v.label.sa not working with areas?

RichardCooper
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I'm using GRASS 6.4.3 and cannot get v.label.sa to work with areas. On running the following I get an empty labels file.

v.label.sa --verbose map=hydrobasins_africa@hydrolayers type=area column=MAJ_NAME labels=africa_basins_sa font=Trebuchet_MS size=0.5 color=red

However, it works with lines - I can output a labels file if the layer comprises line features.

Has anyone got this working with areas on 6.4.3?

Cheers,
Richard

Re: v.label.sa not working with areas?

Moritz Lennert
On 21/04/13 10:01, RichardC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using GRASS 6.4.3 and cannot get v.label.sa to work with areas. On
> running the following I get an empty labels file.
>
> v.label.sa --verbose map=hydrobasins_africa@hydrolayers type=area
> column=MAJ_NAME labels=africa_basins_sa font=Trebuchet_MS size=0.5 color=red
>
> However, it works with lines - I can output a labels file if the layer
> comprises line features.
>
> Has anyone got this working with areas?

I just tested with census_wake2000 from the NC demo dataset and can
confirm the issue.

The problem seems to be with the type 'area' which is not recognised
somewhere along the process. Adding the option 'centroid' to the 'type'
parameter and using that option makes it create the expected labels.

Could you file a bug about this ?

I'm not sure which would be the better solution:

- Leave the options as is and change the code so that 'area' is remapped
to 'centroid'

- Change the options from area to centroid.

Moritz

Re: v.label.sa not working with areas?

RichardCooper

Re: v.label.sa not working with areas?

Wolf Bergenheim
I'm picking this bug up. I'll continue working on this missing feature. I never got around to implementing it, but now that I see people are using and wanting this feature I'm more than happy to actually work on it!

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM, RichardC <[hidden email]> wrote:
Filed bug report at  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1942
<http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1942>