recognizing projects that are not incubating

recognizing projects that are not incubating

jody.garnett
I think we have an easy way to recognize projects that are not interested in incubation.

The following projects have not updated their "incubation status" page to the "graduation checklist". Kind of means no progress/interest since since the document was released at least five years ago:
  • istSOS Incubation Status - last updated in 2016 to change mentor to Jeff McKenna
  • MetaCRS Incubation Status - Individual projects can enter the "OSGeo community" program, and enter incubation as their interest. In practice MetaCRS itself is operating as an initiative gathering up interested projects for the occasional collaboration?
  • Oskari Incubation Status - last edited 2017
  • TEAM Engine - it is not on the wiki but I Luis was working on a checklist during the FOSS4GNA sprint?
I would like to propose these projects be dropped from the incubation program, they can reapply when they are interested in working towards graduation.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: recognizing projects that are not incubating

Jo Cook
Agreed, but I'm wondering if we should reach out to them to let them
know this is happening? It might prompt some action on their part.

Jo

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we have an easy way to recognize projects that are not interested in incubation.
>
> The following projects have not updated their "incubation status" page to the "graduation checklist". Kind of means no progress/interest since since the document was released at least five years ago:
>
> istSOS Incubation Status - last updated in 2016 to change mentor to Jeff McKenna
> MetaCRS Incubation Status - Individual projects can enter the "OSGeo community" program, and enter incubation as their interest. In practice MetaCRS itself is operating as an initiative gathering up interested projects for the occasional collaboration?
> Oskari Incubation Status - last edited 2017
> TEAM Engine - it is not on the wiki but I Luis was working on a checklist during the FOSS4GNA sprint?
>
> I would like to propose these projects be dropped from the incubation program, they can reapply when they are interested in working towards graduation.
> --
> Jody Garnett

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: recognizing projects that are not incubating

jody.garnett
I would be happy to help you fill in the checklist, there is a copy of it as both as both a PDF and Markdown.

I also note that the nature of community activity has changed in the last ten years, now that we have engineers who have always open source their expectations with respect to participation (or lack of participation) are being challenging.

Let’s fill in the checklist, and we can discuss if the level of community involvement is appropriate.

This may also be a chance to reach out to your community that you do have (the folks you mentioned) and explain you are willing to be more open (less private email) and expect their increased involvement. Review the the social context associated with your project and do a bit of a “reset” of expectations on both sides.

It may seem like a bit of overhead (it is) but both parties are paid back in a safer project.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 4:06 AM Mäkinen Sami (MML) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I’m from the Oskari team and we are still interested in graduating. The problem is we don’t really know what we can do to take the next step/graduate. The last messages about the incubation for our project as I gathered was that people who posted on this list seemed happy with how we are handling things but our mentor Arnulf pointed out that there doesn’t seem to be too much of a visible community activity around the project. We have the mailing list which we are urging people to use instead of private emails, we have companies that are doing business using Oskari here in Finland, we have Iceland who has adopted Oskari as their geoportal, we have Gitter where people occasionally drop by to ask something in addition to GitHub issues. I agree that outside of the core development there’s not too much external communication or pull requests coming in and I don’t know the specifics how to decide if it’s enough to justify graduating. I think we would be happy to be a community project as well if being a “full member” is not justified.

Best regards,

Sami Mäkinen

Re: recognizing projects that are not incubating

Massimiliano Cannata
Dear Jody and all,
I'd like to recall that istSOS has successfully applied to OSGeo for funds  to support an incubation sprint this year.
Since, in my view, only few details are to be fixed for incubation we'd like to fulfill all of them during one week meeting this summer 2019.
Also, We would like to have a support during this sprint from an available mentor to drive us in closing the application, so if anyone is interested please let us know.

Thanks for your solicitation

Maxi

Il giorno mer 15 mag 2019 alle ore 15:49 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

Re: recognizing projects that are not incubating

jody.garnett
That is great news about istSOS, my understanding of the budget is:
- the incubation committee has a fair bit of budget to support projects doing specific activities (such as an incubation sprint)
- the osgeo community program has a budget to share between projects

Since istSOS has not graduated yet you will need to work through the board and the incubation list. When you are ready to plan your event please ask on this list and we can make a motion.

With respect to this email thread, can you create a checklist (even if it is not completely filled in yet) so we have an idea of how much work remains for the project. You can find the template here.
--
Jody Garnett