support page location

Eli Adam
Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is

geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
Overview--> then clicking on either link:
http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html

That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.

1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
a lot in navigation bars).
3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
"wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
"Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
"home".

So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
input or want to work together?

Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

James Klassen

On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>
> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
Oh yeah... website organization, we were working on that once upon a
time.  My opinion is it should be linked from the www.geomoose.org site
(which is about project level details) rather than the docs pages (which
are about specific versions of the software).

> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>
> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
From www.geomoose.org:

  Type support into the Quick Search?
   -- or --
  Look under GeoMoose Support at the bottom on www.geomoose.org
   -- or --
  Click on GeoMoose Support at the end of the Table of Contents
-- or --
https://www.google.com/search?q=geomoose+support
> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
> a lot in navigation bars).
> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
> "home".
I presume you are talking about docs.geomoose.org here:  I think the
whole top bar can go except maybe for adding a link back to
www.geomoose.org.  The top nav bar causes problems with the PDF version
anyway (as documents in the nav bar are not in the table of contents and
so do not get included in the PDF unless they are also included elsewhere.)

> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
> input or want to work together?
>

> Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

James Klassen
Also, as long as we are on the topic of docs, I put these up on the
github wiki as I was running through GeoMoose installs.  They should
probably be reviewed and then moved into the 2.7 docs.

https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Debian-Wheezy,-Ubuntu-12.04-and-similar

https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Fedora-21

On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:

> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>
> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
>
> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>
> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
> a lot in navigation bars).
> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
> "home".
>
> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
> input or want to work together?
>

> Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

Eli Adam
Wow, those are great Jim!  Thanks.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, as long as we are on the topic of docs, I put these up on the
> github wiki as I was running through GeoMoose installs.  They should
> probably be reviewed and then moved into the 2.7 docs.
>
> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Debian-Wheezy,-Ubuntu-12.04-and-similar
>
> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Fedora-21

Our current stuff, is perhaps a little dated in that age of modern GIS
repos.  http://docs.geomoose.org/2.7/docs/install_unix.html

We might want to also show use of our released tarballs.

Eli

> On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>>
>> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
>> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
>>
>> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>>
>> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
>> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
>> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
>> a lot in navigation bars).
>> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
>> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
>> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
>> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
>> "home".
>>
>> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
>> input or want to work together?
>>

>> Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

James Klassen

On 03/11/2015 11:44 AM, Eli Adam wrote:

> Wow, those are great Jim!  Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also, as long as we are on the topic of docs, I put these up on the
>> github wiki as I was running through GeoMoose installs.  They should
>> probably be reviewed and then moved into the 2.7 docs.
>>
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Debian-Wheezy,-Ubuntu-12.04-and-similar
>>
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Fedora-21
> Our current stuff, is perhaps a little dated in that age of modern GIS
> repos.  http://docs.geomoose.org/2.7/docs/install_unix.html
>
> We might want to also show use of our released tarballs.
It is basically the same as the "from git" version but you can skip most
of the steps.
 * Don't need install GeoMoose Build Deps (unless you want to change the
code later, and if you do you would be better served starting from git
and using a local branch)
 * Get the GeoMoose Source becomes download/extract the tarball
 * Skip Setup Symbolic Links
 * Skip Build JavaScript Code
 * Skip Build the Docs
 * Setup local config files may need paths changed to match where the
tarball was extracted.
 * Skip Build the API Reference Docs
 * Make things available in apache document root may need paths changed
to match where the tarball was extracted.

Personally, I find it's much nicer to clone from git, make a local
branch for local data or code changes, then pull updates into master and
merge them into the local branch than try to figure out how to move
customizations forward between tarball releases.  (Actually, I tend to
just clone geomoose-js and maybe geomoose-services in production
installs.  Merging the demo (geomoose/geomoose) with local data is
rarely useful to me.)

> Eli
>

>> On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>>>
>>> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
>>> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
>>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
>>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
>>>
>>> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>>>
>>> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
>>> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
>>> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
>>> a lot in navigation bars).
>>> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
>>> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
>>> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
>>> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
>>> "home".
>>>
>>> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
>>> input or want to work together?
>>>

>>> Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

blammo
Thoughts on top bar:

** HOME - Leave as is
** DEMO - Leave as is
** DOCUMENTATION - Change to SUPPORT
        Consolidate the User and Commmunity help pages within DOC's page. Move support related materials up under SUPPORT.
** DEVELOPERS - Leave as is.
** DOWNLOAD - Leave as is.

BTW, we should add in the Top bar links to the GeoMOOSE demo too, in the Top Bar of GeoMOOSE itself, for distribution?  Probably would require versioning the HELP though.

bobb

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/11/2015 11:16 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> Right now to get to the support pages, the path I need to take is
>>
>> geomoose.org-->Documentation-->2.7-->Getting Started-->Feature
>> Overview--> then clicking on either link:
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/commercial_support.html
>> http://www.geomoose.org/info/mailing_lists.html
> Oh yeah... website organization, we were working on that once upon a
> time.  My opinion is it should be linked from the www.geomoose.org site
> (which is about project level details) rather than the docs pages (which
> are about specific versions of the software).

Good point.

