[release planning] 7.6.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
Hi devs,

according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0
- Proposal of release: ~14 May
- Soft freeze of release branch: ~23 May
- RC1: ~23 June
- RC2: ~7 July
- Final release: ~29 July 2018 - GRASS GIS birthday!

In  addition, we could make it into the upcoming OSGeoLive 12 being
prepared for the FOSS4G 2018 (see below).

IMHO we have definitely accumulated enough new new features. The next
step would be to create a release branch and shift the attention to
the new branch accordingly.

Strong opinions against it?

Markus

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeoLive] OSGeoLive 12.0 status: alpha1
To: Osgeolive <[hidden email]>, OSGeo Discussions
<[hidden email]>

Hi all,

The OSGeoLive team is working hard to get the next version ready for
FOSS4G 2018.
[...]
New projects are still welcome to join, since our feature freeze is July 2nd.

Cheers,
Angelos
[...]
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Martin Landa
Hi,

po 11. 6. 2018 v 18:07 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Strong opinions against it?

no strong opinion, I was expecting G7.6 later anyway, autumn/end of year or so.

> New projects are still welcome to join, since our feature freeze is July 2nd.

The deadline July 2nd seems to be hard since there is no release
branch created (we are reaching step 1), see [1].

In the worst case, GRASS 7.4.1 could be fine for OSGeoLive 12, or am I wrong?

Martin

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/4_ReleaseProcedure#GeneralProcedure

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Martin Landa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> po 11. 6. 2018 v 18:07 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
>> Strong opinions against it?
>
> no strong opinion, I was expecting G7.6 later anyway, autumn/end of year or so.
>
>> New projects are still welcome to join, since our feature freeze is July 2nd.
>
> The deadline July 2nd seems to be hard since there is no release
> branch created (we are reaching step 1), see [1].
>
> In the worst case, GRASS 7.4.1 could be fine for OSGeoLive 12, or am I wrong?

I got recently a comment that we are too slow with new releases :-)

So this was my attempt to come to speed with 7.6 (which I'd love to
use in production as well).

Markus

> Martin
>
> [1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/RFC/4_ReleaseProcedure#GeneralProcedure
>
> --
> Martin Landa
> http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
> http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Michael Barton
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
Anna is making significant headway in fixing remaining serious bugs in the GUI, although she has a lot of other things taking up her time. I just compiled and uploaded a new 7.5 svn binary with these fixes.

The main remaining one is the vector digitizer (hopefully the interactive image classification module is the same problem). It would be really nice to have a working digitizer in the next stable version.

Michael
______________________________
C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA
 
voice:    480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www:      http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
                                http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

On 6/11/18, 12:00 PM, "grass-dev on behalf of [hidden email]" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:07:12 +0200
    From: Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
    To: GRASS developers list <[hidden email]>
    Subject: [GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0
    Message-ID:
    <[hidden email]>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
   
    Hi devs,
   
    according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:
   
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_milestone_7.6.0&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=NN5QL-ZKpvaFz-G9MV9U0kofdpVVJa07K-E4M4Kdv3s&s=VMye6iLt35vSI7EJ2KLE1dsoP5unu9-z3PAGtXeeHl4&e=
    - Proposal of release: ~14 May
    - Soft freeze of release branch: ~23 May
    - RC1: ~23 June
    - RC2: ~7 July
    - Final release: ~29 July 2018 - GRASS GIS birthday!
   
    In  addition, we could make it into the upcoming OSGeoLive 12 being
    prepared for the FOSS4G 2018 (see below).
   
    IMHO we have definitely accumulated enough new new features. The next
    step would be to create a release branch and shift the attention to
    the new branch accordingly.
   
    Strong opinions against it?
   
    Markus
   
   

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0

What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching "releasebranch_7_6/" ?

thanks
Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

wenzeslaus

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0

What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching "releasebranch_7_6/" ?


