student attendees in Paris

Till Adams-3
Dear Gerald,

in order to get a better insight into students interest in our FOSS4G
conferences, I'd like to ask you, whether you know how many of your
attendees have been students?

You know, that there are big discussions about how to open FOSS4G
conferences for students, but before we have deeper discussions on
changing a really succesful format (see > 1000 attendees for Boston) I'd
like to get a better picture on the general interest of students,
especially on the events, that are already low budget.

Many thanks!

Till

Re: student attendees in Paris

Fenoy Gerald
Dear Till,
thanks for your request.

During this year FOSS4G-Europe we were very surprised to have only 25 attendees (on 330) that has benefited of the student discount.

This number is very low from my point of view and was a bit disappointing. Indeed, I think that in Bremen and Como the number of student was very high.

From what we have discussed internally, one cause may be that the student were in holidays, they have finished their exam just a few weeks ago so they may have other interests at that time (such as organizing for the next year, searching for a new appartement and so on).

Despite we were not able to attract enough students and whatever is the reason for them to not come, I still think it is one key target of the FOSS4G-Europe as they are the next generation.

So, in that sense, this year, we have failed as we were not able to attract more students.

I hope my answer is clear.

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> Le 27 juil. 2017 à 09:12, Till Adams <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear Gerald,
>
> in order to get a better insight into students interest in our FOSS4G
> conferences, I'd like to ask you, whether you know how many of your
> attendees have been students?
>
> You know, that there are big discussions about how to open FOSS4G
> conferences for students, but before we have deeper discussions on
> changing a really succesful format (see > 1000 attendees for Boston) I'd
> like to get a better picture on the general interest of students,
> especially on the events, that are already low budget.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Till

Re: student attendees in Paris

Michael Terner
Very quickly...

I don't have a specific student count yet, but I can report that we had >200 people self-identify as either:
  • Interested in the academic track
  • Have a .edu on their email
  • Or, have a college/university on their organization
  • I.e., some significant portion of that 200 are students
Our primary accommodation for students was our "volunteer program" where we provided a full pass for $50, and request that the volunteers do 12 hours of work during the conference (ranging from guiding people, running the AV, setting up/supporting various events). The $50 was mainly to ensure that the volunteers had some "skin in the game" to discourage them from not showing up, as we are relying on our volunteers. We expect a large portion of our ~60 volunteers to be students. We also believe that in choosing an education hub like Boston, we position ourselves to have good student representation from the region.

We will compile our specific numbers once the conference is over.

MT

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 5:04 AM, Fenoy Gerald <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Till,
thanks for your request.

During this year FOSS4G-Europe we were very surprised to have only 25 attendees (on 330) that has benefited of the student discount.

This number is very low from my point of view and was a bit disappointing. Indeed, I think that in Bremen and Como the number of student was very high.

From what we have discussed internally, one cause may be that the student were in holidays, they have finished their exam just a few weeks ago so they may have other interests at that time (such as organizing for the next year, searching for a new appartement and so on).

Despite we were not able to attract enough students and whatever is the reason for them to not come, I still think it is one key target of the FOSS4G-Europe as they are the next generation.

So, in that sense, this year, we have failed as we were not able to attract more students.

I hope my answer is clear.

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> Le 27 juil. 2017 à 09:12, Till Adams <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear Gerald,
>
> in order to get a better insight into students interest in our FOSS4G
> conferences, I'd like to ask you, whether you know how many of your
> attendees have been students?
>
> You know, that there are big discussions about how to open FOSS4G
> conferences for students, but before we have deeper discussions on
> changing a really succesful format (see > 1000 attendees for Boston) I'd
> like to get a better picture on the general interest of students,
> especially on the events, that are already low budget.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Till

Michael Terner
Executive Vice President
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108

www.AppGeo.com

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute, disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).

Re: student attendees in Paris

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Dear All

I don't know numbers in Bremen; in Como we had (not considering "my" students- around 15) that 1/5 of the attendees was composed by students (80 students).

"My" students didn't pay (they helped during the conference), for the others the early bird registration was 50 euros, the late 100.

Best,

Maria

Pay attention to this Special Issue and see if it is of interest by you:

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/Geospatial_Big_Data_Urban_Studies

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4 "Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

UN-GGIM Academic Network Deputy Chair, UN-GGIM Italy, UN OpenGIS Initiative (Chair of the Capacity Building WG)

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

During this year FOSS4G-Europe we were very surprised to have only 25 attendees (on 330) that has benefited of the student discount.

This number is very low from my point of view and was a bit disappointing. Indeed, I think that in Bremen and Como the number of student was very high.

From what we have discussed internally, one cause may be that the student were in holidays, they have finished their exam just a few weeks ago so they may have other interests at that time (such as organizing for the next year, searching for a new appartement and so on).

Despite we were not able to attract enough students and whatever is the reason for them to not come, I still think it is one key target of the FOSS4G-Europe as they are the next generation.

So, in that sense, this year, we have failed as we were not able to attract more students.

I hope my answer is clear.

Gérald Fenoy
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay

> Le 27 juil. 2017 à 09:12, Till Adams <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear Gerald,
>
> in order to get a better insight into students interest in our FOSS4G
> conferences, I'd like to ask you, whether you know how many of your
> attendees have been students?
>
> You know, that there are big discussions about how to open FOSS4G
> conferences for students, but before we have deeper discussions on
> changing a really succesful format (see > 1000 attendees for Boston) I'd
> like to get a better picture on the general interest of students,
> especially on the events, that are already low budget.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Till

FOSS4G-Europe 2017 and nomination of Gerald Fenoy to CC

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Dear All,

Just back from a very lively and fruitful
FOSS4G-Europe 2017.

My heartfelt thanks to the organizers and
sincere appreciation to Gerald Fenoy and
his team for all the hardwork in organizing
a great event.

I take this opportunity to nominate Gerald as
a new member to the Conference Committee.
The experience that he can share through
the successful organization of FOSS4G-Europe
2017 will be invaluable in our future FOSS4G
events.

Best

Venka

Re: FOSS4G-Europe 2017 and nomination of Gerald Fenoy to CC

Fenoy Gerald
Dear all,
I would like to be part of the Conference Committee and was thinking that it was automatic for every previous FOSS4G chairs.

I hope to hear back from you.

Best regards,