shapefile of Europe

Stephen Sacks
I would be grateful if someone would tell me where I can get a shapefile
for the countries of eastern and western Europe.  I want just polygons of
country borders.  A few major cities would be nice, but I do NOT need
streets.  I'll want to be able to color each country according to my own
list of attributes.  I did find an ESRI  .lpk file, which I unzipped
using 7zip, but it does not seem to contain any shapefiles (two .gdb
folders containing dozens of files with extensions I don't know).
Geofabrik has individual European countries, including streets, but
that's more detail than I want.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve

Re: shapefile of Europe

Nuno Manuel de Figueiredo de Santos Loureiro
Try here:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/gisco/geodata/reference-data/administrative-units-statistical-units/nuts#nuts13

or:
http://www.gadm.org/country

Citando Stephen Sacks <[hidden email]>:

> I would be grateful if someone would tell me where I can get a shapefile
> for the countries of eastern and western Europe.  I want just polygons of
> country borders.  A few major cities would be nice, but I do NOT need
> streets.  I'll want to be able to color each country according to my own
> list of attributes.  I did find an ESRI  .lpk file, which I unzipped
> using 7zip, but it does not seem to contain any shapefiles (two .gdb
> folders containing dozens of files with extensions I don't know).
> Geofabrik has individual European countries, including streets, but
> that's more detail than I want.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> Steve

Nuno

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Nuno de Santos Loureiro (PhD)
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia - DCTMA - Ed. 8
Universidade do Algarve
Campus de Gambelas
8005-139 FARO   (Portugal)
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Re: shapefile of Europe

b.j.kobben
And of course NaturalEarthData is always your friend here:

www.naturalearthdata.com

--
Barend Köbben
Senior Lecturer – ITC-University of Twente

On 01/02/17 17:07, "Qgis-user on behalf of Steven De Vriendt" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi Stephen,

    Maybe this will help you further
    http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/177741/looking-for-a-free-shapefile-of-the-european-countries

    All the best,

    Steven

    <[hidden email]>:

    I would be grateful if someone would tell me where I can get a shapefile

    for the countries of eastern and western Europe.  I want just polygons of
    country borders.  A few major cities would be nice, but I do NOT need
    streets.  I'll want to be able to color each country according to my own
    list of attributes.  I did find an ESRI  .lpk file, which I unzipped
    using 7zip, but it does not seem to contain any shapefiles (two .gdb
    folders containing dozens of files with extensions I don't know).
    Geofabrik has individual European countries, including streets, but
    that's more detail than I want.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

    Steve

Re: shapefile of Europe

Stephen Sacks

To several people who replied to my request for help in finding a shapefile of Europe:  Thank You !   You've given me what I need.

        Steve

Re: shapefile of Europe

Lee Hachadoorian-2
Stephen,

I know you already got the answer you need, but I think it is worth pointing out that the *.gdb folders you started out with are ESRI File Geodatabases, and that QGIS does work with those. When you open the Add Vector Layer dialog, you have to set the Source Type to Directory, and then set the Type dropdown to either OpenFileGDB or ESRI FileGDB.

This is covered extremely briefly in the official documentation:

I describe it in slightly more detail in a lab exercise I use:

Best,
--Lee

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Stephen Sacks <[hidden email]> wrote:

To several people who replied to my request for help in finding a shapefile of Europe:  Thank You !   You've given me what I need.

        Steve

Lee Hachadoorian
Assistant Professor of Instruction, Geography and Urban Studies
Assistant Director, Professional Science Master's in GIS
Temple University