>> That seems like excessively low prominence and difficult to access.
>>
>> 1. Is there an obvious and easier route that I'm missing?
> From www.geomoose.org:
>
>   Type support into the Quick Search?
>    -- or --
>   Look under GeoMoose Support at the bottom on www.geomoose.org
>    -- or --
>   Click on GeoMoose Support at the end of the Table of Contents
> -- or --
> https://www.google.com/search?q=geomoose+support

Oh, good, it is already there (if looking in the correct place).  So
then my proposed actions to 'reorganization' is mostly deleting from
the improper place.  In the last PSC meeting, it sounded that Jim and
I agree that we had too much good documentation and things would be
better is half of it was deleted.  This can be a small start at that.

>> 2. In the past, Bob (I think) has suggested putting it in the top bar.
>> I generally think that is a good idea (but also generally I don't like
>> a lot in navigation bars).
>> 3. Hmm, our top bar is out of date (points to trac). We should remove
>> "wiki" link even if it still exists with minimal use, I think that
>> "Demo" and "Download" should be removed too since they are on main
>> site, "Documentation" can be removed too since that is the same as
>> "home".
> I presume you are talking about docs.geomoose.org here:  I think the
> whole top bar can go except maybe for adding a link back to
> www.geomoose.org.  The top nav bar causes problems with the PDF version
> anyway (as documents in the nav bar are not in the table of contents and
> so do not get included in the PDF unless they are also included elsewhere.)

Yes, docs.geomoose.org.  I would like to keep a top bar to the
(correct) ticketing system.  How about the GeoMoose logo goes to
geomoose.org and 'home' goes to the home of the docs page you're one?
Currently the 'documentation' top bar is broken, I've been meaning to
log in to the server and look at Apache configs to see why it works
for 2.6 and master but not 2.7.  Then perhaps update,
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose-website/blob/master/source/developer/release.rst
(if that top bar is going to stick around).

We also have some overlap here,
http://geomoose.org/developer/index.html and here,
http://docs.geomoose.org/master/developer/index.html.  Seems project
specific not software specific.

>> So my plan is to drastically reconfigure things.  Does anyone have
>> input or want to work together?

Now that Jim pointed out that I missed the obvious information in the
correct location and was failing to maintain the separation between
the website (which is about project level details) and the docs pages
(which are about specific versions of the software), my plan is to
continue the website/docs reorganization.  I plan to delete the
duplicate project specific details in the docs pages, specifically the
support details.  I'll also winnow down the top bar.

Does anyone have input or want to work together on the revised plan?

Eli

>> Thanks, Eli

Re: support page location

Eli Adam
Thanks Bob for bringing us back to the subject topic of the email.  I
started us off in the wrong direction since I was looking on the
docs.geomoose.org pages.  My plan on that is to clean it up.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thoughts on top bar:

Yes, thoughts on top bar (of geomoose.org, not docs.geomoose.org)

> ** HOME - Leave as is
> ** DEMO - Leave as is
> ** DOCUMENTATION - Change to SUPPORT
>         Consolidate the User and Commmunity help pages within DOC's page. Move support related materials up under SUPPORT.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by User and Community help
pages.  I think DOCUMENTATION is a critically important top bar tab.
I'd be fine adding a SUPPORT top bar tab, although as Jim pointed out,
I missed several more obvious locations.  To increase visibility of
that more important stuff down page, reducing the 'news' might be a
good idea.  Also, generally I'm opposed to too many top bar tabs so I
have a slight hesitation.

> ** DEVELOPERS - Leave as is.
> ** DOWNLOAD - Leave as is.
>
> BTW, we should add in the Top bar links to the GeoMOOSE demo too, in the Top Bar of GeoMOOSE itself, for distribution?  Probably would require versioning the HELP though.

I'm not sure I understand this.

Eli

> bobb

Re: support page location

blammo

Thanks Bob for bringing us back to the subject topic of the email.  I started us off in the wrong direction since I was looking on the docs.geomoose.org pages.  My plan on that is to clean it up.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thoughts on top bar:

Yes, thoughts on top bar (of geomoose.org, not docs.geomoose.org)

> ** HOME - Leave as is
> ** DEMO - Leave as is
> ** DOCUMENTATION - Change to SUPPORT
>         Consolidate the User and Commmunity help pages within DOC's page. Move support related materials up under SUPPORT.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by User and Community help pages.  I think DOCUMENTATION is a critically important top bar tab.
I'd be fine adding a SUPPORT top bar tab, although as Jim pointed out, I missed several more obvious locations.  To increase visibility of that more important stuff down page, reducing the 'news' might be a good idea.  Also, generally I'm opposed to too many top bar tabs so I have a slight hesitation.
[]

I was trying to minimize the requirement for new buttons, but if you think Docs needs it's own button (which only switches to doc.geomoose.org??) then that's fine by me.  I was  thinking that doc could contain the link to doc.sharedgeo, along with other peripheral items like user tips, etc. but with things at the top level.

> ** DEVELOPERS - Leave as is.
> ** DOWNLOAD - Leave as is.
>
> BTW, we should add in the Top bar links to the GeoMOOSE demo too, in the Top Bar of GeoMOOSE itself, for distribution?  Probably would require versioning the HELP though.

I'm not sure I understand this.
[]
Right inside of the GeoMoose application as distributed.  Same top bar links as in the GeoMOOSE.org site.  So when the demo is set up , it has links back to the GeoMOOSE site from the app.

Bobb

Eli