some questions

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

hi, my name is stefano and I am coordinating the Italian translation of QGIS GUI.
now the strings are all translated and in addition to the revision, I'm translating new strings that are added.

I have three questions to ask you:

1) Does the English version of strings in transifex refer to 2.18 or master?

2) how often the translation file has taken from transifex and brought into the qgis distribution?

3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the knowledge of context.

thank you for your attention

stefano

Re: some questions

Jürgen E. Fischer
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Stefano,

On Sat, 30. Sep 2017 at 15:50:22 +0200, Stefano Campus wrote:
> 1) Does the English version of strings in transifex refer to 2.18 or master?

master

> 2) how often the translation file has taken from transifex and brought into
> the qgis distribution?

Once on every release.

> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex
> is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the
> knowledge of context.

The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can also download
the .ts file for use or translation.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: some questions

macho
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Stefano!

Sorry for the late answer, I am currently moving so not in front of the
internet every day.

regarding your questions:

1. the english version in transifex always refers to current master. So
the best way of translating is to keep up with master - and once
branching for a release takes place there will be only some minor
corrections to do.

2. translation is usually taken right in front of a release

3. of course you can always copy the ts file to the correct place in the
release but you will never see a "live" translation because with every
change in the ts file you have to restart QGIS to reread the translations.

If I can help you in any way just drop me a note.

thanks and kind regards
Werner

On 30/09/17 15:50, Stefano Campus wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>

> hi, my name is stefano and I am coordinating the Italian translation of
> QGIS GUI.
> now the strings are all translated and in addition to the revision, I'm
> translating new strings that are added.
>
> I have three questions to ask you:
>
> 1) Does the English version of strings in transifex refer to 2.18 or master?
>
> 2) how often the translation file has taken from transifex and brought
> into the qgis distribution?
>
> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation?
> transifex is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate
> withow the knowledge of context.
>
> thank you for your attention
>
> stefano

Re: some questions

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 01-10-17 00:33, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
>> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex
>> is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the
>> knowledge of context.
> The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can also download
> the .ts file for use or translation.

If I am correct, you should be able to:

- download the .ts file from Transifex.com
- use Qt-Linguist to do further translations
- use command line OR Qt-Linguist to 'compile/release' your .ts file to
a .qm file
- if you put THAT .qm file on the right place in your QGIS installation,
QGIS will show you your fresh translations

- do not forget to copy your translations back to transifex, uploading
is also an option, but you will override any translations done while you
downloaded your sources.

HTH

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: some questions

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

thank you all for replies.

my organization will adopt the 2.18 version as soon as it becomes LTR and will hold it for at least a year.
Do you think it is correct to use the current version of transifex file.ts, transform it into the corresponding .qm version, through qt linguist, and use it as the italian version of version 2.18 LTR?
I know there are so many more strings than master version but I think that strings that are not present in 2.18 are not a problem.
Am I right?

thank you again

stefano

On 01-10-17 00:33, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
>> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex
>> is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the
>> knowledge of context.
> The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can also download
> the .ts file for use or translation.

If I am correct, you should be able to:

- download the .ts file from Transifex.com
- use Qt-Linguist to do further translations
- use command line OR Qt-Linguist to 'compile/release' your .ts file to
a .qm file
- if you put THAT .qm file on the right place in your QGIS installation,
QGIS will show you your fresh translations

- do not forget to copy your translations back to transifex, uploading
is also an option, but you will override any translations done while you
downloaded your sources.

HTH

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: some questions

Richard Duivenvoorde
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Yep, you can even try if the translations of 2.16:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/release-2_16/i18n
are not better suited for 2.18
compared to
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/release-2_18/i18n
or
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/i18n

Just try and see :-)

IF you are going to do further translations in the 2.18 branch, do
NOT(!) update those back to transifex then (as I said in my earlier
email...). If you want to translate 2.18 and keep/share those
translations, sent them Werner Macho (or via me) and we will put them in
github in the 2.18 branch (as you can see german and spanish
translations are also updated recently)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

> thank you all for replies.
>
> my organization will adopt the 2.18 version as soon as it becomes LTR
> and will hold it for at least a year.
> Do you think it is correct to use the current version of transifex
> file.ts, transform it into the corresponding .qm version, through qt
> linguist, and use it as the italian version of version 2.18 LTR?
> I know there are so many more strings than master version but I think
> that strings that are not present in 2.18 are not a problem.
> Am I right?
>
> thank you again
>
> stefano

>> download from
>> transifex
>> withow the
>>> The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can
>> also download
>>> the .ts file for use or translation.
>>
>> If I am correct, you should be able to:
>>
>> - download the .ts file from Transifex.com
>> - use Qt-Linguist to do further translations
>> - use command line OR Qt-Linguist to 'compile/release' your .ts file
>> a .qm file
>> - if you put THAT .qm file on the right place in your QGIS
>> installation,
>> QGIS will show you your fresh translations
>>
>> - do not forget to copy your translations back to transifex,
>> uploading
>> is also an option, but you will override any translations done while
>> you
>> downloaded your sources.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: some questions

DelazJ
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

thank you all for replies.

my organization will adopt the 2.18 version as soon as it becomes LTR and will hold it for at least a year.

