upgraded 3.10 project, now it no longer zooms to point location, but works on new projects

upgraded 3.10 project, now it no longer zooms to point location, but works on new projects

Jason Carlson
Hi all, I've been using QGIS for just over a year now and exclusively since about February as I didn't reinstall ArcGIS on my new computer at that time.

In QGIS 3.10 if I open a project (created in a different previous version of QGIS ranging from 3.4 - 3.8) and then I:
  1. Open an attribute table of a layer that contains point geometry
  2. Select one of the records in that attribute table
  3. Click "Zoom Map to selected rows"
It puts me hundreds of miles off my map entirely (so a blank screen). This only happens with records that have single point geom (if it is a line or polygon it works fine).

If I remove the layer and re-add it back, the problem still exists. However, if I create a brand new project in 3.10 and add that exact same layer (all are stored in PostGIS database), the issue is not there and it works as expected. So the issue seems to stem from old "working" projects that are now opened in the newer version of QGIS.

Has anyone else seen this or something similar? Is there anyway of fixing the project file without having to recreate it all from scratch so I can use these in the new version of QGIS?

Jason Carlson

IT/GIS Administrator

403.772.3793

Starland County
Morrin, AB
(403) 772-3793

Our organization accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. The content of this message is confidential. If you have received it by mistake, please inform us by an email reply and then delete the message. It is forbidden to copy, forward, or in any way reveal the contents of this message to anyone.

Re: upgraded 3.10 project, now it no longer zooms to point location, but works on new projects

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Jason,

Which coordinate reference system did you define in your project? https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_projections/working_with_projections.html#project-coordinate-reference-systems

Regards

Matthias

On 11/4/19 5:43 PM, Jason Carlson wrote:
[...]

Hi Matthias,

All the older projects I inherited were using are EPSG is 26912 (NAD83/UTM Zone 12N), however they don't have a single layer that uses that EPSG.

This layer I'm seeing the issues with is EPSG:3401 (NAD83/Alberta 10-TM (Resource))
Most layers in my system that I import on a regular basis are EPSG: 4269
The remaining few layers (mostly from 3rd party sources) are EPSG: 4326

As I don't actually have any layers that are 26912 in my project so it struck me as odd why that was used. When I asked, the former GIS person told to just keep using the same project 26912 for all new projects because it works. I was new to GIS myself so I never questioned it, however, I have since learned they didn't really understand GIS at all so I needed to unlearn a lot of what they showed me.

Because most of my layers were 4269, I have been using that in new projects. I was thinking of changing that in existing projects but as they all seemed to work fine, I never did look into messing with that.

When I open the CRS tab of the Project Properties. In the "Recently used coordinate ref systems" the top 7 are * Generated CRS, not standard ones.

Jason Carlson

IT/GIS Administrator

403.772.3793

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I think I solved the problem. I changed the projects EPSG to 4269 (what almost all my layers are in) and everything got squashed vertically. That also happened if I went to 4326 (and that one also threw out my styles as I often use map units for my styles). I then tried 3401 (which is just three of my layers) and everything looks to be working and the issue with not being able to zoom to a point goes away. The only downside was all my layout maps are blank but I just needed to reposition them and all is good.
I did end up finding one layer in our archives that was EPSG 26912 and that was a really old municipality border shapefile so I'm guessing that used to be projects starting point years back.

There was also a side benefit, before switching to EPSG 3401, everytime I closed QGIS it crashed. There was never any data corruption so it wasn't a big concern, but now it just closes as it should.

Thanks for getting me looking in the right direction.

Jason Carlson