the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hi Sanghee,

congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:

Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.

Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.

Best regards,
Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

Cameron Shorter
Hi Sanghee,
Congratulations.
One organisation tool which have worked well for prior FOSS4G events is to set up a wiki to collect your ideas as you go along. It can start out small and you can then fill in content as the conference gets closer.
The wiki we used for foss4g 2009 is at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009

In particular, we found it very useful for collaboratively creating press releases, which then becomes an archive after the press release was put out. (You might find it useful to refer back to prior press releases when crafting your own press release.)

Here are the 2009 press releases:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases

And I confirm that I'm happy to help review your press release if you wish.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

stevenfeldman
Congratulations Sanghee

If you want any assistance on the budget feel free to reach out to me.

As a past chair of FOSS4G I know that you may be wondering whether you are thrilled or terrified at the responsibility of hosting a FOSS4G. Believe me it is an incredibly fun and rewarding journey and there are a lot of people who will step up to assist you if you ask (me included).

Best
______
Steven

On 15 May 2014, at 21:43, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Sanghee,

congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:

Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.

Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.

Best regards,
Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

jmckenna
Administrator
Congratulations Sanghee and team!

As Cameron mentioned, drafting your press releases on the OSGeo wiki is
very useful in the long run.  Be sure to include the text
"[[Category:FOSS4G2015]]" at the bottom of every wiki page you create,
and it will magically appear on this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:FOSS4G2015

Congrats again!  Let me/us know if you need anything.

-jeff

On 2014-05-15, 7:02 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Hi Sanghee,
> Congratulations.
> One organisation tool which have worked well for prior FOSS4G events is
> to set up a wiki to collect your ideas as you go along. It can start out
> small and you can then fill in content as the conference gets closer.
> The wiki we used for foss4g 2009 is at:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009
>
> In particular, we found it very useful for collaboratively creating
> press releases, which then becomes an archive after the press release
> was put out. (You might find it useful to refer back to prior press
> releases when crafting your own press release.)
>
> Here are the 2009 press releases:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases
>
> And I confirm that I'm happy to help review your press release if you wish.
>
> On 16/05/2014 6:43 am, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>> Hi Sanghee,
>>
>> congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G
>> 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:
>>
>> Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso
>> that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.
>>
>> Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a
>> press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website
>> up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and
>> Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

Sanghee Shin
Dear all,

On behalf of the FOSS4G 2015 LOC, I would like to thank conference committee and board of OSGeo for your awarding FOSS4G 2015 to South Korea.

Actually I feel honored, excited and at the same time feel terrified just like Steven mentioned. However I believe that we could make FOSS4G 2015 successful one with helps & assists of inside/outside LOC in spite of many difficulties and challenges before us. I hope I and other LOC members could get fun & meanings through long journey of the conference preparation.

Your help and assist are also essential for the success of FOSS4G 2015. Number of delegates, profit of the conference can be the good metrics of success of FOSS4G 2015. At the same time, amount of mutual help & assist, active interaction around LOC can be also good metrics of success of the conference. I’m very happy to see Cameron, Steven’s willingness to help us. Your previous experiences will definitely be great asset to us. I’ll ask many help from you & other OSGeo leaders, please do not turn your face away. ha..

Anyway.. I created wiki page for the FOSS4G 2015 here http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2015 and will draft our first press release there soon.

By the way, Bart, will you announce the selection of Seoul to the OSGeo Discuss mailing list?

Have a nice weekend and regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 5. 15., 오후 9:43, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Hi Sanghee,
>
> congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:
>
> Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.
>
> Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

Sanghee Shin
One more,

Regarding the revision of the budget, we’ll revise that soon and submit again including ‘Half for low-income countries’ simulation and more conservative contingency plan.

Since Korean currency is getting stronger and stronger against US dollars these days, this change of currency exchange rate also should be reflected there, I think.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 5. 16., 오후 1:45, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Dear all,
>
> On behalf of the FOSS4G 2015 LOC, I would like to thank conference committee and board of OSGeo for your awarding FOSS4G 2015 to South Korea.
>
> Actually I feel honored, excited and at the same time feel terrified just like Steven mentioned. However I believe that we could make FOSS4G 2015 successful one with helps & assists of inside/outside LOC in spite of many difficulties and challenges before us. I hope I and other LOC members could get fun & meanings through long journey of the conference preparation.
>
> Your help and assist are also essential for the success of FOSS4G 2015. Number of delegates, profit of the conference can be the good metrics of success of FOSS4G 2015. At the same time, amount of mutual help & assist, active interaction around LOC can be also good metrics of success of the conference. I’m very happy to see Cameron, Steven’s willingness to help us. Your previous experiences will definitely be great asset to us. I’ll ask many help from you & other OSGeo leaders, please do not turn your face away. ha..
>
> Anyway.. I created wiki page for the FOSS4G 2015 here http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2015 and will draft our first press release there soon.
>
> By the way, Bart, will you announce the selection of Seoul to the OSGeo Discuss mailing list?
>
> Have a nice weekend and regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
> http://www.gaia3d.com
> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
>
> 2014. 5. 15., 오후 9:43, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> 작성:
>
>> Hi Sanghee,
>>
>> congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:
>>
>> Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.
>>
>> Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

