ubuntu gis policy

Martin Landa
Hi all,

recently ubuntugis maintainers changed their policy. This means that
currently is used this workflow:

OSGeoLive nightly --> UbuntuGIS Testing --> UbuntuGIS Unstable -->
UbuntuGIS Stable

What does it means for GRASS?

1) experimental packages (like Release Candidates) are uploaded to
Testing PPA [1]
2) final version packages are uploaded to Testing and Unstable [2]
3) Stable PPA can contain older version [3]

For user who want to help with testing experimental packages: please
use Testing PPA otherwise use Unstable (if you prefer up-to-date
version) or Stable PPA (you prefer stability - slightly older
versions).

Martin

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-testing
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable
[3] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
SBL

Re: ubuntu gis policy

SBL
Hei Martin,

Do you have any chance to influence the naming of the PPAs?

As recently also discussed on the QGIS mailinglist, packages from a repository named "unstable" can get blocked by system administrators (who not necessarily will take the time to try to understand what is behind all applications), regardless if I as a user tell them that "unstable" actually means "current release"...

Would be nice to have a more admin-friendly name there...

Cheers
Stefan

Re: ubuntu gis policy

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 09/16/2016 01:02 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> recently ubuntugis maintainers changed their policy.

Some context about UbuntuGIS seems to be in order.

UbuntuGIS doesn't really have a policy, unlike Debian GIS which does
have a team policy in addition to the Debian Policy.

There are pretty much no active contributors to UbuntuGIS who maintain
backports of the Debian packages for Ubuntu LTS releases, the packaging
work still done for Ubuntu is centred around OSGeo-Live which does get
package updates for its releases.

The lack of development manpower in UbuntuGIS while still having a
sizeable userbase let to Angelos' initiative to copy the Ubuntu packages
from the OSGeo-Live PPAs to the UbuntuGIS PPAs.

If you care about packages for current upstream version on Ubuntu,
consider contributing to UbuntuGIS. Companies relying on UbuntuGIS for
their operations should consider employing someone to work on UbuntuGIS.

> This means that currently is used this workflow:
>
> OSGeoLive nightly --> UbuntuGIS Testing --> UbuntuGIS Unstable -->
> UbuntuGIS Stable

That's not entirely correct. The recently updated packages in the
UbuntuGIS stable PPA were copied from OSGeo-Live 9.0 whereas the ones in
the UbuntuGIS unstable PPA were copied from OSGeo-Live 9.5 and later
from 10.0.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: ubuntu gis policy

ychemin
+1
same problem been seen more than once

On 16 September 2016 at 13:12, Blumentrath, Stefan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yann Chemin
Skype/FB: yann.chemin

Re: ubuntu gis policy

Martin Landa
Hi Stefan,

> As recently also discussed on the QGIS mailinglist, packages from a repository named "unstable" can get blocked by system administrators (who not necessarily will take the time to try to understand what is behind all applications), regardless if I as a user tell them that "unstable" actually means "current release"...

I completely understand, and agree with your opinion. It's very
confusing. Also from Debian point of view (experimental -> unstable ->
testing -> stable). Please express your opinion on ubuntugis ml (or I
can forward your message if you prefer). Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
SBL

Re: ubuntu gis policy

SBL
Thanks Martin,

Would be great if you could forward the mail, as I am not on that ml...

Cheers
Stefan

> As recently also discussed on the QGIS mailinglist, packages from a repository named "unstable" can get blocked by system administrators (who not necessarily will take the time to try to understand what is behind all applications), regardless if I as a user tell them that "unstable" actually means "current release"...

I completely understand, and agree with your opinion. It's very confusing. Also from Debian point of view (experimental -> unstable -> testing -> stable). Please express your opinion on ubuntugis ml (or I can forward your message if you prefer). Martin

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: ubuntu gis policy

Martin Landa
> Thanks Martin,
>
> Would be great if you could forward the mail, as I am not on that ml...

sure, done. Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: ubuntu gis policy

Martin Landa

based on discussion on ML [1], testing PPA has been renamed to experimental

> OSGeoLive nightly --> UbuntuGIS Testing --> UbuntuGIS Unstable -->
> UbuntuGIS Stable

So:

OSGeoLive nightly --> UbuntuGIS Experimental --> UbuntuGIS Unstable
--> UbuntuGIS Stable

> What does it means for GRASS?
>
> 1) experimental packages (like Release Candidates) are uploaded to
> Testing PPA [1]

update: 1) experimental packages (like Release Candidates) are uploaded to
Experimental PPA [2]

Ma

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2016-September/001511.html
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-experimental

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: ubuntu gis policy

Martin Landa

for those how are testing Ubuntu daily builds [1]. I changed
dependency from `ubuntugis-unstable` to `ubuntugis-experimental`. So
in this case update your `sourcelist.d` area.

Martin

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/linux/#g73x