version. Thanks for
> noticing
> this.

> On 8/6/07 10:14 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I see that most of the wx changes are already in the GRASS cvs
>> init.sh.  The other option would be to update the readme install
>> instructions - with one update to the CVS init.sh, this step could be
>> removed.  The one difference I found is the message about restarting/
>> starting the gui.  This would take care of the different gui cases (I
>> left out d.m):
>>
>> case "$GRASS_GUI" in
>>      tcltk | gis.m)
>>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
>> with: gis.m"
>>          ;;
>>      wx)
>>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
>> with: wxgrass &"
>>          ;;
>>      *)
>>          echo "Start the graphical user interface with: gis.m"
>>          ;;
>> esac
>>
>> (I could apply that if you like.)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Re: wx init.sh needs updating

Michael Barton
I also took care of the README and deleted the old init.sh from the SVN  gui
folder.

Michael

On 8/7/07 7:24 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done.
>
> On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> William,
>>
>> I thought that the cvs version of init.sh was the one to use now.
>> Please go
>> ahead and make the one further change. We should get rid of the
>> init.sh in
>> the svn repository and instructions that say to use it. If you take
>> care of
>> init.sh in the cvs, I'll take care of the svn version. Thanks for
>> noticing
>> this.
>> On 8/6/07 10:14 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I see that most of the wx changes are already in the GRASS cvs
>>> init.sh.  The other option would be to update the readme install
>>> instructions - with one update to the CVS init.sh, this step could be
>>> removed.  The one difference I found is the message about restarting/
>>> starting the gui.  This would take care of the different gui cases (I
>>> left out d.m):
>>>
>>> case "$GRASS_GUI" in
>>>      tcltk | gis.m)
>>>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
>>> with: gis.m"
>>>          ;;
>>>      wx)
>>>          echo "If required, restart the graphical user interface
>>> with: wxgrass &"
>>>          ;;
>>>      *)
>>>          echo "Start the graphical user interface with: gis.m"
>>>          ;;
>>> esac
>>>
>>> (I could apply that if you like.)
>>>

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> Theory of the Universe
>
> There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
> what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
> disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
> inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
> already happened.
>
> -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: wx init.sh needs updating

William Kyngesburye
On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:44 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> I started messing around with a python replacement for init.sh,
> just to see
> what is needed. It is going pretty well, but tedious. Once done (and
> probably won't work right off) it could be a good opportunity to
> clean up
> the start up script for GRASS. Thinking ahead to a time when the
> same script
> can start GRASS on all platforms.
>
> Michael

Yeah, I just noticed a another oddity in init.sh related to wx - the
gui dependency test is still based on X.  While wxpython on other
'nix platforms may need X, it doesn't on OSX, and probably not on
Windows either.  Summarized:

if DISPLAY set (though it may be set but no X is available, at least
on OSX)
   test gui dependency - python for wx, wish for tcltk
   if it fails
     warn that *wish* doesn't work (oops)
else
   no gui possible
   if a gui is set
     warn that *X* is not available, and there a gui is not possible
(oops again)

Instead of testing the gui dependency first, maybe this should test
the gui setting first:

case GRASS_GUI:
   tcltk, etc)
     test X availability
     or better, ignore DISPLAY and test only wish - if it works, X is
implied, or whatever graphical base needed (this would take care of
native tcltk implementations, like Aqua or Windows, not that they
work well)
   wx)
     test python availability (X implied if needed - as long as
python works)

...just some thoughts...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy