upgrade geofence hibernate

12

upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Hello,

I'd like to upgrade hibernate in geofence from 3.6.0.Final +spatial
1.1.1 to hibernate 5.x. Hibernate spatial pulls in old dependencies that
conflict with recent postgres/postgis stores. Is there any objection to
that?

Note - the same versions are defined in geoserver master pom, but they
are only used by the geofence extensions. Monitor uses an even older
version specifically defined in their own pom - ideally should be
updated as well.

Kind Regards,
Niels

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Nuno Oliveira-3
Hi,

What dependencies are conflicting with recent postgres/postgis stores and what are actually the issues ?
Anyway Hibernate 3.6.0.Final was release 7 years ago and has two major versions on top of it so upgrading to a more recent version is probably something that should be done:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.hibernate/hibernate-core

My main concern is the impact on existing installations of GeoFence, taking in account the commonly used databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...) which versions will still compatible ?
Hibernate rely on the JDBC driver of the database so the question can be rephrased, which JDBC versions are supported by 3.6.0.Final that are no supported by 5.x ?

The spatial extension of Hibernate also suffered several changes, do you see possible incompatibility issues ?

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira

On 01-06-2017 15:00, Niels Charlier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to upgrade hibernate in geofence from 3.6.0.Final +spatial 1.1.1 to hibernate 5.x. Hibernate spatial pulls in old dependencies that conflict with recent postgres/postgis stores. Is there any objection to that?
>
> Note - the same versions are defined in geoserver master pom, but they are only used by the geofence extensions. Monitor uses an even older version specifically defined in their own pom - ideally should be updated as well.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Niels

==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:   +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o nel/i file/s allegato/i sono
da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate
nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di darcene notizia via e
-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo
anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree
June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content,
accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Hello Nuno,

On 01-06-17 17:00, Nuno Oliveira wrote:
Hi,

What dependencies are conflicting with recent postgres/postgis stores and what are actually the issues ?

I don't actually know... This is the only information that has been given to me. I could find out though, but I understand you agree with an upgrade in principle.

Anyway Hibernate 3.6.0.Final was release 7 years ago and has two major versions on top of it so upgrading to a more recent version is probably something that should be done:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.hibernate/hibernate-core

My main concern is the impact on existing installations of GeoFence, taking in account the commonly used databases (PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...) which versions will still compatible ?
Hibernate rely on the JDBC driver of the database so the question can be rephrased, which JDBC versions are supported by 3.6.0.Final that are no supported by 5.x ?
From the hibernate website:

"Hibernate 5.2 and later versions require at least Java 1.8 and JDBC 4.2.

Hibernate 5.1 and older versions require at least Java 1.6 and JDBC 4.0."

I found posts via google that suggest hibernate 3.6 supported JDBC3, but I cannot find any official documentation that confirms this.

I think we could opt for hibernate 5.1 if that makes things more backwards compatible, because I was asked 5.x

The spatial extension of Hibernate also suffered several changes, do you see possible incompatibility issues ?

I cannot find documentation that lists migration issues. I am assuming I will face quite a few issues, but that these can be resolved. I am hoping that the test coverage is sufficient, so that if I can make all the tests work again I can assume that it works...

Regards
Niels

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Nuno Oliveira-3
GeoFence uses GitHub issues: https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues

So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html

On 02-06-2017 10:53, Niels Charlier wrote:
[...]

From the hibernate website:

[...]

Emanuele Tajariol-2
Hi all,

please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on the
generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0), so it
should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate version we'll
want to use.
The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
   https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
but there's no recent activity on it.
Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
persistence and service modules.

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

Alle 09:54:10 di Monday 5 June 2017, Nuno Oliveira ha scritto:

> GeoFence uses GitHub issues: https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues
>
> So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html
>
> On 02-06-2017 10:53, Niels Charlier wrote:
> > question: is there a JIRA for work on geofence's own modules (not the
> > ones in geoserver)?
> >
> > Regards
> > Niels
> >
> > On 02-06-17 11:24, Niels Charlier wrote:

> >> I don't actually know... This is the only information that has been
> >> given to me. I could find out though, but I understand you agree with
> >> an upgrade in principle.

