repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
Here is a problem one of my students encountered installing GRASS for Windows.

It is a problem that happens very often. It is not a GRASS problem per se, but it would be nice if we could solve it. Failing that, could we post on the WIKI or somewhere the solution to fixing the insidious missing DLL problem. Maybe even post a link to the fix on the GRASS for Windows download page. Then I could just send people there instead of having to ask on the list (or try to find if I kept the last email of someone who answered before).

Thanks
Michael
______________________________
C. Michael Barton
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Laura Swantek <[hidden email]>
Subject: problem installing new version of Grass
Date: March 5, 2013 2:12:09 PM MST
To: C Barton <[hidden email]>

Hi Michael,
I tried to update my version of Grass and keep getting the message below.  I've re-installed the program several times and keep getting this message.  I have no idea what MSVCP100.dll is so I don't know where to start to solve the problem.  Help, please!

Inline image 1

Thank you!
Laura

--
Laura A. Swantek
Graduate Student

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Helena Mitasova-7
Michael,

it has been discussed several times and it is in bug tracker - for now I put the info on my course website
so that students don't miss it and that has so far helped to avoid the complaints from the students
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/GIS_anal_assign/GIS_Anal_Aintro.html

Also, it is actually right on top of the MS-Windows  installer packages webpage
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
perhaps  it would be useful to put there "if you are getting a message about missing MSVCR71.dll"

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
2800 Faucette Drive, Rm. 1125 Jordan Hall
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

On Mar 5, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Here is a problem one of my students encountered installing GRASS for Windows.
>
> It is a problem that happens very often. It is not a GRASS problem per se, but it would be nice if we could solve it. Failing that, could we post on the WIKI or somewhere the solution to fixing the insidious missing DLL problem. Maybe even post a link to the fix on the GRASS for Windows download page. Then I could just send people there instead of having to ask on the list (or try to find if I kept the last email of someone who answered before).
>
> Thanks
> Michael
> ______________________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice:
> 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
> www:
> http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Laura Swantek <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: problem installing new version of Grass
>> Date: March 5, 2013 2:12:09 PM MST
>> To: C Barton <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>> I tried to update my version of Grass and keep getting the message below.  I've re-installed the program several times and keep getting this message.  I have no idea what MSVCP100.dll is so I don't know where to start to solve the problem.  Help, please!
>>

>> <image.png>
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Laura
>>
>> --
>> Laura A. Swantek
>> Graduate Student
>> Ceramic Rehydroxylation Dating, Research Assistant
>> School of Human Evolution and Social Change
>> Arizona State University
>> Tempe, AZ 85287

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
This is what I had in mind. Make it REALLY obvious. I've had to look this up 6-8 times in the past few months…and I don't use windows  ;-(

Thanks. I will pass this on to my student.

Michael
______________________________
C. Michael Barton

On Mar 5, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, it is actually right on top of the MS-Windows  installer packages webpage
> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
> perhaps  it would be useful to put there "if you are getting a message about missing MSVCR71.dll"
>
> Helena

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Markus Neteler
See now on top of
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/

Better now?

BTW, discussed as ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428

Markus

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
That's great. Now I can just tell people with this problem to see the hint at the top of the page and get the needed file to fix it.

Thanks a million!

Michael
____________________
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)

On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> See now on top of
> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
>
> Better now?
>
> BTW, discussed as ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428
>
> Markus

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
That would be nice if possible.

Michael
____________________
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)

On Mar 6, 2013, at 7:30 AM, Robert Lagacé <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Is it possible that th installation script test if the library is present and
> report a message to install it?
>
> Robert Lagacé

> De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Michael Barton [[hidden email]]
> Date d'envoi : 6 mars 2013 02:24
> À : Markus Neteler
> Cc : Helena Mitasova; GRASS developers list
> Objet : Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>
> That's great. Now I can just tell people with this problem to see the hint at the top of the page and get the needed file to fix it.
>
> Thanks a million!
>
> Michael
> ____________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
>
> voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu
>

> On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> See now on top of
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
>>
>> Better now?
>>
>> BTW, discussed as ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428
>>
>> Markus

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
Robert,

I'm afraid I don't know much about Windows compiling or installing (I'm more of a Mac person with Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list could help you with this. I'm copying the list.

Thanks
Michael
______________________________
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
                http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

On Mar 6, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Robert Lagacé <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> If you can give me the name of the installation script (or the script itself),
> I will try to find a way.
>
> Robert Lagacé

> De : Michael Barton [[hidden email]]
> Date d'envoi : 6 mars 2013 10:09
> À : Robert Lagacé
> Cc : GRASS developers grass-developers
> Objet : Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>
> That would be nice if possible.
>
> Michael
> ____________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
>
> voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu
>

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 7:30 AM, Robert Lagacé <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Is it possible that th installation script test if the library is present and
>> report a message to install it?
>>
>> Robert Lagacé

>> De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Michael Barton [[hidden email]]
>> Date d'envoi : 6 mars 2013 02:24
>> À : Markus Neteler
>> Cc : Helena Mitasova; GRASS developers list
>> Objet : Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>>
>> That's great. Now I can just tell people with this problem to see the hint at the top of the page and get the needed file to fix it.
>>
>> Thanks a million!
>>
>> Michael
>> ____________________
>> C. Michael Barton
>> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
>> fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu
>>

>> On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> See now on top of
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software/ms-windows/
>>>
>>> Better now?
>>>
>>> BTW, discussed as ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428
>>>
>>> Markus

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Helmut Kudrnovsky

>> If you can give me the name of the installation script (or the script itself),
>> I will try to find a way.

>Robert,
>
>I'm afraid I don't know much about Windows compiling or installing (I'm more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list could help you with this. I'm copying the list.

the installer script for the standalone-wingrass-nsis-installer:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl
best regards
Helmut

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Helmut Kudrnovsky

>> If you can give me the name of the installation script (or the script
>> itself),
>> I will try to find a way.

>Robert,
>
>I'm afraid I don't know much about Windows compiling or installing (I'm
more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list
could help you with this. I'm copying the list.

for some hint see:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1428
best regards
Helmut

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
Thanks Helmut.

Sadly, it turns out that the solutions on the link now on the download page will help many but not all people who get this error. My student tried all suggestions so far to no avail.

I suggested (hopefully correctly) to do a search on the dll and see if there are multiple copies, including out of date ones. But I'm not sure what else to have her try.

Michael
______________________________
C. Michael Barton
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)

On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:46 AM, <[hidden email]>

From: Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
Date: March 6, 2013 1:26:45 PM MST

If you can give me the name of the installation script (or the script
itself),
I will try to find a way.

Robert,

I'm afraid I don't know much about Windows compiling or installing (I'm
more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list
could help you with this. I'm copying the list.

the installer script for the standalone-wingrass-nsis-installer:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl

-----
best regards
Helmut

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Helena Mitasova-7
Michael

has she tried the suggestion that my students found and that worked for them:
http://i.justrealized.com/2009/how-to-fix-missing-msvcr71dll-problem-in-windows/

On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Thanks Helmut.
>
> Sadly, it turns out that the solutions on the link now on the download page will help many but not all people who get this error. My student tried all suggestions so far to no avail.
>
> I suggested (hopefully correctly) to do a search on the dll and see if there are multiple copies, including out of date ones. But I'm not sure what else to have her try.
>
> Michael
> ______________________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice:
> 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
> www:
> http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>
> On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:46 AM, <[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
>
>> From: Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>> Date: March 6, 2013 1:26:45 PM MST
>> To: <[hidden email]>

>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> I'm afraid I don't know much about Windows compiling or installing (I'm
>> more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list
>> could help you with this. I'm copying the list.
>>
>> the installer script for the standalone-wingrass-nsis-installer:
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl
>>

>> -----
>> best regards
>> Helmut

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Michael Barton
She tried whatever solutions are given in the link on the download page. I'll copy her in case this is different.

Michael
______________________________

On Mar 7, 2013, at 11:10 AM, Helena Mitasova <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael
>
> has she tried the suggestion that my students found and that worked for them:
> http://i.justrealized.com/2009/how-to-fix-missing-msvcr71dll-problem-in-windows/
>
> Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Associate Professor
> Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
> 2800 Faucette Drive, Rm. 1125 Jordan Hall
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> [hidden email]
>
> "All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”
>
> On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> Thanks Helmut.
>>
>> Sadly, it turns out that the solutions on the link now on the download page will help many but not all people who get this error. My student tried all suggestions so far to no avail.
>>
>> I suggested (hopefully correctly) to do a search on the dll and see if there are multiple copies, including out of date ones. But I'm not sure what else to have her try.
>>
>> Michael
>> ______________________________
>> C. Michael Barton
>> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Arizona State University
>> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
>> USA
>>
>> voice:
>> 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
>> fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
>> www:
>> http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
>> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:46 AM, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>>> Date: March 6, 2013 1:26:45 PM MST
>>> To: <[hidden email]>

>>> more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list
>>> could help you with this. I'm copying the list.
>>>
>>> the installer script for the standalone-wingrass-nsis-installer:
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl
>>>

>>> -----
>>> best regards
>>> Helmut

RE : repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Robert Lagacé-3

I found the following Web page that may help :

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/msvcr71-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

By the way, I found the name of the installation script (the template) for Windows. It is
doable to test if the msvcr71.dll has a key in the Registry (normally if installed). I cannot
test it because I do not have acces to Windows at the moment.

Robert Lagacé

De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Michael Barton [[hidden email]]
Date d'envoi : 7 mars 2013 13:30
À : Helena Mitasova
Cc : Helmut Kudrnovsky; GRASS developers list; Laura Swantek

> [...]

>> www:
>> http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
>> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:46 AM, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows
>>> Date: March 6, 2013 1:26:45 PM MST
>>> To: <[hidden email]>

>>> more of a Mac person with >Linux second). Perhaps others on the dev list
>>> could help you with this. I'm copying the list.
>>>
>>> the installer script for the standalone-wingrass-nsis-installer:
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches/releasebranch_6_4/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl
>>>

>>> -----
>>> best regards
>>> Helmut

Re: repeated problem for installing GRASS for windows

Thanks Robert,

This site has LOTS of information about this pernicious problem.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)