schema.org implementation for google dataset search

schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Ndeville
Hello Everyone,

In order to improve the referencing of the metadata files I have on my
Geonetwork, I wish to make them visible to search engine using schema.org
json-ld format.

Thanks to this post
https://www.geocat.net/geonetwork-and-the-search-engines/ I have the idea of
the different steps to follow. Unfortunately the last step (i.e. create the
actual metadata information), is not described.
I see an xslt file on the github that should create the correct output for a
proper referencing:

https://github.com/geo4web-testbed/core-geonetwork/blob/schema_org/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/formatter/schema-org/view.xsl

However two questions are unclear to me:

- how to ensure that the information created by the xsl file is written on
the html page of each metadata record? (not easy as the html page of MD
record has no real content but only links to the information stored
somewhere else)

- how to call the xsl file? Where do I need to tell geonetwork that I want
it to use this formatter (maybe the same answer as the first question).

Any input is welcome!
Thanks,
Nicolas de Ville

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Ndeville
Hello again,

Still trying to make it works. Here is what I gathered so far.

The html page of each metadata records is the combination of several html
and xsl files. The main elements are defined in the base-layout.xsl file
(header, footer,...).
The main html page does not contain specific content but rather do an
ng-include of the index.html file. Then the index.html file include the
recordsview.html that has access to the actual content (title,
abstract,...).
In the recordsview.html the way to access the data is simply an object type
such as
title = mdView.current.record.title
abstract = mdView.current.record.abstract

So it means that this recordsview.html file has an access to the metadata
information but I don't understand how it finds the info. Is there a js
function that is used to crawl the info and that I miss somehow?

To have the simple information (title, abstract, author, ID) in the
schema.org format in the html page, I think solutions could be:

 - create a new AngularJS function that creates the json information and
call that function in the base-layout.xsl?
 - reuse the function that gets the information in the recordsview.html
file, modify it a bit so that it provides a json in the output and call that
function in the base-layout?

My knowledge of AngularJS is quite limited so if you see other (simpler) way
of doing it, I'm all ears!

Nicolas

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Francois Prunayre
Hi Nicolas,

Currently schema.org tags are added to the XSL view formatter
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/master/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl#L381
which can be used as a default landing page which is referenced in the
catalogue sitemap

See some of the PRs related to this
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pulls?q=is%3Apr+schema.org+is%3Aclosed
(and
also some others from Paul are waiting a review)

Some items to improve that would be:
a) Add schema.org to Angular template (not sure it will help as search
engine will not check this JS generated page)
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/master/web-ui/src/main/resources/catalog/views/default/templates/recordView.html
b) Add a JSON-LD formatter (proposed mapping
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/wiki/JSON-LD---ISO19139-mapping-proposal
)
c) Embed the JSON-LD formatter output in the XSL formatter
d) Build the formatter cache automatically (for all public records) to
improve access to the default landing page of all records and indexing
performances for search engines

Francois

Le mar. 26 févr. 2019 à 11:07, Ndeville <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hello Everyone,
>
> In order to improve the referencing of the metadata files I have on my
> Geonetwork, I wish to make them visible to search engine using schema.org
> json-ld format.
>
> Thanks to this post
> https://www.geocat.net/geonetwork-and-the-search-engines/ I have the idea
> of
> the different steps to follow. Unfortunately the last step (i.e. create the
> actual metadata information), is not described.
> I see an xslt file on the github that should create the correct output for
> proper referencing:
>

> https://github.com/geo4web-testbed/core-geonetwork/blob/schema_org/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/formatter/schema-org/view.xsl
>
> However two questions are unclear to me:
>
> - how to ensure that the information created by the xsl file is written on
> the html page of each metadata record? (not easy as the html page of MD
> record has no real content but only links to the information stored
> somewhere else)
>
> - how to call the xsl file? Where do I need to tell geonetwork that I want
> it to use this formatter (maybe the same answer as the first question).

Any input is welcome!

> Thanks,
> Nicolas de Ville
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Ndeville
Hello Francois,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm doing some test with the solution you provided. Here is what I get so far.

I see the schema.org tags in the html page of my metadata if I build the url such as:

http://your-server/geonetwork/srv/eng/md.format.html?uuid=some-uuid&xsl=xsl-view

Therefore I build my sitemap with this structure of url. The sitemap is validated by google webmaster tool. However:

- looks like the xsl-view of the metadata is not displayed properly by web browser, making your website looks like a website from the early nineties. Example on my dev geonetwork: http://ears.bmdc.be/geonetwork/srv/eng/md.format.html?uuid=f432b696-ac1a-4971-acc8-184bc79e9b7f&xsl=xsl-view

- Making tests on the google structure data testing tool  (https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool#), the schema.org elements are recognized but not the actual values.

I believe the best option would be to embed the JSON-LD output in the html landing page of each metadata so that search engine can easily find the information and the sitemap doesn't link to odd-looking page (your solution d). Unfortunately my IT skills are a bit short to do that myself...

I'll keep looking for solutions but as usual, any tips are welcome ;)

Thanks for your help,

Nicolas

On 28/02/19 11:44, Francois Prunayre wrote:
Hi Nicolas,

Currently schema.org<http://schema.org> tags are added to the XSL view formatter

a) Add schema.org<http://schema.org> to Angular template (not sure it will help as search engine will not check this JS generated page)

Geonetwork, I wish to make them visible to search engine using schema.org<http://schema.org>
[...]

Belgian Marine Data Centre (BMDC)
OD-Nature, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
02/627.42.79
www.bmdc.be<http://www.bmdc.be>
geonetwork.bmdc.be

Re: schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Paul van Genuchten
Nicolas, thank you for your research. the website on the url you’re referencing is lacking a ccs due to mixed content problems (and therefore looks like a 90’s website)
I suggest you update the settings to let port:443 be the default web port and https the default protocol
In my pull request https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3565 <https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3565> i’m suggesting a couple of improvements to the schema.org <http://schema.org/> mapping, this will facilitate a better mapping to schema.org <http://schema.org/> (indeed current mapping has some challenges). you could also already duplicate the iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl <https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3565/files#diff-865253b6ce7979c99da972f75317384b> from my pull request into your schema to test it.

> [...]
>> https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/master/web-ui/src/main/resources/catalog/views/default/templates/recordView.html <https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/master/web-ui/src/main/resources/catalog/views/default/templates/recordView.html>
>> b) Add a JSON-LD formatter (proposed mapping https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/wiki/JSON-LD---ISO19139-mapping-proposal <https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/wiki/JSON-LD---ISO19139-mapping-proposal>)
>> c) Embed the JSON-LD formatter output in the XSL formatter
>> d) Build the formatter cache automatically (for all public records) to improve access to the default landing page of all records and indexing performances for search engines
>>
>> Francois
>>

>> Le mar. 26 févr. 2019 à 11:07, Ndeville <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> In order to improve the referencing of the metadata files I have on my
>> Geonetwork, I wish to make them visible to search engine using schema.org <http://schema.org/>
>> json-ld format.
>>
>> Thanks to this post
>> https://www.geocat.net/geonetwork-and-the-search-engines/ <https://www.geocat.net/geonetwork-and-the-search-engines/> I have the idea of
>> the different steps to follow. Unfortunately the last step (i.e. create the
>> actual metadata information), is not described.
>> I see an xslt file on the github that should create the correct output for a
>> proper referencing:
>>
>> https://github.com/geo4web-testbed/core-geonetwork/blob/schema_org/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/formatter/schema-org/view.xsl <https://github.com/geo4web-testbed/core-geonetwork/blob/schema_org/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/formatter/schema-org/view.xsl>
>>
>> However two questions are unclear to me:
>>
>> - how to ensure that the information created by the xsl file is written on
>> the html page of each metadata record? (not easy as the html page of MD
>> record has no real content but only links to the information stored
>> somewhere else)
>>
>> - how to call the xsl file? Where do I need to tell geonetwork that I want
>> it to use this formatter (maybe the same answer as the first question).
>>

>> Any input is welcome!
>> Thanks,
>> Nicolas de Ville
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html>

> Nicolas de Ville
> Belgian Marine Data Centre (BMDC)
> OD-Nature, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
> 02/627.42.79
> www.bmdc.be <http://www.bmdc.be/>
> geonetwork.bmdc.be

Re: schema.org implementation for google dataset search

Hello Paul,

Working again on the schema.org schema after a break.