> >> From the hibernate website:
> >>
> >> "Hibernate 5.2 and later versions require at least Java 1.8 and JDBC
> >> 4.2.
> >>
> >> Hibernate 5.1 and older versions require at least Java 1.6 and JDBC
> >> 4.0."
> >>

> >> I found posts via google that suggest hibernate 3.6 supported JDBC3, but
> >> I cannot find any official documentation that confirms this.
> >>

> >> I think we could opt for hibernate 5.1 if that makes things more
> >> backwards compatible, because I was asked 5.x

> >> I cannot find documentation that lists migration issues. I am assuming I
> >> will face quite a few issues, but that these can be resolved. I am
> >> hoping that the test coverage is sufficient, so that if I can make all
> >> the tests work again I can assume that it works...
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Niels

==
Visit http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Emanuele Tajariol
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:    +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  380 2116282

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Right... This project seems to have been abandoned.

Wow, major rework indeed... but unavoidable :/ We will need to get rid
of this library if we ever want to upgrade hibernate.

Thanks for that important point, Emanuele.

Regards
Niels

On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on the
> generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0), so it
> should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate version we'll
> want to use.
> The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
>     https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
> but there's no recent activity on it.
> Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
> persistence and service modules.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Emanuele
>

> Alle 09:54:10 di Monday 5 June 2017, Nuno Oliveira ha scritto:
>> GeoFence uses GitHub issues: https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues
>>
>> So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
>> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html
>>
>> On 02-06-2017 10:53, Niels Charlier wrote:
>>> question: is there a JIRA for work on geofence's own modules (not the
>>> ones in geoserver)?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Niels

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Emanuele,

I see three possible options:

1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options
(a) make a whole new DAO api and immediately modify all the services to
the work with it -> major!
(b) create a deprecated bridging API so that the services code do not
all need to be changed at once

2) Internalise the generic DAO, which would essentially mean copy-paste
a lot of code from the hibernate-generic-dao library and then I wonder
if we wouldn't just better go for option 3

3) patch the existing library to work with the new hibernate. This could
potentially actually be the least work of all - possibly not much is
needed to make it work again, but I'd need more analysis. Then again, it
must be abandoned for a reason?

DO you agree with my analysis? What do you think of these options? What
is your preference?

Regards
Niels

On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on the
> generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0), so it
> should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate version we'll
> want to use.
> The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
>     https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
> but there's no recent activity on it.
> Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
> persistence and service modules.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Emanuele
>

> Alle 09:54:10 di Monday 5 June 2017, Nuno Oliveira ha scritto:
>> GeoFence uses GitHub issues: https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues
>>
>> So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
>> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html
>>
>> On 02-06-2017 10:53, Niels Charlier wrote:
>>> question: is there a JIRA for work on geofence's own modules (not the
>>> ones in geoserver)?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Niels

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Hello Emanuele,

Have you had the chance to look at this email?

We would like to upgrade to Hibernate 5.2 after all, which means JDBC
4.2. Would that be okay?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards
Niels

On 08-06-17 17:54, Niels Charlier wrote:

> Emanuele,
>
> I see three possible options:
>
> 1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
> the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options
> (a) make a whole new DAO api and immediately modify all the services
> to the work with it -> major!
> (b) create a deprecated bridging API so that the services code do not
> all need to be changed at once
>
> 2) Internalise the generic DAO, which would essentially mean
> copy-paste a lot of code from the hibernate-generic-dao library and
> then I wonder if we wouldn't just better go for option 3
>
> 3) patch the existing library to work with the new hibernate. This
> could potentially actually be the least work of all - possibly not
> much is needed to make it work again, but I'd need more analysis. Then
> again, it must be abandoned for a reason?
>
> DO you agree with my analysis? What do you think of these options?
> What is your preference?
>
> Regards
> Niels
>
> On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily
>> on the
>> generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0), so it
>> should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate
>> version we'll
>> want to use.
>> The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
>>     https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
>> but there's no recent activity on it.
>> Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
>> persistence and service modules.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Emanuele
>>

>> Alle 09:54:10 di Monday 5 June 2017, Nuno Oliveira ha scritto:
>>> GeoFence uses GitHub issues:
>>> https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues
>>>
>>> So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
>>> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
>>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Emanuele Tajariol-2
Hi Niels,

> 1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
> the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options

Since the DAO module shall work both inside the standalone GeoFence version
and within GeoServer (when using the geofence-server plugin), I'd go with the
full removal of the genericdao library, and use the same libs GeoServer is
already using.
If GeoServer is not using anything particular, we may just go and see if we
can simply use the hibernate API to do most of the filtering work that is done
using the genericdao lib.

