unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

Veronica Andreo
Hi devs,

Since the inclusion of "image collections" in grass79dev, the temporal database is broken, and I get the following message every time I run a t.* command:

ERROR: Unsupported temporal database: version mismatch.
The format of your actual temporal database is not supported any more.
Solution: You need to export it by restoring the GRASS GIS version used for
creating this DB. From there, create a backup of your temporal database to
avoid the loss of your temporal data.
Notes: Use t.rast.export and t.vect.export to make a backup of your
existing space time datasets.To safe the timestamps of your existing maps
and space time datasets, use t.rast.list, t.vect.list and t.rast3d.list.
You can register the existing time stamped maps easily if you export
columns=id,start_time,end_time into text files and use t.register to
register them again in new created space time datasets (t.create). After
the backup remove the existing temporal database, a new one will be created
automatically.
Supported temporal database version is: 2
Current temporal database info:
DBMI interface:..... sqlite3
Temporal database:..
/home/veroandreo/grassdata/eu_laea/italy_lst/tgis/sqlite.db

I do not understand what this really means in terms of what I have to do. I have many many time series, some with tens of thousands of maps (Gb's of data) and I find it really annoying to be forced to export all of them to then import again. Is this really what I need to do?? Isn't there a simpler way??

Can someone provide a more detailed explanation of steps to follow, please?

Thanks much in advance
Vero

Re: unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

Martin Landa
Hi,

čt 5. 9. 2019 v 15:43 odesílatel Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> napsal:
> I do not understand what this really means in terms of what I have to do. I have many many time series, some with tens of thousands of maps (Gb's of data) and I find it really annoying to be forced to export all of them to then import again. Is this really what I need to do?? Isn't there a simpler way??

currently there is probably no better way. It would be nice to
implement automated upgrade logic. Something like

t.connect -u

would do magic upgrade of current TGIS DB from version 2 to 3....

Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

Veronica Andreo
Hi Martin,

El jue., 5 sept. 2019 a las 15:47, Martin Landa (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi,

čt 5. 9. 2019 v 15:43 odesílatel Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> napsal:
> I do not understand what this really means in terms of what I have to do. I have many many time series, some with tens of thousands of maps (Gb's of data) and I find it really annoying to be forced to export all of them to then import again. Is this really what I need to do?? Isn't there a simpler way??

currently there is probably no better way.

This is really bad news...

It would be nice to implement automated upgrade logic. Something like

t.connect -u

would do magic upgrade of current TGIS DB from version 2 to 3....

This would be great indeed; I was actually hoping for something like this. I gues I won't be using grass79dev until such thing exists... :-(

Vero

Re: unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

Markus Neteler
On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 4:04 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> El jue., 5 sept. 2019 a las 15:47, Martin Landa (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>> čt 5. 9. 2019 v 15:43 odesílatel Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> > I do not understand what this really means in terms of what I have to do. I have many many time series, some with tens of thousands of maps (Gb's of data) and I find it really annoying to be forced to export all of them to then import again. Is this really what I need to do?? Isn't there a simpler way??

[...]
>> It would be nice to implement automated upgrade logic. Something like
>>
>> t.connect -u
>>
>> would do magic upgrade of current TGIS DB from version 2 to 3....
>
> This would be great indeed; I was actually hoping for something like this. I gues I won't be using grass79dev until such thing exists... :-(

Did anyone test Martin's efforts at:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/130

It provides a new upgrade script and updates.

Simple testing procedure:
cd grass_master/
# simply add ".diff" to PR number to download the patch:
wget https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/130.diff
patch -p1 < 130.diff

..., compile, test, report :-)

Markus

Re: unsupported temporal database in grass79-dev

Veronica Andreo
Hi all,

I just tested the PR by Martin and it seems to work fine. After running the t.upgrade module, all my STDS were recognized by t.list and t.info.

Sorry for the delay in testing and thanks much!!! See my comments in the PR.

Cheers,
Vero

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:34 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 4:04 PM Veronica Andreo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> [...]
> >> It would be nice to implement automated upgrade logic. Something like
> >>
> >> t.connect -u
> >>
> >> would do magic upgrade of current TGIS DB from version 2 to 3....
> >
> > This would be great indeed; I was actually hoping for something like this. I gues I won't be using grass79dev until such thing exists... :-(
>
> Did anyone test Martin's efforts at:
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/130
>
> It provides a new upgrade script and updates.

I just tested it, it works fine. thanks!

I would suggest to merge it (the question is where to put the helper
script t.upgrade?)

Markus