I'm testing your pull request 3565 with the google Structured Data Testing Tool (https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool).

One thing I'm confused about is that I there are actually two times the same file in the geonetwork application:

1. in geonetwork/WEB-INF/data/config/schema_plugins/iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl

2. in data directory data/config/schema_plugins/iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl

After a few tests I noticed that the file used is the one stored in the data directory. This is a bit annoying as my plan was to keep the data directory and the database in a different location than the geonetwork application itself to easily upgrade GN version in the future (and keep metadata files, thumbnails, ...). But if upgrade like that are stored in the data directory that could become a problem in future version...

Would it be possible to keep this data/config folder up-to-date and only store the data/data directory in another location?

Based on this page on customizing the data directory (https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/eng/users/maintainer-guide/installing/customizing-data-directory.html), what would the path looks like?

<bean id="GeonetworkDataDirectory" class="org.fao.geonet.kernel.GeonetworkDataDirectory" lazy-init="true">
  <property name="systemDataDir" ref="GNSystemDataDir"/>
  <property name="schemaPluginsDir" ref="GNSchemaPluginsDir"/>
</bean>
<bean id="GNSystemDataDir" class="java.nio.file.Paths" factory-method="get">
   <constructor-arg index="0" value="/myPath/data/data/"/>
   <constructor-arg index="1"><array /></constructor-arg>
</bean>

I used to write the path to the general data directory /myPath/data/ that contains the three folders (config, data and index).

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas

P.S. Sorry, long mail...

In my pull request https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3565 i’m suggesting a couple of improvements to the schema.org<http://schema.org> mapping, this will facilitate a better mapping to schema.org<http://schema.org> (indeed current mapping has some challenges). you could also already duplicate the iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl<https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/pull/3565/files#diff-865253b6ce7979c99da972f75317384b> from my pull request into your schema to test it.

I see the schema.org<http://schema.org> tags in the html page of my metadata if I build the url such as:

- Making tests on the google structure data testing tool  (https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool#), the schema.org<http://schema.org> elements are recognized but not the actual values.

[...]

Le mar. 16 avr. 2019 à 15:39, Nicolas De Ville de Goyet <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello Paul,
>
> Working again on the schema.org schema after a break.
>
> I'm testing your pull request 3565 with the google Structured Data Testing
> Tool (https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool).
>
> One thing I'm confused about is that I there are actually two times the
> same file in the geonetwork application:
>
> 1. in
> geonetwork/WEB-INF/data/config/schema_plugins/iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl
>
> 2. in data directory
> data/config/schema_plugins/iso19139/formatter/xsl-view/view.xsl
>
> After a few tests I noticed that the file used is the one stored in the
> data directory. This is a bit annoying as my plan was to keep the data
> directory and the database in a different location than the geonetwork
> application itself to easily upgrade GN version in the future (and keep
> metadata files, thumbnails, ...). But if upgrade like that are stored in
> the data directory that could become a problem in future version...
>
> Would it be possible to keep this data/config folder up-to-date and only
> store the data/data directory in another location?

as mentionned in the doc, a good default is
"If no changes are made to thesaurus or schema, it could be relevant to use
the version from the webapp. In such case, set:
-Dgeonetwork.dir=/data/catalogue
-Dgeonetwork.schema.dir=/app/tomcat/webapps/geonetwork/WEB-INF/data/config/schema_plugins
-Dgeonetwork.codeList.dir=/app/tomcat/webapps/geonetwork/WEB-INF/data/config/codelist"

Francois