1b) requires some more work that will eventually be dropped, and probably the
work on the fixing needed to make the bridging API work will be comparable to
the 1a) option.

I wouldn't pick 2) or 3), since it means to become the maintainer of a quite
unrelated project :)

I guess that the 1a) option may be the cheaper in the long run.

   Cheers,
   Emanuele

Alle 17:54:30 di Thursday 8 June 2017, Niels Charlier ha scritto:

> Emanuele,
>
> I see three possible options:
>
> 1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
> the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options
> (a) make a whole new DAO api and immediately modify all the services to
> the work with it -> major!
> (b) create a deprecated bridging API so that the services code do not
> all need to be changed at once
>
> 2) Internalise the generic DAO, which would essentially mean copy-paste
> a lot of code from the hibernate-generic-dao library and then I wonder
> if we wouldn't just better go for option 3
>
> 3) patch the existing library to work with the new hibernate. This could
> potentially actually be the least work of all - possibly not much is
> needed to make it work again, but I'd need more analysis. Then again, it
> must be abandoned for a reason?
>
> DO you agree with my analysis? What do you think of these options? What
> is your preference?
>
> Regards
> Niels
>
> On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on
> > the generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0),
> > so it should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate
> > version we'll want to use.
> >
> > The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
> >     https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
> >
> > but there's no recent activity on it.
> > Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
> > persistence and service modules.
> >
> >     Cheers,
> >     Emanuele
> >
> > Alle 09:54:10 di Monday 5 June 2017, Nuno Oliveira ha scritto:
> >> GeoFence uses GitHub issues:
> >> https://github.com/geoserver/geofence/issues
> >>
> >> So at least JDBC 4.0 is required:
> >> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#archived
> >> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.ht
> >> ml

==
Visit http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Emanuele Tajariol
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:    +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  380 2116282

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Niels Charlier
Hello Emanuele,

Thanks for your comments. We feel the same way about option (3),
although I feel it would be the easiest in short run, our concern is
indeed that we will end up needing to support this library by ourselves.

What about this question:

We would like to upgrade to Hibernate 5.2 after all, which means moving
to JDBC 4.2. Would that be okay for your end?

Kind Regards

Niels

On 30-06-17 19:28, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:

> Hi Niels,
>
>> 1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
>> the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options
> Since the DAO module shall work both inside the standalone GeoFence version
> and within GeoServer (when using the geofence-server plugin), I'd go with the
> full removal of the genericdao library, and use the same libs GeoServer is
> already using.
> If GeoServer is not using anything particular, we may just go and see if we
> can simply use the hibernate API to do most of the filtering work that is done
> using the genericdao lib.
>
> 1b) requires some more work that will eventually be dropped, and probably the
> work on the fixing needed to make the bridging API work will be comparable to
> the 1a) option.
>
> I wouldn't pick 2) or 3), since it means to become the maintainer of a quite
> unrelated project :)
>
> I guess that the 1a) option may be the cheaper in the long run.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Emanuele
>

> Alle 17:54:30 di Thursday 8 June 2017, Niels Charlier ha scritto:
>> Emanuele,
>>
>> I see three possible options:
>>
>> 1) Switch to another framework, in which case spring data seems to be
>> the obvious choice to me. There are two sub-options
>> (a) make a whole new DAO api and immediately modify all the services to
>> the work with it -> major!
>> (b) create a deprecated bridging API so that the services code do not
>> all need to be changed at once
>>
>> 2) Internalise the generic DAO, which would essentially mean copy-paste
>> a lot of code from the hibernate-generic-dao library and then I wonder
>> if we wouldn't just better go for option 3
>>
>> 3) patch the existing library to work with the new hibernate. This could
>> potentially actually be the least work of all - possibly not much is
>> needed to make it work again, but I'd need more analysis. Then again, it
>> must be abandoned for a reason?
>>
>> DO you agree with my analysis? What do you think of these options? What
>> is your preference?
>>
>> Regards
>> Niels
>>
>> On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on
>>> the generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0),
>>> so it should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate
>>> version we'll want to use.
>>>
>>> The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
>>>      https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
>>>
>>> but there's no recent activity on it.
>>> Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the
>>> persistence and service modules.
>>>
>>>      Cheers,

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

Amiram Rahav
Hi Niels,

Geotools is already using JDBC 4.2, so using anything but 4.2 is going to be a bit problematic.

