resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

Gavin Fleming-2
I am trying to  install GeoNetwork 2 Beta 1on both a RedHat and Gentoo machine using TomCat 5 and J2SDK 1.4.2_07, On both machines I run through the whole installation dialog, then it just seems to hang and not complete. Any ideas? Should it deploy automatically or do I need to manually deploy it using TomCat administrator?

later...now it has completed the install process but is still not deploying properly. see www.eis-africa.org:8080/geonetwork

thanks

Gavin

RE: resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE

Could you post your Tomcat Log & exceptions ?

Francois

Re: resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

acarboni
Alle 08:44, giovedì 21 luglio 2005, Gavin Fleming ha scritto:
> I am trying to  install GeoNetwork 2 Beta 1on both a RedHat and Gentoo machine using TomCat 5
> and J2SDK 1.4.2_07, On both machines I run through the whole installation dialog, then it just
> seems to hang and not complete. Any ideas? Should it deploy automatically or do I need to manually
> deploy it using TomCat administrator?

The installer should do its work quickly but if it hangs, try the jdk 1.5.0

> later...now it has completed the install process but is still not deploying properly.
> see www.eis-africa.org:8080/geonetwork

As stated in the first panel of the installer, you have to manually change the tomcat's server.xml file.
Another option could be to install the supplied Jetty package and use the start/stop scripts inside the
bin directory.

Cheers,
Andrea

Re: resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

acarboni
Hi Gavin,

can you send me more information? (Like the log/catalina.out file etc...)
Anyway, I think that the config file of tomcat 5 is a bit different from the one
of tomcat 4 (we are only using tomcat 4). In this case I cannot help because
we use tomcat 4 and I don't know tomcat 5.

Cheers,
Andrea

Alle 09:38, lunedì 25 luglio 2005, hai scritto:

> thanks Andrea, your tip got it working on http://www.eis-africa.org:8080/geonetwork
>
> I'm still struggling on my other server (Gentoo, Tomcat 5, JDK 1.4.2). I've fixed the server.xml but it's still not working.
>
> HTTP Status 404 - /geonetwork/

> type Status report
>
> message /geonetwork/
>
> description The requested resource (/geonetwork/) is not available.

> Apache Tomcat/5.0.27
>
> conf # /etc/init.d/tomcat5 restart
>  * Stopping Tomcat ...
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat5/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.08                              [ ok ]
>  * Starting Tomcat ...
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat5/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.08                              [ ok ]
>

> any more tips?
>
> thanks
>
> Gavin

RE: resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
Tomcat 5 works well for me - on windows.

Here is my server.xml with both geonetwork 1.2.1 (on
http://localhost:8080/geonetwork) and beta2 (on
http://localhost:8080/geonetwork2) :
<Context
        path="/geonetwork2"
        docBase="C:/Application/geonetwork2/web"
        crossContext="false"
        debug="0"
        reloadable="false" />

<Context path="/geonetwork" docBase="C:\Application\geonetwork121/web"
crossContext="false" debug="0" reloadable="false" />

Using MySQL for DB.

HTH.
Francois

can you send me more information? (Like the log/catalina.out file etc...)
Anyway, I think that the config file of tomcat 5 is a bit different from the
one of tomcat 4 (we are only using tomcat 4). In this case I cannot help
because we use tomcat 4 and I don't know tomcat 5.

Cheers,
Andrea

Alle 09:38, lunedì 25 luglio 2005, hai scritto:
> thanks Andrea, your tip got it working on
> http://www.eis-africa.org:8080/geonetwork
>
> I'm still struggling on my other server (Gentoo, Tomcat 5, JDK 1.4.2).
I've fixed the server.xml but it's still not working.

> HTTP Status 404 - /geonetwork/

> ----------
>
> type Status report
>
> message /geonetwork/
>
> description The requested resource (/geonetwork/) is not available.

> ----------
>
> Apache Tomcat/5.0.27
>
> conf # /etc/init.d/tomcat5 restart
>  * Stopping Tomcat ...
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat5/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.08
[ ok ]
>  * Starting Tomcat ...
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat5/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/sun-jdk-1.4.2.08
[ ok ]

> any more tips?
>
> thanks
>
> Gavin

GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner pour des virus ou des polluriels et
rien de suspect n'a ete trouve.

Les donnees et renseignements contenus dans ce message sont personnels,
confidentiels et prives. Toute publication, utilisation ou diffusion, meme
partielle, doit etre autorisee.

Any data and information contained in this electronic mail is personal,
confidential and secret. Any total or partial publication, use or
distribution must be authorized.

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de suspect n'a ete trouve.

Les donnees et renseignements contenus dans ce message sont personnels, confidentiels et prives. Toute publication, utilisation ou diffusion, meme partielle, doit etre autorisee.

Any data and information contained in this electronic mail is personal, confidential and secret. Any total or partial publication, use or distribution must be authorized.

Re: resend: problem installing GeoNetwork

acarboni
Here is what is present into the catalina log:

SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /opt/geonetwork/web does not exist or is not a readable directory
        at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:138)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3910)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4138)

So you should have a look into your "/opt/geonetwork/web" directory and see if it exists
and is readable.

Cheers,
Andrea

Alle 12:39, giovedì 28 luglio 2005, hai scritto:

> Geonetwork 1.2.1 works fine for me as well on RedHat with Tomcat 5.5 and JDK 1.5 (with the JDK 1.4 compatibility items installed)
>
> The server that's giving problems is Gentoo with Tomcat 5.0 with JDK 1.4.2. I'm using default McKoi for DB. I'd like to use PostGres but that does not seem to be an option.
>
> attached is its catalina.out
>
> thanks
>
> Gavin

> Tomcat 5 works well for me - on windows.
>
> Here is my server.xml with both geonetwork 1.2.1 (on
> http://localhost:8080/geonetwork) and beta2 (on
> http://localhost:8080/geonetwork2) :
> <Context
>     path="/geonetwork2"
>     docBase="C:/Application/geonetwork2/web"
>     crossContext="false"
>     debug="0"
>     reloadable="false" />
>
> <Context path="/geonetwork" docBase="C:\Application\geonetwork121/web"
> crossContext="false" debug="0" reloadable="false" />
>
> Using MySQL for DB.
>
> HTH.
> Francois

It seems that another geonetwork is running or that the previous one did
not shutdown. To check the latter case, see your PC's processes and look for
java instances.

Cheers,
Andrea