The two following enhancement tickets would be really good to resolve before 7.6 (branch or at least release) since it requires CLI API to be consolidated. #3586 is a blocker because it needs an API change (new API which is now in trunk, 7.5) and #3585 would be good to have resolved before this new API is publicized (it suggests to simplify it at the cost of duplication or potential confusion).

#3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
#3586 Add XY location to grass command interface



_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Moritz Lennert
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
On 17/06/18 23:24, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0
>
> What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching "releasebranch_7_6/" ?

I would love to see https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3348 fixed as it
makes working in a combination of terminal and GUI quite annoying
because of the GTK messages flooding the terminal.

I just added a comment to this ticket as I think one of the issues is
the position of the "Render" checkbox.

Don't know if this is enough of an issue to keep us from branching, or
if this can be backported to the 7.6 branch once it is fixed in trunk.

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Michael Barton
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, fixing the vector digitizer for the Mac is a major need. I hope that this could also fix the interactive supervised classification tool.

Several other problems have recently been fixed. Of the remaining ones, the most troublesome are incorrect behavior of cmd-C, cmd-V, and cmd-X (copy, paste, cut). Sometimes these work fine. In other places, they do nothing, and in some cmd-C will close a module unexpectedly. These just need correct key mappings, It should be automatic in wxPython. But if a control has been customized or custom developed, the key mappings need to be explicit.

Michael

_________________________________
 
C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University
 
voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

On 6/26/18, 9:03 PM, "grass-dev on behalf of [hidden email]" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 22:33:36 -0400
    From: Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]>
    To: Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
    Cc: GRASS developers list <[hidden email]>
    Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0
    Message-ID:
    <[hidden email]>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
   
    On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
   
    >On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >> Hi devs,
    >>
    >> according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0
    >release:
    >>
    >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_milestone_7.6.0&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=kpK-X3V4O5oQTNpcFVTDnRr-EbApoSvUUtRw57eoZLY&s=VgyvQPZKq3x8z8vaoixBjbIDKzLay7-SG0lAPP6BkSA&e=
    >
    >What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching
    >"releasebranch_7_6/" ?
    >
   
   
    The two following enhancement tickets would be really good to resolve
    before 7.6 (branch or at least release) since it requires CLI API to be
    consolidated. #3586 is a blocker because it needs an API change (new API
    which is now in trunk, 7.5) and #3585 would be good to have resolved before
    this new API is publicized (it suggests to simplify it at the cost of
    duplication or potential confusion).
   
    #3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
    #3586 Add XY location to grass command interface
   
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3585&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=kpK-X3V4O5oQTNpcFVTDnRr-EbApoSvUUtRw57eoZLY&s=vLMcUQLMo2kBDXqZQ0wt4UG6HqSC5KAhIdixYxo4BCo&e=
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3586&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=kpK-X3V4O5oQTNpcFVTDnRr-EbApoSvUUtRw57eoZLY&s=VZDfS65pQWtYMNCDm-d9Q0DYDY0JO_dbLxv_C2BnrP4&e=
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.osgeo.org_pipermail_grass-2Ddev_attachments_20180626_fa1ca424_attachment-2D0001.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=kpK-X3V4O5oQTNpcFVTDnRr-EbApoSvUUtRw57eoZLY&s=jgwmgIZ99_q_NnXwjfhvMVvgiWi10r5nTF7LpcdsqhU&e=>

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
In reply to this post by Michael Barton
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:10 AM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anna is making significant headway in fixing remaining serious bugs in the GUI, although she has a lot of other things taking up her time. I just compiled and uploaded a new 7.5 svn binary with these fixes.
>
> The main remaining one is the vector digitizer (hopefully the interactive image classification module is the same problem). It would be really nice to have a working digitizer in the next stable version.

... what is the current state here?

thanks
Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Michael Barton
I think there has been no change yet. Normally, Anna would ask me to test any major fixes.

The other item I forgot about and just now ran into is that the import modules are broken. We can still use r.in.gdal, v.in.ogr, etc, but not the nice integrated modules. My guess from the error is that this will be a fairly simple fix. I did a bug report on Trac awhile back.

