v.proj: lat or lon limits exceeded

Rich Shepard
Trying to re-project a vector file from location lon_lat to the project's
location fails:

Reprojecting primitives ...
WARNING: proj_trans() failed: latitude or longitude exceeded limits
ERROR: Unable to re-project vector map <anal_area@PERMANENT> from <lon_lat>

lon_lat/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO has no geographic coordinates. The vector file
has these corners:
45.150100, -123.940000
45.145400, -123.940000
45.145400, -123.960000
45.150100, -123.960000
45.150100, -123.940000

The project location's PROJ_INFO is:

name: NAD_1983_HARN_Oregon_Statewide_Lambert_Feet_Intl
datum: nad83harn
ellps: grs80
proj: lcc
lat_1: 43
lat_2: 45.5
lat_0: 41.75
lon_0: -120.5
x_0: 399999.9999999999
y_0: 0
no_defs: defined

The warning does not inform which location's limits are exceeded, and I need
to learn how to resolve this situation (and avoid future ones.)

Regards,

Rich

Re: v.proj: lat or lon limits exceeded

Markus Metz-3

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:44 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to re-project a vector file from location lon_lat to the project's
> location fails:
>
> Reprojecting primitives ...
> WARNING: proj_trans() failed: latitude or longitude exceeded limits

Which version of proj are you using? Note that proj 6 is not yet supported, neither by gdal 2.x nor by grass 7.x.

Markus M

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019, Markus Metz wrote:

> Which version of proj are you using? Note that proj 6 is not yet supported,
> neither by gdal 2.x nor by grass 7.x.

Markus M,

proj-5.2.0
geos-3.7.2
gdal-2.2.4

And Slackware tends to stay back from the bleeding edges.

Regards,

Rich

Re: v.proj: lat or lon limits exceeded

Markus Metz-3

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:44 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to re-project a vector file from location lon_lat to the project's
> location fails:
>
> Reprojecting primitives ...
> WARNING: proj_trans() failed: latitude or longitude exceeded limits
> ERROR: Unable to re-project vector map <anal_area@PERMANENT> from <lon_lat>
>
> lon_lat/PERMANENT/PROJ_INFO has no geographic coordinates. The vector file
> has these corners:
> 45.150100, -123.940000
> 45.145400, -123.940000
> 45.145400, -123.960000
> 45.150100, -123.960000
> 45.150100, -123.940000

the latitudes of -123.9x are smaller than -90, exceeding limits. Did you swap easting and northing?

Markus M

> The project location's PROJ_INFO is:

> name: NAD_1983_HARN_Oregon_Statewide_Lambert_Feet_Intl
> datum: nad83harn
> ellps: grs80
> proj: lcc
> lat_1: 43
> lat_2: 45.5
> lat_0: 41.75
> lon_0: -120.5
> x_0: 399999.9999999999
> y_0: 0
> no_defs: defined
>
> The warning does not inform which location's limits are exceeded, and I need
> to learn how to resolve this situation (and avoid future ones.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Re: v.proj: lat or lon limits exceeded [FIXED]

Rich Shepard
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019, Markus Metz wrote:

> the latitudes of -123.9x are smaller than -90, exceeding limits. Did you
> swap easting and northing?

Markus M,

Sigh. Obviously, yes. And I completely missed seeing this. I knew it was
something simple that I overlooked.

Thank you very much,

Rich