raster layers missing default style

GeoServer - User mailing list

Hi List,

I’ve had an intermittent error with a few of my WMS services.  They are all reading GeoTIFF and JPG from disk and return a service exception like this

<ServiceException>

      javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: ap_xyz1988bw

org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: ap_xyz1988bw

Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: ap_xyz1988bw

Layer ap_xyz1988bw has no default style

</ServiceException>

And

<ServiceException>

  javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: dem_lidar1mdsm_brechin_hs

org.geoserver.platform.ServiceException: Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: dem_lidar1mdsm_brechin_hs

Error occurred trying to write out metadata for layer: dem_lidar1mdsm_brechin_hs

Layer dem_lidar1mdsm_brechin_hs has no default style

</ServiceException>

In both cases above I have a workspace defined for each with the store pointing at a directory of GeoTIFF images (with world files, prj files, stats). The layer is set up to use the default raster style shipped with Geoserver.  The problem occurs intermittently. I get the error messages above. I log in to the Geoserver and reset the style and save the layer.  The service then works as expected until, for some reason, it all happens again.  Occasionally I get a timeout error when trying to save the layer and then a message to tell me the “server is currently busy. Please wait…”

Why would a defined layer lose its style?

I’m running Geoserver 2.11.2 with Tomcat 8 and Java 8 on Windows Server 2012

Thanks in advance

Ross

This message is strictly confidential. If you have received this in error, please inform the sender and remove it from your system. If received in error you may not copy, print, forward or use it or any attachment in any way. This message is not capable of creating a legal contract or a binding representation and does not represent the views of Angus Council. Emails may be monitored for security and network management reasons. Messages containing inappropriate content may be intercepted. Angus Council does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient system or data on it by this message or any attachment.

Re: raster layers missing default style

geowolf
Hi,
you're not the first to report this issue, but it does not happen often either, and nobody has provided a way to replicate the problem so far.
We are in the dark, as long as we don't know how to make it happen, nobody will be able to fix it. Pity, having a way to make it happen
would turn this into a suitable ticket for the monthly bug fix code sprint.
If anyone finds a way to make this happen, please let us know.

Cheers
Andrea