My other guess is that the problems are mostly (all?) from deprecated or non-'standard' wx code that does not work correctly in wxPython 3+. Since all of GRASS will need to migrate to this soon, it will be good to get it cleared up.

Michael

_________________________________
 
C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University
 
voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

On 7/15/18, 1:05 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Markus Neteler" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:10 AM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Anna is making significant headway in fixing remaining serious bugs in the GUI, although she has a lot of other things taking up her time. I just compiled and uploaded a new 7.5 svn binary with these fixes.
    >
    > The main remaining one is the vector digitizer (hopefully the interactive image classification module is the same problem). It would be really nice to have a working digitizer in the next stable version.
   
    ... what is the current state here?
   
    thanks
    Markus
   

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

wenzeslaus
In reply to this post by wenzeslaus


On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> according to our plans we should start to prepare the initial 7.6.0 release:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0

What needs to be fixed in _trunk_ first before branching "releasebranch_7_6/" ?


The two following enhancement tickets would be really good to resolve before 7.6 (branch or at least release) since it requires CLI API to be consolidated. #3586 is a blocker because it needs an API change (new API which is now in trunk, 7.5) and #3585 would be good to have resolved before this new API is publicized (it suggests to simplify it at the cost of duplication or potential confusion).

#3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
#3586 Add XY location to grass command interface



I fixed and closed these two last week.

#3348 or other bugs or annoyances don't prevent us from branching as they don't involve large code changes which would make subsequent backports impossible nor they are API changes which could lead to bad legacy APIs or API breaks.

There are no tickets marked as blocker or critical and there is only 8 defect tickets.

Additionally, the `grass --tmp-location` flag is probably (hopefully) addition useful enough to make for next minor release. (Forgive me for not recalling other changes.) [Side note: I'm saying this because I just saw a note somewhere complaining that now software is released based on different occasions not when it is ready for the next version. In our case, we missed the birthday date, but we have features and fixes!]

Best,
Vaclav


_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 3:34 AM Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
...
>> #3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
>> #3586 Add XY location to grass command interface
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3585
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3586
>>
>
> I fixed and closed these two last week.

Thanks a lot!

> #3348 or other bugs or annoyances don't prevent us from branching as they don't involve large code changes
> which would make subsequent backports impossible nor they are API changes which could lead to bad legacy APIs or API breaks.

ok.

> There are no tickets marked as blocker or critical and there is only 8 defect tickets.

Right.

The list of non-critical open tickets is here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=7.6.1&milestone=7.6.0&group=type&order=priority

Any objections to create the releasebranch_7_6 in the next few days?

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Martin Landa
Hi,

so 25. 8. 2018 v 18:27 odesílatel Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> napsal:
> Any objections to create the releasebranch_7_6 in the next few days?

strong +1 for creating 7.6 branch in the next days. I have updated
time schedule accordingly [1].

Do you know about experimental/broken features which should be removed
from releasebranch_7_6 to avoid releasing them in GRASS 7.6.0?

And would be also nice to merge after branching into trunk
experimental Python3 support [2] :-)

Ma

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.6.0
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2018/FullSupportPython3

--
Martin Landa
http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa
http://gismentors.cz/mentors/landa
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Michael Barton
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to get a map out of GRASS on the Mac.

Michael

_________________________________
 
C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University
 
voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

On 8/25/18, 10:27 AM, "grass-dev on behalf of [hidden email]" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:27:10 +0200
    From: Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
    To: Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]>
    Cc: GRASS developers list <[hidden email]>
    Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0
    Message-ID:
    <[hidden email]>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
   
    On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 3:34 AM Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>>On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
    ...
    >>#3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
    >>#3586 Add XY location to grass command interface
    >>
    >>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3585&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=SCtxjKNgy2zisLOhfRaNdXQykGk4jdEbVaAmAuCep08&e=
    >>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3586&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=pgrRu-hIh8Xiix7pxiWouZSr1oD_5XdadYNLtUDSlJI&e=
    >>
    >
    >I fixed and closed these two last week.
   
