rename wxgrass / g.gui

Martin Landa
Hi all,

I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
again.

I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui and create module
like g.gui or whatever (?)

Regards, Martin

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *

Re: rename wxgrass / g.gui

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

what about PyGRASS GUI ?

will g.gui accept --gui-type flags?

jachym

Martin Landa píše v Pá 08. 02. 2008 v 16:41 +0100:

> Hi all,
>
> I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
> wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
> again.
>
> I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui and create module
> like g.gui or whatever (?)
>
> Regards, Martin
>
> [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: rename wxgrass / g.gui

Martin Landa
Ahoj,

2008/2/8, Jachym Cepicky <[hidden email]>:

> what about PyGRASS GUI ?

?? You mean wxPython GUI?

> will g.gui accept --gui-type flags?

yes, definitely it should

g.gui --gui-type=[wxpython|tcltk|oldtcltk]

tlctk == gis.m
oldtcltk == d.m

?

Martin

> jachym
>
> Martin Landa píše v Pá 08. 02. 2008 v 16:41 +0100:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
> > wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
> > again.
> >
> > I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui and create module
> > like g.gui or whatever (?)
> >
> > Regards, Martin
> >
> > [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html
> >
> --
> Jachym Cepicky
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *

Re: rename wxgrass / g.gui

Markus Neteler
On Feb 8, 2008 5:10 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> g.gui --gui-type=[wxpython|tcltk|oldtcltk]
>
> tlctk == gis.m
> oldtcltk == d.m

Looks good to me. And it should *remember* the preference for
the current location...

Markus

Re: rename wxgrass / g.gui

hamish-2
Martin Landa wrote:
> I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
> wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
> again.
> [1]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html

the whole thread, more ideas:
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/21880

> I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui

+1, although it is a bit generic?
eg possible namespace collision with python-gnuradio. [apt-file search]
(that seems just to be a directory name, but ...)
I guess as long as it's an internal grass module and not in /usr/bin
it's ok?

> and create module like g.gui or whatever (?)

+0 for the name. Sounds ok.

I suppose g.gui will be a script, and it should use the normal parser
unless there is some big reason not to. So --tcltk option would become
  g.gui gui=[wxpy|tcltk|oldtcltk]
or whatever names you like, with the default set to ...

IIUC d.m and gis.m will be dropped for GRASS 7. I think it is ok to
mandate Python for GRASS 7 but we should keep it optional for GRASS 6.
.... So what language to write g.gui in?
Both /bin/sh + .bat versions depending on platform via Makefile magic?
Do it in C?

Hamish

Re: rename wxgrass / g.gui

Martin Landa
Hi,

2008/2/8, Hamish <[hidden email]>:

> Martin Landa wrote:
> > I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
> > wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
> > again.
> > [1]
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html
>
> the whole thread, more ideas:
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/21880
>

> > I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui
>
> +1, although it is a bit generic?
> eg possible namespace collision with python-gnuradio. [apt-file search]
> (that seems just to be a directory name, but ...)
> I guess as long as it's an internal grass module and not in /usr/bin
> it's ok?

hm, wxgui is maybe too much generic name. When we have g.gui, we don't
need to copy wxgrass/wxgui script to $GISBASE/scripts. $GISBASE/etc/wx
(or better $GISBASE/etc/wxpython) would be sufficient place . The
wxgui will be started via g.gui type=wxpython.

> > and create module like g.gui or whatever (?)
>
> +0 for the name. Sounds ok.
>
> I suppose g.gui will be a script, and it should use the normal parser
> unless there is some big reason not to. So --tcltk option would become
>   g.gui gui=[wxpy|tcltk|oldtcltk]
> or whatever names you like, with the default set to ...
>
> IIUC d.m and gis.m will be dropped for GRASS 7. I think it is ok to

+1

> mandate Python for GRASS 7 but we should keep it optional for GRASS 6.
> .... So what language to write g.gui in?
> Both /bin/sh + .bat versions depending on platform via Makefile magic?
> Do it in C?

Not sure, I wrote draft in C

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/43

Martin

2008/2/9, Martin Landa <[hidden email]>:

> > > I remember there was discussion about renaming wxgrass [1]. Before
> > > wxgui will be used by users, I would like to raise this question
> > > again.
> > > [1]
> > > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032604.html
> >
> > the whole thread, more ideas:
> >  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/21880
> >

> > > I think we should rename wxgrass script to wxgui
> >
> > +1, although it is a bit generic?
> > eg possible namespace collision with python-gnuradio. [apt-file search]
> > (that seems just to be a directory name, but ...)
> > I guess as long as it's an internal grass module and not in /usr/bin
> > it's ok?
>
> hm, wxgui is maybe too much generic name. When we have g.gui, we don't
> need to copy wxgrass/wxgui script to $GISBASE/scripts. $GISBASE/etc/wx
> (or better $GISBASE/etc/wxpython) would be sufficient place . The
> wxgui will be started via g.gui type=wxpython.
>
> > > and create module like g.gui or whatever (?)
> >
> > +0 for the name. Sounds ok.
> >
> > I suppose g.gui will be a script, and it should use the normal parser
> > unless there is some big reason not to. So --tcltk option would become
> >   g.gui gui=[wxpy|tcltk|oldtcltk]
> > or whatever names you like, with the default set to ...
> >
> > IIUC d.m and gis.m will be dropped for GRASS 7. I think it is ok to
>
> +1
>
> > mandate Python for GRASS 7 but we should keep it optional for GRASS 6.
> > .... So what language to write g.gui in?
> > Both /bin/sh + .bat versions depending on platform via Makefile magic?
> > Do it in C?
>
> Not sure, I wrote draft in C
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/43

I summarized the issues on wiki