user-defined srs?

Alex Petkov
1. What is the proper way for defining a user SRS that is not in the
epsg.properties file?
2. Is there a range of code numbers that I should use?

Basically, we have raster layers that are defined in the following
projection:
=======================
Lambert Conformal Conic
False_Easting: 0.000000
False_Northing: 0.000000
Central_Meridian: -97.850006
Standard_Parallel_1: 33.000000
Standard_Parallel_2: 45.000000
Latitude_Of_Origin: 43.569996

GCS_WGS_1984
======================

I would like to re-project the vector layers to the same projection as the
raster file.
Now I get it working by un-jaring the gt2-epsg.jar, modifying the
epsg.properties file (adding an entry), and jar-ing the gt2-epsg.jar again.

This seems quite impractical, since there are frequent geoserver releases,
and it would require modifying the file during each geoserver software
upgrade.

Is there an easier way to accomplish what I need?

Thanks,

Alex