Well, looking at hibernate, when building Geofence integrated version, the Postgres JDBC driver pulled in by hibernate will have to be excluded to not cause conflicts with Geotools:

A different option might be to have instructions to delete the one pulled in by geotools, but I think that will end up being too confusing.

Thanks,
Ami

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 8:17 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Send Geoserver-devel mailing list submissions to

than "Re: Contents of Geoserver-devel digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: upgrade geofence hibernate (Niels Charlier)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 20:39:30 +0200
From: Niels Charlier <[hidden email]>
To: Emanuele Tajariol <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-devel] upgrade geofence hibernate

> [...]

>> needed to make it work again, but I'd need more analysis. Then again, it
>> must be abandoned for a reason?
>>
>> DO you agree with my analysis? What do you think of these options? What
>> is your preference?
>>
>> Regards
>> Niels
>>
>> On 05-06-17 11:08, Emanuele Tajariol wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> please also note that, on top of hibernate, GeoFence relies heavily on
>>> the generic-dao library (com.googlecode.genericdao:dao version 1.1.0),
>>> so it should also be checked that it is compatible with the hibernate
>>> version we'll want to use.
>>>
>>> The lib seems to have been automatically migrated here:
>>>      https://github.com/based2/hibernate-generic-dao
>>>
>>> but there's no recent activity on it.
>>> Replacing that library in GeoFence will require a major rework of the

------------------------------

------------------------------

End of Geoserver-devel Digest, Vol 134, Issue 2

Re: upgrade geofence hibernate

geowolf
On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Amiram Rahav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Niels,

Geotools is already using JDBC 4.2

Is GeoTools using JDBC 4.2 for all databases already, did you check?
Using hibernate is partly about database independence, I know that the postgis store
was recently updated, what about the others? (oracle, sqlserver, mysql, H2, ...)

Cheer
Andrea

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

[...]

Taking another look at Hibernate, things might be a bit more complicated.
There is a PR to add some JDBC 4.2 type names -  https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/1940

We will likely see some version conflict with other Geotools dependencies:
For Oracle the suggestion is to use ojdbc6/7 (JDBC 4.0/4.1), but the hibernate PR from above will pull in ojdbc8.
For MSSQL the suggestion is to use sqljdbc41, however I've been using JDBC 4.2 at several clients.
mysql looks to be 4.0, however it might have limited implementation of 4.1.
H2 looks like JDBC3, it might implement JDBC 4.0, however based on the version/age that is probably minimal.

I still think the Geofence work should be done against JDBC 4.2 and not 4.0, however the Geoserver integrated GeoFence version will likely have to wait until that Hibernate PR is merged.

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Amiram Rahav <[hidden email]> wrote:
I should have said Postgres :-)

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 9:15 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Amiram Rahav <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Niels,

Geotools is already using JDBC 4.2

Is GeoTools using JDBC 4.2 for all databases already, did you check?
Using hibernate is partly about database independence, I know that the postgis store
was recently updated, what about the others? (oracle, sqlserver, mysql, H2, ...)

Cheer
Andrea

Andrea Aime

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Ami,

In any case, the biggest load of the work will be rewriting the DAO's which needs to be done either way.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be an option to upgrade to hibernate 5.1 /jdbc4 for now, and make a further upgrade later (which would likely require little work anyway).
Just a suggestion.

Kind Regards
Niels

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054  Massarosa (LU) phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+39 0584 962313 fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+39 0584 1660272 mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+39  339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

[...]

We agree now about the refactoring of the DAO, but do we definitely agree about which version to upgrade to?

I need to make sure everyone is on the same page before I start work.

Ami suggests upgrading the geofence modules to JDBC 4.2, but leave the integrated geofence to work with the older geofence modules until the hibernate PR for jdbc 4.2 has been merged.

Do the maintainers of the geofence modules agree with this plan?