Stefano, QGIS 2.18 is already LTR (since may) so no need to wait!

Regards,
Harrissou

Do you think it is correct to use the current version of transifex file.ts, transform it into the corresponding .qm version, through qt linguist, and use it as the italian version of version 2.18 LTR?
I know there are so many more strings than master version but I think that strings that are not present in 2.18 are not a problem.
Am I right?

thank you again

stefano

On 01-10-17 00:33, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
>> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex
>> is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the
>> knowledge of context.
> The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can also download
> the .ts file for use or translation.

If I am correct, you should be able to:

- download the .ts file from Transifex.com
- use Qt-Linguist to do further translations
- use command line OR Qt-Linguist to 'compile/release' your .ts file to
a .qm file
- if you put THAT .qm file on the right place in your QGIS installation,
QGIS will show you your fresh translations

- do not forget to copy your translations back to transifex, uploading
is also an option, but you will override any translations done while you
downloaded your sources.

HTH

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: some questions

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

thank you for you explanations

@Harrissou
Download page (http://www.qgis.org/it/site/forusers/download.html) and OSGEO4W64 at the moment indicate 2.14 as LTR

If I open the .ts coming from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/release-2_18/i18n, I find in qt linguistic only the tranlsated strings, where current italian version of 2.18 has many strings still in english.
in transifex I can download a complete version of strings in which there both the translated strings in italian and the unstranslated ones in english, but the version in github contains only italian strings.
so how can I translate strings in .ts from github where there are not any strings to be translated?

sorry for the disturb...

s.

thank you all for replies.

my organization will adopt the 2.18 version as soon as it becomes LTR and will hold it for at least a year.
Do you think it is correct to use the current version of transifex file.ts, transform it into the corresponding .qm version, through qt linguist, and use it as the italian version of version 2.18 LTR?
I know there are so many more strings than master version but I think that strings that are not present in 2.18 are not a problem.
Am I right?

thank you again

stefano

On 01-10-17 00:33, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> 3) Is there any chance of using the .ts file that you can download from
>> transifex in qgis and see "live" the results of our translation? transifex
>> is very powerful but sometimes is very difficult to translate withow the
>> knowledge of context.
> The nightlies of master pull them in on every build.  But you can also download
> the .ts file for use or translation.

If I am correct, you should be able to:

- download the .ts file from Transifex.com
- use Qt-Linguist to do further translations
- use command line OR Qt-Linguist to 'compile/release' your .ts file to
a .qm file
- if you put THAT .qm file on the right place in your QGIS installation,
QGIS will show you your fresh translations

- do not forget to copy your translations back to transifex, uploading
is also an option, but you will override any translations done while you
downloaded your sources.

HTH

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: some questions

DelazJ
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

thank you for you explanations

@Harrissou
Download page (http://www.qgis.org/it/site/forusers/download.html) and OSGEO4W64 at the moment indicate 2.14 as LTR

Yes!!! Communication issue being currently worked.

H.

On 04-10-17 16:32, Stefano Campus wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>

> thank you for you explanations
>
> @Harrissou
> Download page (http://www.qgis.org/it/site/forusers/download.html) and
> OSGEO4W64 at the moment indicate 2.14 as LTR
>
> If I open the .ts coming from
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/release-2_18/i18n, I find in qt
> linguistic only the tranlsated strings, where current italian version of
> 2.18 has many strings still in english.
> in transifex I can download a complete version of strings in which there
> both the translated strings in italian and the unstranslated ones in
> english, but the version in github contains only italian strings.
> so how can I translate strings in .ts from github where there are not
> any strings to be translated?

Hi Stefano,

if I download:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qgis/QGIS/release-2_18/i18n/qgis_it.ts

And open in a editor I see both source and translations:

    <message>
        <location
filename="../python/plugins/processing/python-i18n.cpp" line="10"/>
        <source>OTB execution console output</source>
        <translation>Risultato della console di esecuzione di
OTB</translation>
    </message>

If you release/load that one, and still see non-translated strings, you
can look them up in Linguist, translate/release/load again.

Or am I missing your point?

Regards,

Richard

Re: some questions

skampus
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

ok you're right...

twice I have downloaded a corrupted file.

sorry for the noise...

I'm going to finish the italian tranlslation of 2.18.13 LTR :-)

thank you again.

s.

ps: what about those strange characters I noted and descripted in other post?