testing importing GeoNode metadata into QGIS

testing importing GeoNode metadata into QGIS

Thomas Gertin-2

Could someone help with this issue?

I am testing downloading a shapefile from GeoNode and the metadata then opening the dataset in QGIS.

This is the layer I am testing:http://geonode.state.gov/layers/geonode%3ASyria_RefugeeSites_2016Jan21_HIU_DoS0

  • I downloaded the data as a shapefile.

  • I then downloaded the metadata and saved it as an xml file with the same basename as the shapefile.

here is the directory with all of my files:

pic-of-dir

I then opened this shapefile in QGIS 2.14.3, with no plug-ins. I do not see the metadata I am hoping to see. If I right-click on the layer and go to properties it opens the layer properties window. Then if I click on the Metadata tab, the properties only show General properties. All of the field in the Description section are blank. Is there a way to populate these fields? Are the metadata fields supposed to automatically show up? Or is there a way you need to import the xls manually by selecting the xls file?

Thanks,

Tom G

Re: testing importing GeoNode metadata into QGIS

Jeffrey Johnson
Im not sure if it will work or not, but you might just try .shp.xml

@tomkralidis do you have any insight here?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Thomas Gertin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Tom
> Could someone help with this issue?

> I am testing downloading a shapefile from GeoNode and the metadata then
opening the dataset in QGIS.

> This is the layer I am testing:
http://geonode.state.gov/layers/geonode%3ASyria_RefugeeSites_2016Jan21_HIU_DoS0

>   - I downloaded the data as a shapefile.
>   - I then downloaded the metadata and saved it as an xml file with the same basename as the shapefile.

> here is the directory with all of my files:

> [image: pic-of-dir]
> <https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/2665840/16394012/2cd1102e-3c81-11e6-8cb8-2f1f91fccfcc.PNG>

> I then opened this shapefile in QGIS 2.14.3, with no plug-ins. I do not see
> the metadata I am hoping to see. If I right-click on the layer and go to
> properties it opens the layer properties window. Then if I click on the
> Metadata tab, the properties only show General properties. All of the field
> in the Description section are blank. Is there a way to populate these
> fields? Are the metadata fields supposed to automatically show up? Or is there a way you need to import the xls manually by selecting the xls file?

This is not currently possible in QGIS. Good metadata support is currently absent in QGIS core. The metadata fields you see in QGIS are intended mainly for publishing layer metadata via QGIS Server, but there is no logic in place to ingest and populate these fields when adding a new dataset with an accompanying ISO metadata file.
We (Kartoza) have some plans to work on this (with support from WB/GFDRR) in the near future, but these are still in the formative stages and not confirmed / fleshed out yet.
Regards

Tim

> Thanks,

>Tom G