rename 'wxgrass'?

Michael Barton
rename 'wxgrass'? We've been calling the wxPython interface to GRASS 'wxgrass' for the past 6 months or so. This is an informal reference and simply the name of the BASH script used to start the GUI. We came up with this to do something different from the current GUI init script "gis.m".

However, before we begin distributing this GUI with GRASS, I think we should change the name of the script and how we reference this GUI. This past spring, it came to my attention that Francisco Alonso, Universidad de Murcia, has developed an application with a wxPython interface that incorporates GRASS commands. He calls this wxGRASS. It has been presented at a GIS conference in Spain and it's web site is here: <http://www.um.es/geograf/sigmur/wxgrass/wxGRASS.html>.

It is a nice application with some good interface ideas. I and others have been in contact with Francisco and exchanged information about our wxPython interfaces. If time permits, he may even help with some of the GUI coding eventually.

Since he has used the term wxGRASS first, I think we should use another name our our GUI init script and informal reference to the wxPython interface for GRASS so as not to cause confusion. I'm open to suggestions.

Here are some initial ideas I've had: wxpg, wxpgrass, grasswx, grassgui (this could be the generic calling script for whatever is the current GRASS GUI), wxgui, wxpgui.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: rename 'wxgrass'?

Wolf Bergenheim
On 06.08.2007 07:19, Michael Barton wrote:
> We've been calling the wxPython interface to GRASS 'wxgrass' for the
>
> Here are some initial ideas I've had: wxpg, wxpgrass, grasswx, grassgui
> (this could be the generic calling script for whatever is the current
> GRASS GUI), wxgui, wxpgui.

I think it is the GRASS GUI, and should be called that. Who cares whet
programming language it was made in or what toolkit it uses. The TCL GUI
could be called old GUI when we switch. Until that time talking about
the new GUI and the old GUI should be pretty clear to everybody.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>

Re: [GRASS-dev] rename 'wxgrass'?

WolfgangZ
Michael Barton schrieb:

> We've been calling the wxPython interface to GRASS 'wxgrass' for the
> past 6 months or so. This is an informal reference and simply the name
> of the BASH script used to start the GUI. We came up with this to do
> something different from the current GUI init script "gis.m".
>
> However, before we begin distributing this GUI with GRASS, I think we
> should change the name of the script and how we reference this GUI. This
> past spring, it came to my attention that Francisco Alonso, Universidad
> de Murcia, has developed an application with a wxPython interface that
> incorporates GRASS commands. He calls this wxGRASS. It has been
> presented at a GIS conference in Spain and it's web site is here:
> <http://www.um.es/geograf/sigmur/wxgrass/wxGRASS.html>.
>
> It is a nice application with some good interface ideas. I and others
> have been in contact with Francisco and exchanged information about our
> wxPython interfaces. If time permits, he may even help with some of the
> GUI coding eventually.
>
> Since he has used the term wxGRASS first, I think we should use another
> name our our GUI init script and informal reference to the wxPython
> interface for GRASS so as not to cause confusion. I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Here are some initial ideas I've had: wxpg, wxpgrass, grasswx, grassgui
> (this could be the generic calling script for whatever is the current
> GRASS GUI), wxgui, wxpgui.
>
> Michael

Hello,

I'm more or less only a temporal grass user, but I would also prefer
Grass Gui or when this is too long g.gui .

Regards
Wolfgang