Quantcast

use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Karsten-3-2

Hi,

I was wondering if the ESRI file geodatabase format now can be used with QGIS because gdal/ogr 1.9 apparently contains that driver ..?

So the question is whether I would e able use a file geodatabase in a (if needed custom built ) QGIS when I would have a gdal 1.9 compiled with file geodatabase support on my system or would there need to be additional changes to the QGIS itself needed to enable this ?

Cheers Karsten

Karsten Vennemann
Principal

Terra GIS LTD
2119 Boyer Ave E
Seattle
WA  98112

USA
www.terragis.net

=======
http://www.pctools.com
=======

Re: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Even Rouault
Le mercredi 12 octobre 2011 21:38:20, karsten a écrit :

> Hi,
>

> I was wondering if the ESRI file geodatabase format now can be used with
> QGIS because gdal/ogr 1.9 apparently contains that driver ..?
>
> So the question is whether I would e able use a file geodatabase in a (if
> needed custom built ) QGIS when I would have a gdal 1.9 compiled with file
> geodatabase support on my system or would there need to be additional
> changes to the QGIS itself needed to enable this ?

No change required in QGIS. It's abstracted by OGR API. It works already
provided that you build GDAL against the FileGDB SDK and link QGIS against
this GDAL build.

> Cheers Karsten
>
> Karsten Vennemann
> Principal
>
> Terra GIS LTD
> 2119 Boyer Ave E
> Seattle, WA  98112
> USA
> www.terragis.net <http://www.terragis.net/>
>

> =======
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

RE: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Karsten-3-2
Thanks Even, that is very good news.
I am trying to compile on windows with no luck. What was your procedure to
build gdal and the gdal FGB plug-in (in case you did that ;) ) ?

I was using packages from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/  (like
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-dev.zip
e.g. ) and MSVC 2010 Express.

Thanks
Karsten

Le mercredi 12 octobre 2011 21:38:20, karsten a écrit :

> Hi,
>

> I was wondering if the ESRI file geodatabase format now can be used with
> QGIS because gdal/ogr 1.9 apparently contains that driver ..?
>
> So the question is whether I would e able use a file geodatabase in a (if
> needed custom built ) QGIS when I would have a gdal 1.9 compiled with file
> geodatabase support on my system or would there need to be additional
> changes to the QGIS itself needed to enable this ?

No change required in QGIS. It's abstracted by OGR API. It works already
provided that you build GDAL against the FileGDB SDK and link QGIS against
this GDAL build.

> Cheers Karsten
>
> Karsten Vennemann
> Principal
>
> Terra GIS LTD
> 2119 Boyer Ave E
> Seattle, WA  98112
> USA
> www.terragis.net <http://www.terragis.net/>
>

> =======
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Patrice Vetsel-2
I'm searching to do the same (with no luck) on Mac because gdal1.9 is supporting the french cadastre system : edigeo

Regards

Le 13 oct. 2011 à 00:22, karsten a écrit :

Thanks Even, that is very good news.
I am trying to compile on windows with no luck. What was your procedure to
build gdal and the gdal FGB plug-in (in case you did that ;) ) ?

I was using packages from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/  (like
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-dev.zip
e.g. ) and MSVC 2010 Express.

[hidden email]
Thanks
Karsten

Re: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Rainer M Krug-6

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mercredi 12 octobre 2011 21:38:20, karsten a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> I was wondering if the ESRI file geodatabase format now can be used with
> QGIS because gdal/ogr 1.9 apparently contains that driver ..?
>
> So the question is whether I would e able use a file geodatabase in a (if
> needed custom built ) QGIS when I would have a gdal 1.9 compiled with file
> geodatabase support on my system or would there need to be additional
> changes to the QGIS itself needed to enable this ?

No change required in QGIS. It's abstracted by OGR API. It works already
provided that you build GDAL against the FileGDB SDK and link QGIS against
this GDAL build.

Is it possible to do this dynamically, i.e. without recompiling / installing QGIS?

So can I change gdal dynamically?

Rainer

> Cheers Karsten
>
> Karsten Vennemann
> Principal
>
> Terra GIS LTD
> 2119 Boyer Ave E
> Seattle, WA  98112
> USA
> www.terragis.net <http://www.terragis.net/>
>

> =======
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

Re: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Rainer,

On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 09:17:17 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Even Rouault <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
> > No change required in QGIS. It's abstracted by OGR API. It works already
> > provided that you build GDAL against the FileGDB SDK and link QGIS against
> > this GDAL build.

> Is it possible to do this dynamically, i.e. without recompiling /
> installing QGIS?

If QGIS is already built against the GDAL you equip with FileGDB, you don't
need to rebuild it.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Jürgen E. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rainer,

On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 09:17:17 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Even Rouault <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
> > No change required in QGIS. It's abstracted by OGR API. It works already
> > provided that you build GDAL against the FileGDB SDK and link QGIS against
> > this GDAL build.