Sanghee Shin
Dear Conference committee or Board,

I just wonder whether we, the LOC of FOSS4G 2015, could get an official letter or similar thing that officially prove  South Korea was chosen as the FOSS4G 2015 place with signature of OSGeo President, Jeff McKenna.

We were told we need to submit those things to apply for sponsorship or support. I also think that that  official letter would facilitate our activities of getting sponsorship & supports. You know, formality is very important in Korea.

Your help will be appreciated.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 5. 15., 오후 9:43, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Hi Sanghee,
>
> congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:
>
> Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.
>
> Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Re: the board passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Sanghee,

I have drafted an official approval letter, and will send it to you now
directly.

-jeff

On 2014-05-19, 6:24 AM, Sanghee Shin wrote:

> Dear Conference committee or Board,
>
> I just wonder whether we, the LOC of FOSS4G 2015, could get an official letter or similar thing that officially prove  South Korea was chosen as the FOSS4G 2015 place with signature of OSGeo President, Jeff McKenna.
>
> We were told we need to submit those things to apply for sponsorship or support. I also think that that  official letter would facilitate our activities of getting sponsorship & supports. You know, formality is very important in Korea.
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee

Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

Sanghee Shin

Please find the attached revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul including worst case.

For the worst case, we assume that

- Only 300 people will attend
- 270 will pay
- Only 132 will be regular attendants
- 81 people will come from ‘Low-income countries’
- 57 are students who will pay only 80% of regular registration fee

To expect a marginal surplus with this circumstances, we should increase regular fee to USD750 and we should get sponsorship more than USD140,000.

For more details, please see the attached file. Also I expect your comments on this.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 5. 16., 오후 1:50, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> 작성:

> [...]
>>
>> Sanghee
>> ---
>> Shin, Sanghee
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
>> http://www.gaia3d.com
>> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
>> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
>>
>> 2014. 5. 15., 오후 9:43, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> 작성:
>>
>>> Hi Sanghee,
>>>
>>> congratulations, the board has just passed a motion to award FOSS4G 2015 to South-Korea. The exact text of the motion was:
>>>
>>> Motion: accept the Korean proposal for foss4g 2015, under the proviso that the budget is revisited and concerns raised are considered.
>>>
>>> Next step is to create a press release. Are you able to draft up a press release (maybe you want to wait until you have a basic website up and running, I’ll defer to you on that) and get it to Cameron and Jeff (CC-ed) for review? TIA.

FOSS4G_2015_Seoul_Budget_Contingency_0611.ods (108K) Download Attachment

Re: Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

stevenfeldman
OK, it opened in Google docs :) Won’t open on my Mac which thinks it is a zip file :(

Unless you have some big (diamond or platinum) sponsors already committed you may have a problem reaching $140k of sponsorship for an event with 3-400 people.

On the plus side I am sure that you will get more than 300 delegates for an international FOSS4G

Are you planning to charge workshop presenters or have you allowed for free passes for workshop presenters? In 2013 we received some complaints for charging presenters
______
Steven

On 12 Jun 2014, at 09:51, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <FOSS4G_2015_Seoul_Budget_Contingency_0611.ods>

Re: Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

Sanghee Shin
Dear Steven,

You can install LibreOffice in your Mac just like me. :)

Regarding big sponsorship, we’re under discussion with 2 major government bodies.

The first one is NIPA(National IT Industry Promotion Agency). We got a very positive response from the agency and will meet within 1~2 weeks for the specific conditions.

The second one is MOLIT(Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport). Although we got initial positive response from the person in charge in MOLIT, it would take very long time to get an official sponsorship from MOLIT, since it is ministry level and there should be lots of lots of bureaucratic paper works and others and others. Ah... It’s not an easy job. Anyway we contracted the Venue without deposit money with help from MOLIT. This is a good sign for us.