    Thanks a lot!
   
    >#3348 or other bugs or annoyances don't prevent us from branching as they don't involve large code changes
    >which would make subsequent backports impossible nor they are API changes which could lead to bad legacy APIs or API breaks.
   
    ok.
   
    >There are no tickets marked as blocker or critical and there is only 8 defect tickets.
   
    Right.
   
    The list of non-critical open tickets is here:
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_query-3Fstatus-3Dnew-26status-3Dassigned-26status-3Dreopened-26milestone-3D7.6.1-26milestone-3D7.6.0-26group-3Dtype-26order-3Dpriority&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=XyKKXzG8kbryv9oT_omyxXZTrsqu3WqnEnmiQE55Ui4&e=
   
    Any objections to create the releasebranch_7_6 in the next few days?
   
    Markus
   
   
    ------------------------------
   
    Subject: Digest Footer
   
    _______________________________________________
    grass-dev mailing list
    [hidden email]
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.osgeo.org_mailman_listinfo_grass-2Ddev&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=hgbHSVfjg2Dc5h9Pz6rIusvWbxIi7BpDszrHMRKFPb4&e=
   
    ------------------------------
   
    End of grass-dev Digest, Vol 150, Issue 42
    ******************************************
   
   

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to get a map out of GRASS on the Mac

.... someone will have to look into the code...

BTW: I was referring to create the new branch, not to the release of
7.6.0 itself.

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Michael Barton
Ok. Just responding to the discussion of no blockers

Michael Barton
School of Human Evolution &Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

...Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 26, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to get a map out of GRASS on the Mac
>
> .... someone will have to look into the code...
>
> BTW: I was referring to create the new branch, not to the release of
> 7.6.0 itself.
>
> Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Anna Petrášová
In reply to this post by Michael Barton


On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to get a map out of GRASS on the Mac.

Some of these may be fixed in the patch provided by Sanjeet as part of GSoC when she was working on wxPython4 compatibility. So I would first put her changes to trunk (once we create the new branch) and then backport selected fixes.

Anna


Michael

_________________________________

C. Michael Barton
Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

On 8/25/18, 10:27 AM, "grass-dev on behalf of [hidden email]" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:27:10 +0200
    From: Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>
    To: Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]>
    Cc: GRASS developers list <[hidden email]>
    Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0
    Message-ID:
        <[hidden email]>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

    On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 3:34 AM Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM, Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>>On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
    ...
    >>#3585 Don't require -c for --tmp-location
    >>#3586 Add XY location to grass command interface
    >>
    >>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3585&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=SCtxjKNgy2zisLOhfRaNdXQykGk4jdEbVaAmAuCep08&e=
    >>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_ticket_3586&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=pgrRu-hIh8Xiix7pxiWouZSr1oD_5XdadYNLtUDSlJI&e=
    >>
    >
    >I fixed and closed these two last week.

    Thanks a lot!

    >#3348 or other bugs or annoyances don't prevent us from branching as they don't involve large code changes
    >which would make subsequent backports impossible nor they are API changes which could lead to bad legacy APIs or API breaks.

    ok.

    >There are no tickets marked as blocker or critical and there is only 8 defect tickets.

    Right.

    The list of non-critical open tickets is here:
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__trac.osgeo.org_grass_query-3Fstatus-3Dnew-26status-3Dassigned-26status-3Dreopened-26milestone-3D7.6.1-26milestone-3D7.6.0-26group-3Dtype-26order-3Dpriority&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=XyKKXzG8kbryv9oT_omyxXZTrsqu3WqnEnmiQE55Ui4&e=

    Any objections to create the releasebranch_7_6 in the next few days?

