running KyngChaos GRASS on Mac from command line

running KyngChaos GRASS on Mac from command line

Neil Best
Mr. Kyngesburye and fellow OSX GRASS users, is it possible to run GRASS-6.4.app in a way that doesn't pop over to a new Terminal?  As opposed to saying 'open -a "GRASS-6.4.app"' per GRASS-6.4-ReadMe.rtf, that is.  Call me an endangered species, but I like to run stuff from the emacs shell -- Aquamacs these days.  Going on 20 years of muscle memory -- yikes!  :)

Neil

Re: running KyngChaos GRASS on Mac from command line

William Kyngesburye
The equivalent to the *nix startup 'grass64' in the Mac app package is '/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'.

On Jul 15, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Neil Best wrote:

> Mr. Kyngesburye and fellow OSX GRASS users, is it possible to run
> GRASS-6.4.app in a way that doesn't pop over to a new Terminal?  As opposed
> to saying 'open -a "GRASS-6.4.app"' per GRASS-6.4-ReadMe.rtf, that is.  Call
> me an endangered species, but I like to run stuff from the emacs shell --
> Aquamacs these days.  Going on 20 years of muscle memory -- yikes!  :)
>
> Neil

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Re: running KyngChaos GRASS on Mac from command line

Neil Best
William Kyngesburye wrote
The equivalent to the *nix startup 'grass64' in the Mac app package is '/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'.
Ah, yes, thank you.  I looked right at it when browsing the app contents but it didn't register.

Re: running KyngChaos GRASS on Mac from command line

ssefick
Another route which is more of a pain in the hanches is to grab all of
the dependencies from fink and then roll your own.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Neil Best <[hidden email]> wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>> The equivalent to the *nix startup 'grass64' in the Mac app package is
>> '/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'.
>>

> Ah, yes, thank you.  I looked right at it when browsing the app contents but
> it didn't register.

Stephen Sefick
____________________________________
| Auburn University                                   |
| Department of Biological Sciences           |
| 331 Funchess Hall                                  |
| Auburn, Alabama                                   |
| 36849                                                    |
| [hidden email]                             |
| http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025             |

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

                                -K. Mullis