raster colors

nishith datta-2
hi all,
I have loaded a dem raster (.tif) and it displays as a grayscale image by default.
I want to change the symbology i.e I wish to change it to a different color ramp of my choice. What I see is only  a pseudo color and Freak out options..... I donot like them !
Can I change it to some other color ramp of my choice (ArcGIS style) and how to do that ?
thanks
nishith

Re: raster colors

Tim Sutton
Hi

You have two options:

1) Import your data into GRASS using the GRASS toolbox and assign a
palette using GRASS tools

2) Wait for the qgis raster branch to be merged in (probably in
0.9.2). If you would like an early preview of raster branch you can
try one of our test builds at:

http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/testbuilds/

But note that the windows msvc test build there does not yet have
GRASS, python or postgres support bundled.

Regards

Tim

2007/11/15, nishith datta <[hidden email]>:

> hi all,
> I have loaded a dem raster (.tif) and it displays as a grayscale image by
> default.
> I want to change the symbology i.e I wish to change it to a different color
> ramp of my choice. What I see is only  a pseudo color and Freak out
> options..... I donot like them !
> Can I change it to some other color ramp of my choice (ArcGIS style) and how
> to do that ?
> thanks
> nishith

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: raster colors

Agustin Lobo-2
Just adding that the first option is
not really very convenient, actually the planned complete merging of
the raster branch  for 0.9.2 is eagerly awaited
for some of us precisely to improve visualization
of grass layers. But things have to proceed
following the due steps and we have to be
patient, otherwise the project would become disorganized.

Agus

Tim Sutton escribió:

> Hi
>
> You have two options:
>
> 1) Import your data into GRASS using the GRASS toolbox and assign a
> palette using GRASS tools
>
> 2) Wait for the qgis raster branch to be merged in (probably in
> 0.9.2). If you would like an early preview of raster branch you can
> try one of our test builds at:
>
> http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/testbuilds/
>
> But note that the windows msvc test build there does not yet have
> GRASS, python or postgres support bundled.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> 2007/11/15, nishith datta <[hidden email]>:
>> hi all,
>> I have loaded a dem raster (.tif) and it displays as a grayscale image by
>> default.
>> I want to change the symbology i.e I wish to change it to a different color
>> ramp of my choice. What I see is only  a pseudo color and Freak out
>> options..... I donot like them !
>> Can I change it to some other color ramp of my choice (ArcGIS style) and how
>> to do that ?
>> thanks
>> nishith

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410