    Markus


    ------------------------------

    Subject: Digest Footer

    _______________________________________________
    grass-dev mailing list
    [hidden email]
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.osgeo.org_mailman_listinfo_grass-2Ddev&d=DwIGaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=lk-7X7CEOMDN8GaGVhiDsuO6gEp1wbG6nfT1XEEEtR0&m=oN-DfL-iDwaWdfuOt3P_XNLDByBhlfyYaRMbLHNYY5U&s=hgbHSVfjg2Dc5h9Pz6rIusvWbxIi7BpDszrHMRKFPb4&e=

    ------------------------------

    End of grass-dev Digest, Vol 150, Issue 42
    ******************************************



_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev

_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Markus Neteler
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:35 AM Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to
>> get a map out of GRASS on the Mac.
>
> Some of these may be fixed in the patch provided by Sanjeet as part of GSoC when she was
> working on wxPython4 compatibility. So I would first put her changes to trunk

Can you please point us to the latest patch?

> (once we create the new branch) and then backport selected fixes.

I was thinking about it again: we are yet one of the few packages
requiring Python2. What if some of us try the Python3 patch and give
feedback (of course an ideal thing for a git branch...)?
And then, if nothing dramatic goes wrong, we merge it prior to
creating the relbranch76?

Reflecting about our common release frequency I fear that we end up
with 7.8 in the (far) future to make GRASS GIS ready for Python3.

So: I volunteer to patch locally and test etc. the new Python3 support.

Opinions?

Markus
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

Moritz Lennert


Am 27. August 2018 07:52:22 MESZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

>On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:35 AM Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Michael Barton
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all
>versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to
>>> get a map out of GRASS on the Mac.
>>
>> Some of these may be fixed in the patch provided by Sanjeet as part
>of GSoC when she was
>> working on wxPython4 compatibility. So I would first put her changes
>to trunk
>
>Can you please point us to the latest patch?
>
>> (once we create the new branch) and then backport selected fixes.
>
>I was thinking about it again: we are yet one of the few packages
>requiring Python2. What if some of us try the Python3 patch and give
>feedback (of course an ideal thing for a git branch...)?
>And then, if nothing dramatic goes wrong, we merge it prior to
>creating the relbranch76?
>
>Reflecting about our common release frequency I fear that we end up
>with 7.8 in the (far) future to make GRASS GIS ready for Python3.
>
>So: I volunteer to patch locally and test etc. the new Python3 support.
>
>Opinions?

+1

I think Python 3 support should be a must nowadays.

I didn't follow Sanjeet's GSoC work very closely. How far are we in theory with Python 3 support with her patches ?

I also volunteer to test.

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
SBL
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [release planning] 7.6.0

SBL
Hi,

From the final report it seems that there are still some open issues, esp. with pygrass and the temporal library (because of ctypes):
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2018/FullSupportPython3#Week13-FinalReport

Cheers
Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: grass-dev <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Moritz Lennert
Sent: mandag 27. august 2018 07:59
To: [hidden email]; Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>; GRASS developers list <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] [release planning] 7.6.0



Am 27. August 2018 07:52:22 MESZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

>On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:35 AM Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Michael Barton
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Blockers #3617 and #3621 apply to 7.6 as well as 7.4. Broken in all
>versions 7.4.1 on up. No way to
>>> get a map out of GRASS on the Mac.
>>
>> Some of these may be fixed in the patch provided by Sanjeet as part
>of GSoC when she was
>> working on wxPython4 compatibility. So I would first put her changes
>to trunk
>
>Can you please point us to the latest patch?
>
>> (once we create the new branch) and then backport selected fixes.
>
>I was thinking about it again: we are yet one of the few packages
>requiring Python2. What if some of us try the Python3 patch and give
>feedback (of course an ideal thing for a git branch...)?
>And then, if nothing dramatic goes wrong, we merge it prior to creating
>the relbranch76?
>
>Reflecting about our common release frequency I fear that we end up
>with 7.8 in the (far) future to make GRASS GIS ready for Python3.
>
>So: I volunteer to patch locally and test etc. the new Python3 support.
>
>Opinions?

+1

I think Python 3 support should be a must nowadays.

I didn't follow Sanjeet's GSoC work very closely. How far are we in theory with Python 3 support with her patches ?

I also volunteer to test.

Moritz
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
_______________________________________________
grass-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-dev
123