transifex complaining about pot files

Sandro Santilli-2
Did anyone recently update the source .pot files in an incompatible way ?
Forwarding a couple of mails just received from Transifex
(dunno who else receives these mails)

----- Forwarded message from Transifex <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 19:10:21 -0000
From: Transifex <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Transifex] Automatic update of the source file of introduction.xml.pot in PostGIS failed

Hi Sandro Santilli,

We have not been able to update the source file for the resource introduction.xml.pot[1] of the project PostGIS[2].

The URL we used to update the source file from was https://raw.githubusercontent.com/postgis/postgis/svn-trunk/doc/po/templates/introduction.xml.pot.

The exact error we encountered was:
&#39;ascii&#39; codec can&#39;t encode character u&#39;\xe9&#39; in position 4100: ordinal not in range(128)

[1]: https://www.transifex.com/_/resources/ajax/postgis/postgis/edit/introductionxmlpot/
[2]: https://www.transifex.com/postgis/postgis/

--
The Transifex Robot
https://www.transifex.com/settings/notices/

----- End forwarded message -----

----- Forwarded message from Transifex <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 19:11:28 -0000
From: Transifex <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Transifex] Automatic update of the source file of release_notes.xml.pot in PostGIS failed

Hi Sandro Santilli,

We have not been able to update the source file for the resource release_notes.xml.pot[1] of the project PostGIS[2].

The URL we used to update the source file from was https://raw.githubusercontent.com/postgis/postgis/svn-trunk/doc/po/templates/release_notes.xml.pot.

The exact error we encountered was:
&#39;ascii&#39; codec can&#39;t encode character u&#39;\xe9&#39; in position 14979: ordinal not in range(128)

[1]: https://www.transifex.com/_/resources/ajax/postgis/postgis/edit/release_notesxmlpot/
[2]: https://www.transifex.com/postgis/postgis/

--
The Transifex Robot
https://www.transifex.com/settings/notices/

----- End forwarded message -----

--strk;

Re: transifex complaining about pot files

george-silva

i got the email and i havent updated the file.

ill see if i can fix it.

On Mar 6, 2016 4:30 PM, "Sandro Santilli" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did anyone recently update the source .pot files in an incompatible way ?
Forwarding a couple of mails just received from Transifex
(dunno who else receives these mails)

----- Forwarded message from Transifex <[hidden email]> -----

Re: transifex complaining about pot files

george-silva
Hello everyone.

I'm still receiveing tons of emails.

I have looked into PostGIS Github repository and there are no significant changes in the source files. Transifex started to fail parsing unicode on some of our files. For example "Jorge Arévalo", on introduction.xml.

I'll check with transifex if there is some sort of configuration that we can have or known bug. Very weird that after so much time this starts to fail for no particular reason.

I'll keep you posted.

Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 19:11:28 -0000
From: Transifex <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Hi Sandro Santilli,

We have not been able to update the source file for the resource release_notes.xml.pot[1] of the project PostGIS[2].

The URL we used to update the source file from was https://raw.githubusercontent.com/postgis/postgis/svn-trunk/doc/po/templates/release_notes.xml.pot.

The exact error we encountered was:
&#39;ascii&#39; codec can&#39;t encode character u&#39;\xe9&#39; in position 14979: ordinal not in range(128)

[1]: https://www.transifex.com/_/resources/ajax/postgis/postgis/edit/release_notesxmlpot/
[2]: https://www.transifex.com/postgis/postgis/

--
The Transifex Robot
https://www.transifex.com/settings/notices/

----- End forwarded message -----

--strk;

George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 01:58:20PM -0300, George Silva wrote:

> I'll check with transifex if there is some sort of configuration that we
> can have or known bug. Very weird that after so much time this starts to
> fail for no particular reason.

May be a good time to look at weblate [1] ?

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3339

--strk;

Re: transifex complaining about pot files

george-silva
Hello Sandro,

I already checked the options on the surface and I think it would be better to have our own instance. Does OSGEO have any infrastructure already for this (I mean, a server that has other projects being translated there, with some other software or weblate)?

Let me do a critical analysis on the two options and I'l get back as well. I already reported an issue inside transifex's repo, let's see what they say.

----------------------------

--
George R. C. Silva
Sigma Geosistemas LTDA

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 02:43:56PM -0300, George Silva wrote:
> Hello Sandro,
>
> I already checked the options on the surface and I think it would be better
> to have our own instance. Does OSGEO have any infrastructure already for
> this (I mean, a server that has other projects being translated there, with
> some other software or weblate)?

I agree it would be better to have our own instance.

I'm not aware of any OSGEO machine specifically dedicated
translation (a list of services is on the wiki [1]),
but if there's someone willing to set it up and maintain it
I'm sure it will be possible to request a new VM for the
purpose.  It would probably be a matter of sending a proposal
to the SAC committee [2]

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC_Service_Status

> Let me do a critical analysis on the two options and I'l get back as well.
> I already reported an issue inside transifex's repo, let's see what they
> say.

Sure, no rush. I'd just love to see more independent services
being set up :)

--strk;

Re: transifex complaining about pot files

george-silva
That's good.

I'll check how the OSGEO handles all this, since there are tons of projects that might benefit from this (QGIS, pgRouting, us, etc).

If we can, I think that the sane thing to do would be creating a machine specifically to handle all the translation processes.

Both weblate and Pootle seem to be running Django. If that's the case, it's very easy to maintain and create new features if needed. Perhaps we can even integrate our OSGEO login with this service - being Django, I'm pretty sure it can be easily done.

I'll make a in-depth check of the projects, and I'll install them on my machine to see which one fits better. After that I'm pretty sure I can do that for a temporary server on the web so other can give input.

George

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 03:02:51PM -0300, George Silva wrote:

> Both weblate and Pootle seem to be running Django. If that's the case, it's
> very easy to maintain and create new features if needed. Perhaps we can
> even integrate our OSGEO login with this service - being Django, I'm pretty
> sure it can be easily done.

Yes, that'd be a big advantage over hosted solutions!

> I'll make a in-depth check of the projects, and I'll install them on my
> machine to see which one fits better. After that I'm pretty sure I can do
> that for a temporary server on the web so other can give input.

Thanks a lot for this, really appreciated!
I've updated the ticket to point to this thread.
Looking forward for the test server.

--strk;