Alternatively, I suggest we could upgrade to jdbc4 for now, since that seems to work with most modules in geotools/geoserver anyway.

Kind Regards
Niels

There is a PR to add some JDBC 4.2 type names - https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/1940 <https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/pull/1940>.

    [hidden email]> wrote:

        On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Amiram Rahav
        <[hidden email] [hidden email]> wrote:

            Hi Niels,

            Geotools is already using JDBC 4.2

        Is GeoTools using JDBC 4.2 for all databases already, did you
        check?
        Using hibernate is partly about database independence, I know
        that the postgis store
        was recently updated, what about the others? (oracle,
        sqlserver, mysql, H2, ...)

        Cheer
        Andrea

        Andrea Aime

        ==GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
        http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.==Ing. Andrea Aime
        @geowolfTechnical LeadGeoSolutions S.A.S.Via di Montramito
        3/A55054  Massarosa (LU)phone: +39 0584 962313
        <tel:+39%200584%20962313>fax: +39 0584 1660272
        <tel:+39%200584%20166%200272>mob: +39  339 8844549
        <tel:+39%20339%20884%204549>http://www.geo-solutions.ithttp://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
[...]

I think that regardless of what we do we will have version conflicts with the integrated version. There isn't a really simple/easy way around that.

For the stand alone version, I think it's safe to go with the latest version, however will defer to the geofence modules maintainers on this.

Thanks,
Ami.

    [hidden email]> wrote:

        On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Amiram Rahav
        <[hidden email] [hidden email]> wrote:

            Hi Niels,

            Geotools is already using JDBC 4.2

        Is GeoTools using JDBC 4.2 for all databases already, did you
        check?
        Using hibernate is partly about database independence, I know
        that the postgis store
        was recently updated, what about the others? (oracle,
        sqlserver, mysql, H2, ...)

        Cheer
        Andrea

        Andrea Aime

        ==GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
        http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.==Ing. Andrea Aime
        @geowolfTechnical LeadGeoSolutions S.A.S.Via di Montramito
        3/A55054  Massarosa (LU)phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
        <tel:+39%200584%20962313>fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
        <tel:+39%200584%20166%200272>mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549
[...]

This thread as a lot of interesting information (thanks for the extra info Ami). That said, I think that to make
a decision we need a summarized description of what are the options \ alternatives and what are the
consequences of those choices (who will this affect users and current installations).

Unless I'm missing something, any upgrade on the standalone GeoFence version will also affect the integrated one no ?

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira

    [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Nuno,

> This thread as a lot of interesting information (thanks for the extra
> info Ami). That said, I think that to make
> a decision we need a summarized description of what are the options \
> alternatives and what are the
> consequences of those choices (who will this affect users and current
> installations).

I had another look, and I don't think there is much reason to stick with
4.1. I actually think that 4.2 is compatible with versions that support
4.1, that is what a lot of the driver specs seem to suggest.

for geotools:

postgres uses version 42.1.1, which supports jdbc 4.1 and 4.2 according
to specs

mysql uses version 5.1.17, which supports jdbc 4.1 and 4.2 according to
specs

h2 1.1.119, is an old version -> might need to upgrade to newest, then
it should work with 4.1 and 4.2

spatialite 3.7.2 -> unclear, upgrade to newer version might be necessary

db2 must add manually, but "db2jcc4.jar - This driver is based on the
JDBC 4 or later specifications"

oracle    must add driver manually, why not use 4.2?

mssql     must add driver manually, why not use 4.2?

teradata  must add driver manually, why not use most recent one?

for geoserver:

jdbcstore and jdbcconfig: they use postgres or H2, we will need same
upgrade for h2

jdbc-metrics: again h2

So the way I understand it, it shouldn't give too much problems. An
upgrade of H2 (and possibly spatialite) should be sufficient I think !?

> Unless I'm missing something, any upgrade on the standalone GeoFence
> version will also affect the integrated one no ?

I think Ami's suggestion was to keep geofence-server running on an older
version of geofence.

However, now I think of it, unless we upgrade the geofence client
module, the new stand-alone version won't be very useful. And if we
upgrade the geofence client module, we must also upgrade the
geofence-server module ... so I guess you are right, this is not an
option, or at least not a very straight-forward one.

Regards
Niels

12