[release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Markus Neteler
Hi devs,

since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
Python 2 support in master.

This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.

Markus

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Neteler wrote
> Hi devs,
>
> since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> Python 2 support in master.

+1

-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Grass-Dev-f3991897.html
best regards
Helmut

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Anna Petrášová

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 9:20 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi devs,

since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
Python 2 support in master.

This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.

It would require extra effort to remove it, I don't see a great need to do that, it will make backporting harder too. Is there something specifically that bothers you? We can require Python3 but keep unofficially the compatibility as long as practical. But maybe I am missing something.

Anna

Markus

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Markus Metz-3

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> Python 2 support in master.
>
> This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.

I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
#!/usr/bin/env python
#!/usr/bin/env python3

Markus M

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Markus Metz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> > Python 2 support in master.
> >
> > This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.
>
> I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> #!/usr/bin/env python3

Exactly.

markusN

PS: Those users insisting on Python 2 may then just run

find -name '*.py' | xargs sed -i 's,#!/usr/bin/env
python3,#!/usr/bin/env python2,' && \
    sed -i 's,python3,python2,' include/Make/Platform.make.in

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> > Python 2 support in master.
> >
> > This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.
>
> I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> #!/usr/bin/env python3

I have created a related PR:
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/75

markusN

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Markus Metz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> > > Python 2 support in master.
> > >
> > > This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.
> >
> > I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
> > #!/usr/bin/env python3
>
> I have created a related PR:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/75

FYI: It has been reviewed and merged.

I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?

markusN

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Markus Metz
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
> > > #!/usr/bin/env python
> > > #!/usr/bin/env python3
> >
> > I have created a related PR:
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/75
>
> FYI: It has been reviewed and merged.
>
> I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?

+1 to apply it also to relbr78

Markus M

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Markus Metz-3 wrote
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM Markus Neteler &lt;

> neteler@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Markus Neteler &lt;

> neteler@

> &gt; wrote:
>> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Markus Metz
>> > &lt;

> markus.metz.giswork@

> neteler@

> &gt;

> few months.

>> > I have created a related PR:
>> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/75
>>
>> FYI: It has been reviewed and merged.
>>
>> I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?
>
> +1 to apply it also to relbr78
>
> Markus M

+1

-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Grass-Dev-f3991897.html
best regards
Helmut

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Martin Landa

ne 4. 8. 2019 v 15:20 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
> since we now have the 7.8 release branch, I suggest to get rid of
> Python 2 support in master.
>
> This will greatly simplify the code. Python 2 is EOL anyway in a few months.

+1

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Martin Landa

po 5. 8. 2019 v 17:28 odesílatel Markus Metz
<[hidden email]> napsal:
> > I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?
>
> +1 to apply it also to relbr78

I am not sure. Do we plan to change package dependency (Debian,
Ubuntu, Fedora) from Python2 to Python3?

Ma

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 8/5/19 8:23 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> po 5. 8. 2019 v 17:28 odesílatel Markus Metz napsal:
>>> I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?
>>
>> +1 to apply it also to relbr78
>
> I am not sure. Do we plan to change package dependency (Debian,
> Ubuntu, Fedora) from Python2 to Python3?

The grass package in Debian will be switched to Python 3 ASAP. 7.8 looks
like the first release that will make that possible.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 5. Aug. 2019, 20:43:
On 8/5/19 8:23 PM, Martin Landa wrote:
> po 5. 8. 2019 v 17:28 odesílatel Markus Metz napsal:
>>> I am tempted to apply it also to relbranch78... opinions?
>>
>> +1 to apply it also to relbr78
>
> I am not sure. Do we plan to change package dependency (Debian,
> Ubuntu, Fedora) from Python2 to Python3?

The grass package in Debian will be switched to Python 3 ASAP. 7.8 looks
like the first release that will make that possible.

Yes, finally that's available.

And in Fedora, those packages without Python 3 support will be removed these days.

Best,
Markus

Re: [release planning] GRASS GIS 8.0.0

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess the first step would be to change the deprecated shebang
> > > #!/usr/bin/env python
> > > #!/usr/bin/env python3
> >
> > I have created a related PR:
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/75