> Is it possible to do this dynamically, i.e. without recompiling /
> installing QGIS?

If QGIS is already built against the GDAL you equip with FileGDB, you don't
need to rebuild it.

So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7 and I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?

Rainer

Jürgen

On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7 and
> I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?

Yes.

Jürgen

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Jürgen E. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rainer,

On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7 and
> I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?

Yes.

That's a pity. Would be great, if gdal could be exchanged dynamically.

Cheers,

Rainer

Jürgen

Le jeudi 13 octobre 2011 11:53:46, Jürgen E. Fischer a écrit :
> Hi Rainer,
>
> On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7
> > and I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?
>
> Yes.

No ;-) I use all the time my dev version of GDAL and have never recompiled
QGIS to be able to do it (provided the GDAL version you link against QGIS is
>= the GDAL version used to compile QGIS). I'm on Linux. It might perhaps be
harder on other platforms : I just haven't tried to do it on them.

I just have to make sure that my gdal shared object has the same name (or
creates a symlink) as the one expected by QGIS (libgdal1.6.0.so.1 in my case),
and add in LD_LIBRARY_PATH the name of the directory with this custom build.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le jeudi 13 octobre 2011 11:53:46, Jürgen E. Fischer a écrit :
> Hi Rainer,
>
> On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7
> > and I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?
>
> Yes.

No ;-) I use all the time my dev version of GDAL and have never recompiled
QGIS to be able to do it (provided the GDAL version you link against QGIS is
>= the GDAL version used to compile QGIS). I'm on Linux. It might perhaps be
harder on other platforms : I just haven't tried to do it on them.

I just have to make sure that my gdal shared object has the same name (or
creates a symlink) as the one expected by QGIS (libgdal1.6.0.so.1 in my case),
and add in LD_LIBRARY_PATH the name of the directory with this custom build.

That is really good to know.  Which file is the "gdal shared object"?

It would be really great, if qgis could be compilded without having gdal actually installed, and in qgis to have a setting where to find it. This would make qgis much more flexible to use.

Rainer

> Jürgen

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

Re: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Even,

On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 19:33:36 +0200, Even Rouault wrote:

> > On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > > So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7
> > > and I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> No ;-) I use all the time my dev version of GDAL and have never recompiled
> QGIS to be able to do it (provided the GDAL version you link against QGIS is
> >= the GDAL version used to compile QGIS). I'm on Linux. It might perhaps be
> harder on other platforms : I just haven't tried to do it on them.

Ok, given the stable GDAL C-API I was also tempted to describe this, still
that's cheating ;)

Jürgen

Le jeudi 13 octobre 2011 20:57:29, Jürgen E. Fischer a écrit :

> Hi Even,

> > > Yes.
> >
> > No ;-) I use all the time my dev version of GDAL and have never
> > recompiled QGIS to be able to do it (provided the GDAL version you link
> > against QGIS is
> >
> > >= the GDAL version used to compile QGIS). I'm on Linux. It might perhaps
> > >be
> >
> > harder on other platforms : I just haven't tried to do it on them.
>
> Ok, given the stable GDAL C-API I was also tempted to describe this, still
> that's cheating ;)

Not really cheating, but advanced use for power users, certainly. So far, the
GDAL project has made its best to guarantee ABI stability for the C API
accross 1.X versions, so it would be a shame not using it.

> Jürgen

RE: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Karsten-3-2
Thanks Even for your input. Thanks to Tamas' I now have a working gdal/ogr
built ( I mean one that supports FGDB ). I copied the files to
\Quantum GIS Wroclaw\bin\FileGDBAPI.dll and
\Quantum GIS Wroclaw \bin\gdalplugins\ogr_FileGDB.dll

Anyway I could not find where in the QGIS UI is an option to add a FGDB
layer (I tried “add vector layer” but FGDB was not listed there yet).
But maybe that's not the correct location ? Any hints what I need to do ?
Karsten

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Le lundi 17 octobre 2011 07:59:49, karsten a écrit :
> Thanks Even for your input. Thanks to Tamas' I now have a working gdal/ogr
> built ( I mean one that supports FGDB ). I copied the files to
> \Quantum GIS Wroclaw\bin\FileGDBAPI.dll and
> \Quantum GIS Wroclaw \bin\gdalplugins\ogr_FileGDB.dll
>
> Anyway I could not find where in the QGIS UI is an option to add a FGDB
> layer (I tried “add vector layer” but FGDB was not listed there yet).
> But maybe that's not the correct location ? Any hints what I need to do ?
> Karsten

Yes, use Add vector layer, select the Directory radio button and in the file
browser, select a foo.gdb directory. No need for the FGDB to be explicitely
listed.

RE: use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Karsten-3-2
Thanks that worked (but is hard you find if you don't know)
Cheers
Karsten