tiled vector layer

Gagan Bansal
Hi,

I had requirement to get features by tiles. So that I can cash the requests on server. I achieved this by creating a Strategy as Tiled Feature strategy. In this approach for current map extent I am calculating the tiles in the extent and requesting those tiles from  server. Here is the Tiled Feature Strategy class (http://openlayerstools.sourceforge.net/src/Strategy_TFS.js) and working example on same is http://openlayerstools.sourceforge.net/examples/TFS.html

First thing, I would like to know is that this approach is correct or better solution can be achieved.
If this approach is fine then can it be part of OpenLayers.

Regards,
Gagan

Re: tiled vector layer

Andreas Hocevar-2
Hi,

thank you! I like the idea of having vector data organized in tiles,
so your contribution is definitely appreciated. If you want somebody
to review the code, it would be good if you could create a pull
request on http://github.com/openlayers/openlayers

Having said that, I didn't look at your code, so as of now I cannot
answer your question about whether tis approach makes sense or not.

Andreas.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Gagan Bansal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had requirement to get features by tiles. So that I can cash the requests
> on server. I achieved this by creating a Strategy as Tiled Feature strategy.
> In this approach for current map extent I am calculating the tiles in the
> extent and requesting those tiles from  server. Here is the Tiled Feature
> Strategy class (http://openlayerstools.sourceforge.net/src/Strategy_TFS.js)
> and working example on same is
> http://openlayerstools.sourceforge.net/examples/TFS.html
>
> First thing, I would like to know is that this approach is correct or better
> solution can be achieved.
> If this approach is fine then can it be part of OpenLayers.
>
> Regards,
> Gagan

Andreas Hocevar
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/

Re: tiled vector layer

Gagan Bansal
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the response, Yes I would like if somebody can look into the code, as you suggested I'll create the pull from github and let you know. I am not familiar with  github, but anyway I'll go through the help.

Regards,
Gagan

Re: tiled vector layer

rutsky
Hello!

I'm interested in loading vector data tile/batch-based into OpenLayers, is there any progress with integrating tiled vector layer implementation by Gadan into OpenLayers sources or any further development of current implementation?

Or maybe there is better way to accomplish initial goal?

Vladimir Rutsky

Re: tiled vector layer

rutsky
This is reply to March 7 2012 thread "tiled vector layer".

On 04/28/2012 03:52 PM, rutsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm interested in loading vector data tile/batch-based into OpenLayers, is
> there any progress with integrating tiled vector layer implementation by
> Gadan into OpenLayers sources or any further development of current
> implementation?
>
> Or maybe there is better way to accomplish initial goal?

--
Vladimir Rutsky

Re: tiled vector layer

Gagan Bansal
Hi Vladimir,

You can read more detail about Tiled Feature Strategy here
http://gaganb.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/tile-feature-strategy-in-openlayers/

for any doubt, please let me know.

Regards,
Gagan

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM, rutsky [via OSGeo.org]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm interested in loading vector data tile/batch-based into OpenLayers, is
> there any progress with integrating tiled vector layer implementation by
> Gadan into OpenLayers sources or any further development of current
> implementation?
>
> Or maybe there is better way to accomplish initial goal?
>
> --
> Vladimir Rutsky

> NAML

Re: tiled vector layer

rutsky
Hi Gagan!

On 05/01/2012 09:30 PM, Gagan Bansal wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> You can read more detail about Tiled Feature Strategy here
> http://gaganb.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/tile-feature-strategy-in-openlayers/
>
> for any doubt, please let me know.
Is any work toward integration your changes in OpenLayers is done?

I think published version shouldn't work with recent OpenLayers out of
the box, I patched Strategy_TFS.js it to get it work according to recent
version of BBOX.js from OpenLayers distribution (attaching patch).

--
Vladimir Rutsky

fix-for-some-boundary-cases.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: tiled vector layer

Gagan Bansal
Thanks Vladimir for this bug fix. Nice you have created a patch as well. Still integration with OpenLayers is pending. But hope you are able to use it for your requirement.

Regards,
Gagan