some problem in strating with GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1

some problem in strating with GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1

Colatalavica
I have to say that I am very new to Grass GIS world. Anyhow, I have
Downloaded the latest stable GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1 packaged for OSGeo4W with
Free GIS software packages and libraries such as: Quantum GIS, GDAL tools,
MapServer, OpenEV, uDig.

Now, following the instraction of Quick wxGUI tutorial, I try to run GRASS
GIS, I have also installed in the directory C:\Users\USER\Documents\GIS
DataBase, the North Carolina and Spearfish60 folders,

I click on the GRASS GIS icon on the desktop, from the "Welcome to GRASS"
window ( I have to say that in the same time a GRASS GIS command prompt
come out with the following writting:

-path=C:/OSGeo4W/apps/Python27/Scripts

OSGeo4W home is C:/OSGeo4W

Failed to set LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8)

And I select from GIS data directory the folder GIS DataBase, from the
Project location, I select the North Carolina sample datasets, and "user1"
for the mapset, then click on "Start Grass". On my Windows desktop apper,
two new GUI:

GRASS GIS map display and GRASS GIS layer manager, but no map is dispalyed
on the GRASS GIS map display and on GRASS GIS layer manager no list of
files (Wxgrass-gis-manager-layer.png) is shown indicating geographic
features : elevation, streams and roads etc. etc.

I do not know what I did wrong, may somebody help me?
Best wishes

Angelo Paone

--
Angelo Paone
Research Professor

Re: some problem in strating with GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Angelo Paone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have to say that I am very new to Grass GIS world.

Welcome here!

> Anyhow, I have
> Downloaded the latest stable GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC1 packaged for OSGeo4W with
> Free GIS software packages and libraries such as: Quantum GIS, GDAL tools,
> MapServer, OpenEV, uDig.

Fine - just a note: RC1 is release candidate, so the final 6.4.3 is still to be
published.

> Now, following the instraction of Quick wxGUI tutorial, I try to run GRASS
> GIS, I have also installed in the directory C:\Users\USER\Documents\GIS
> DataBase, the North Carolina and Spearfish60 folders,
>
> I click on the GRASS GIS icon on the desktop, from the "Welcome to GRASS"
> window ( I have to say that in the same time a GRASS GIS command prompt
> come out with the following writting:
>

> -path=C:/OSGeo4W/apps/Python27/Scripts
>
> OSGeo4W home is C:/OSGeo4W
>
> Failed to set LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8)

It seems that it wants to reach the english_US locale which is
absent on your computer. In which language is it running?
However, maybe not a problem.

> And I select from GIS data directory the folder GIS DataBase, from the
> Project location, I select the North Carolina sample datasets, and "user1"
> for the mapset, then click on "Start Grass". On my Windows desktop apper,
> two new GUI:
>
> GRASS GIS map display and GRASS GIS layer manager, but no map is dispalyed
> on the GRASS GIS map display and on GRASS GIS layer manager no list of
> files (Wxgrass-gis-manager-layer.png) is shown indicating geographic
> features : elevation, streams and roads etc. etc.

So, you loaded some maps into the layer manager?
Are the checkbox set?

Perhaps the
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Computational_region

is not set properly. Use right mouse -> Zoom to map, maybe that
solved it?

Markus