sharing GRASS mapsets

Laura POggio
Dear all,
we need to share a GRASS location and its mapsets across multiple users.
We would like to have a structure similar to this:
LOCATION:
 PERMANENT
 ENVIROMENTAL_COVARIATES
 working_mapset_for_each_user

It is clear in the documentation that a user can only write in a mapset that it owns.
However we would need to have multiple users to be able to add/delete/modify files to the ENVIROMENTAL_COVARIATES mapset. Is this possible at all? any workaround that can be implemented?

Thanks in advance

Laura

SBL

Re: sharing GRASS mapsets

SBL

Hi Laura,

There are several options.

One option would be to subdivide “ENVIROMENTAL_COVARIATES” into e.g. topics.

In my organisation (also environmental research) we organized mapsets with prefixes (g_ for mapsets of general interest, gt_ for time series, p_ for projects, u_ for users). Different users can take care of different topics (but everybody has to clean up his/her own mess).

These mapsets can then easily added to the users search_path with g.mapsets (https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/g.mapsets.html)…

An advantage of splitting up ENVIROMENTAL_COVARIATES into smaller mapsets is that it is easier to move chunks of data (e.g. from central storage to compute units (laptop/server))…

If your users are allowed to change file ownership, they could in principle take over “ENVIROMENTAL_COVARIATES”. However, an important point of the ownership check implemented in GRASS is to make sure that users do not shoot each others in the foot…

That check can be overwritten with the GRASS_SKIP_MAPSET_OWNER_CHECK environment variable (see: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/variables.html)

See also the related issue: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1829

For both of the latter options there is a significant risk in a multi-user environment…

Hope that helps a bit…

Cheers

Stefan

Re: sharing GRASS mapsets

Laura POggio
Hi Stefan,
that helps a lot actually. The suggestion to subdivide the mapset is a good one. But we also need a way to have more than one person (not all users) able to manage everything. So probably  the GRASS_SKIP_MAPSET_OWNER_CHECK is a good option if used carefully.

Thanks a lot

Laura