showing own POI`s from a SQL Database?

BabyPowder
Hi folks,

I want to register my friends location on my SQL-Server with their LonLat, Name and Pic(icon)....I will give each person a user/pwd so his device has writepermission in his own SQL field......after that I want to make a Selection on the Database with the last Position of my Friends and want to show them up as POI`s on my map.......

I only find the way with the external TEXTfile.....so this would mean, that I have to write another script to make the DataBase-Connection....after that making the SQL-Selection and write the result from the Database in this Textfile....is there a nicer and more efficient way to handle with dynamic POI`s?!?!?

Thanx

Re: showing own POI`s from a SQL Database?

BMcBride
There are several ways to accomplish this. You could use GeoServer to transform your database into OL friendly formats (WMS, WFS, KML, etc).  You could also write a PHP script to echo your database info into an OL friendly vector format (KML, JSON, XML, etc.).

Re: showing own POI`s from a SQL Database?

MichaelM
most folks I talk to strongl believe that using a PHP script on the
server side is the way to go.
a little google will do ya!

If that does not work, I can clean up mine and share it.