v.what.vect confusion

Tyler Smith-2
Hello,

I have a vector point map, amelanchier, and a vector polygon map,
hwSoil. I tried to extract data from hwSoil for each point in
amelanchier as follows:

v.db.addcol map=amelanchier columns="T_GRAVEL double precision"
v.what.vect vector=amelanchier qvector=hwSoil qcolumn=T_GRAVEL \
column=T_GRAVEL

I've repeated this process for a few dozen columns.

However, I'm not getting the right values. If I investigate a single
point using d.what.vect, notice that the values for T_GRAVEL in
amelanchier is not the same as that in hwSoil. I've included some of
the other columns that also show small discrepancies.

d.what.vect -t

82:13:46.5625W(E) 36:23:46.875N(N)

     hwSoil in PERMANENT  Area
Size - Sq Meters: 10269585820.955 Hectares: 1026958.582
           Acres: 2537669.922 Sq Miles: 3965.1093
Layer: 1
category: 4608
driver: sqlite
database: /home/tws/grassdata/hwSoilsDB/PERMANENT/sqlite.db
table: hwsdData
key column: MU_GLOBAL
ADD_PROP : 0
T_GRAVEL : 10
T_SAND : 49
T_SILT : 27
T_CLAY : 24
T_USDA_TEX_CLASS : 10
T_REF_BULK_DENSITY : 1.4
T_BULK_DENSITY : 1.4

amelanchier in PERMANENT  Point
Layer: 1
category: 668
driver: sqlite
database: /home/tws/grassdata/hwSoilsDB/PERMANENT/sqlite.db
table: amelanchier
key column: cat
cat : 668
accession : 10-217
species : ARB
country : USA
state : TN
y : 36.3966
x : -82.22792
ADD_PROP : 0
T_GRAVEL : 11
T_SAND : 44
T_SILT : 33
T_CLAY : 23
T_USDA_TEX_CLASS : 9
T_REF_BULK_DENSITY : 1.39
T_BULK_DENSITY : 1.35

What have I done wrong here? Is v.what.vect doing some kind of
interpolation? I've attached a small section of my map, so you can see
that the individual points are placed within large polygons, so I
don't think there's a chance that I'm clicking in a different polygon
than the one the point is in.

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

error.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: v.what.vect confusion

Tyler Smith-2
Hi again,

I'm still struggling with how to add the attribute values from a polygon map to the table for a point map. I've tried v.what.vect, as documented in my previous message. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tyler

On March 14, 2014 2:29:49 PM EDT, Tyler Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a vector point map, amelanchier, and a vector polygon map,
>hwSoil. I tried to extract data from hwSoil for each point in
>amelanchier as follows:
>
>v.db.addcol map=amelanchier columns="T_GRAVEL double precision"
>v.what.vect vector=amelanchier qvector=hwSoil qcolumn=T_GRAVEL \
>column=T_GRAVEL
>
>I've repeated this process for a few dozen columns.
>
>However, I'm not getting the right values. If I investigate a single
>point using d.what.vect, notice that the values for T_GRAVEL in
>amelanchier is not the same as that in hwSoil. I've included some of
>the other columns that also show small discrepancies.
>
>d.what.vect -t
>
>82:13:46.5625W(E) 36:23:46.875N(N)
>
>     hwSoil in PERMANENT  Area
>Size - Sq Meters: 10269585820.955 Hectares: 1026958.582
>           Acres: 2537669.922 Sq Miles: 3965.1093
>Layer: 1
>category: 4608
>driver: sqlite
>database: /home/tws/grassdata/hwSoilsDB/PERMANENT/sqlite.db
>table: hwsdData
>key column: MU_GLOBAL
>ADD_PROP : 0
>T_GRAVEL : 10
>T_SAND : 49
>T_SILT : 27
>T_CLAY : 24
>T_USDA_TEX_CLASS : 10
>T_REF_BULK_DENSITY : 1.4
>T_BULK_DENSITY : 1.4
>
>amelanchier in PERMANENT  Point
>Layer: 1
>category: 668
>driver: sqlite
>database: /home/tws/grassdata/hwSoilsDB/PERMANENT/sqlite.db
>table: amelanchier
>key column: cat
>cat : 668
>accession : 10-217
>species : ARB
>country : USA
>state : TN
>y : 36.3966
>x : -82.22792
>ADD_PROP : 0
>T_GRAVEL : 11
>T_SAND : 44
>T_SILT : 33
>T_CLAY : 23
>T_USDA_TEX_CLASS : 9
>T_REF_BULK_DENSITY : 1.39
>T_BULK_DENSITY : 1.35
>
>What have I done wrong here? Is v.what.vect doing some kind of
>interpolation? I've attached a small section of my map, so you can see
>that the individual points are placed within large polygons, so I
>don't think there's a chance that I'm clicking in a different polygon
>than the one the point is in.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>Tyler

Re: v.what.vect confusion

Micha Silver
After reading your first post, I tried on a small contrived sample of polygons and points. I moved the polygon centroids to "un-natural" positions, to try to get the wrong values uploaded to the points attrib table. The bottom line was that v.what.vect seemed to work fine.
Can you share a sample of your data?

On 03/17/2014 06:42 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
[...]

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

--
Micha Silver
GIS Consultant, Arava Development Co.

Re: v.what.vect confusion

Tyler Smith-2
Thanks, Micha.

I figured it out. I had incorrectly connected the database table to the map. The table had multiple key values for each polygon.

The dataset is the Harmonized World Soils Database. I've updated the wiki with correct instructions. I think they're correct, at least.

 http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets#Harmonized_World_Soil_Database_.28HWSD_Database.29

Best,

Tyler