Regular meeting of KAOS-G, another institutional LOC member, was held yesterday and talked about the preparation of FOSS4G 2015 as well. Some company will sponsor the FOSS4G 2015, those may not be the big sponsors though.

We don’t have any plan to charge workshop presenters. I think we should appreciate their efforts. However the maximum free pass to workshop presenters will be 8.

We also expect we can attract more than 300 delegates definitely. However just like conference committee members pointed, we need contingency plan as Plan B or Plan C.

By the way, will FOSS4 2014 Portland team give us presentation slot for introducing FOSS4G 2015 Seoul to delegates?

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 6. 12., 오전 10:04, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> 작성:

> OK, it opened in Google docs :) Won’t open on my Mac which thinks it is a zip file :(
>
> Unless you have some big (diamond or platinum) sponsors already committed you may have a problem reaching $140k of sponsorship for an event with 3-400 people.
>
> On the plus side I am sure that you will get more than 300 delegates for an international FOSS4G
>
> Are you planning to charge workshop presenters or have you allowed for free passes for workshop presenters? In 2013 we received some complaints for charging presenters
> ______
> Steven
>

> On 12 Jun 2014, at 09:51, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> <FOSS4G_2015_Seoul_Budget_Contingency_0611.ods>

Re: Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

Fenoy Gerald
Dear Sanghee,
I think and guess that everybody have the same feeling: we all have the responsibility to promote the FOSS4G in Seoul for 2015 during the next upcoming events (for what come directly to my mind: foss4g-e and foss4g).
All OSGeo members are supporting you and I am sure you will make a great event.

Each year there is some words about the next FOSS4G iteration and I hope it will be the same this year, so you will have the slot your asked. I wish it can be made in *a popular session* to make most of attendees aware about the next location .
I am strongly encouraging the fact that you should have a time slot (which may be shared with another presentation) to promote the FOSS4G 2015.

Good luck in searching sponsors and I look forward to go In Seoul next year.

Best regards,

Le 12 juin 2014 à 12:23, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> By the way, will FOSS4 2014 Portland team give us presentation slot for introducing FOSS4G 2015 Seoul to delegates?

Gérald Fenoy

Re: Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

Sanghee Shin
Wow, great news!

Thanks Portland team.

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 6. 12., 오후 2:51, David Percy <[hidden email]> 작성:

> I'm sure we can give you some time during one of the keynote sessions
> at FOSS4G-2014...
> Percy
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Fenoy Gerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Sanghee,
>> I think and guess that everybody have the same feeling: we all have the responsibility to promote the FOSS4G in Seoul for 2015 during the next upcoming events (for what come directly to my mind: foss4g-e and foss4g).
>> All OSGeo members are supporting you and I am sure you will make a great event.
>>
>> Each year there is some words about the next FOSS4G iteration and I hope it will be the same this year, so you will have the slot your asked. I wish it can be made in *a popular session* to make most of attendees aware about the next location      .
>> I am strongly encouraging the fact that you should have a time slot (which may be shared with another presentation) to promote the FOSS4G 2015.
>>
>> Good luck in searching sponsors and I look forward to go In Seoul next year.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Le 12 juin 2014 à 12:23, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> By the way, will FOSS4 2014 Portland team give us presentation slot for introducing FOSS4G 2015 Seoul to delegates?
>>

>> Gérald Fenoy

> David Percy ("Percy")
> -Geospatial Data Manager
> -Web Map Wrangler
> -GIS Instructor
> Portland State University
> -gisgeek.pdx.edu
> -geology.pdx.edu
> -portlandpulse.org

Re: Revised budget estimation of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul

David Percy
I'm sure we can give you some time during one of the keynote sessions
at FOSS4G-2014...
Percy

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Fenoy Gerald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sanghee,
> I think and guess that everybody have the same feeling: we all have the responsibility to promote the FOSS4G in Seoul for 2015 during the next upcoming events (for what come directly to my mind: foss4g-e and foss4g).
> All OSGeo members are supporting you and I am sure you will make a great event.
>
> Each year there is some words about the next FOSS4G iteration and I hope it will be the same this year, so you will have the slot your asked. I wish it can be made in *a popular session* to make most of attendees aware about the next location      .
> I am strongly encouraging the fact that you should have a time slot (which may be shared with another presentation) to promote the FOSS4G 2015.
>
> Good luck in searching sponsors and I look forward to go In Seoul next year.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Le 12 juin 2014 à 12:23, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> By the way, will FOSS4 2014 Portland team give us presentation slot for introducing FOSS4G 2015 Seoul to delegates?
>

> Gérald Fenoy

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler