random catchup on sponsorship

jody.garnett
Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging on our website.

With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)

http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html

One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500 USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?

Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects, initiatives) also meets this need.

One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source landing page (example, exampleexample, example).
--
Jody Garnett

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Eli Adam
Hi Jody and all,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
> on our website.
>
> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)

Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
good.

> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>
> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?

Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.

> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
> initiatives) also meets this need.

If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
OSGeo projects.

> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
> landing page (example, example, example, example).

I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.

My thoughts, Eli

> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
+1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Jody and all,
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
>> on our website.
>>
>> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)
>
> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
> good.
>

>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>
>> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
>> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
>> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?
>
> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.
>

>> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
>> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
>> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
>> initiatives) also meets this need.
>
> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>
> My thoughts, Eli
>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

jody.garnett
I think it is too late for this year Jeroen, do you think the suggestion on "linking to open source participation page" would be effective policy change for next year?

--
Jody Garnett

On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572" value="+31681286572">+31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Jody and all,
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
>> on our website.
>>
>> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)
>
> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
> good.
>

>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>
>> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
>> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
>> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?
>
> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.
>

>> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
>> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
>> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
>> initiatives) also meets this need.
>
> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>
> My thoughts, Eli
>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

jody.garnett
We could also choose to just list silver and above sponsors in rotation on our main page?

--
> [...]

> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.

David Percy
I like Eli's suggestion to refund the donations and remove the unrelated sponsors.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
We could also choose to just list silver and above sponsors in rotation on our main page?

--
Jody Garnett

On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572" value="+31681286572" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Jody and all,
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
>> on our website.
>>
>> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)
>
> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
> good.
>

>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>
>> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
>> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
>> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?
>
> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.
>

>> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
>> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
>> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
>> initiatives) also meets this need.
>
> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>
> My thoughts, Eli
>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler
-GIS Instructor
Portland State University
-gisgeek.pdx.edu
-geology.pdx.edu

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Alex Mandel-2
Open Source and/or geospatial.

We can't rule out that some companies/orgs are users of OSGeo projects
internally. Any business that maps their customers potentially is a sponsor.

So it seems some sort of questionnaire (1-4 question), asking about the
above uses could help us weed out sponsors that aren't relevant. Who is
going to be tasked with reviewing sponsors?

Example questions:
1. Why do you want to sponsor OSGeo?
2. What open source geospatial projects do you use?
3. What open source geospatial projects do you contribute to?
etc...

Example scenario, what if some large company sponsors us, but then makes
a public statement that goes against our Code of Conduct with
racist/sexists/etc... remarks. Do we drop them as a sponsor? As per some
voting mechanism?

+1 on this rule needs to not be retro-active but apply to future new and
renewals.

+1 on preference/suggestion for link to company being their page about
their open source and/or geospatial usage.

Thanks,
Alex

On 06/24/2016 10:25 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> I think it is too late for this year Jeroen, do you think the suggestion on
> "linking to open source participation page" would be effective policy
> change for next year?
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed
>> seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
>> Cheers,
>> Jeroen
>>
>> GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on
>> GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for
>> details.
>> _________________________
>> Jeroen Ticheler
>> GeoCat bv
>> Veenderweg 13
>> 6721 WD Bennekom
>> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
>> http://geocat.net
>>
>>> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het
>> volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Hi Jody and all,

>> messaging

>> (yay!)
>>>
>>> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
>>> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
>>> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
>>> good.

>> $500
>>>
>>> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
>>> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
>>> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
>>> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
>>> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.

>> business
>> The
>>>
>>> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
>>> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
>>> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
>>> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
>>> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
>>> OSGeo projects.

>> source
>>>
>>> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
>>> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
>>> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
>>> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
>>> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
>>> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
>>> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
>>> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>>>
>>> My thoughts, Eli

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Cameron Shorter

Re Featured Sponsor:

I think it a good idea for encouraging more sponsors. I'm open to showing all sponsors on rotation on the web page, weighted by how much the sponsor pays.

A Platinum sponsor pays 40 times more than a Bronze sponsor, and so should get at least 40 times more imprints. (Probably 80 times more imprints as a sweetener).

With regards to who we select as sponsors. My first reaction is to suggest that any company prepared to pay OSGeo money should be allowed to sponsor. (That process should be reasonably self selecting). However, Eli makes good points about caring about a Sponor's business.

I'd be inclined to work on a principle of ensuring sponsors "Do no evil (to OSGeo's reputation)". If a software hosting company which doesn't seem to be obviously using much OSGeo Software, but still wants to sponsor us, that should be ok.

So I'd suggest Eli's selection criteria for OSGeo sponsors could be couched as "Expectations of OSGeo sponsors":

We are aware that OSGeo sponsorship effects the reputation of both the sponsor and OSGeo, usually in a positive way. That is why you are considering sponsorship. In order to ensure the relationship is a positive one, we have the following expectations of our sponsors: ...

* Add in "do no evil" type points

On 25/06/2016 3:30 AM, David Percy wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572" value="+31681286572" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Jody and all,
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
>> on our website.
>>
>> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)
>
> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
> good.
>

>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>
>> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
>> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
>> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?
>
> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.
>

>> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
>> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
>> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
>> initiatives) also meets this need.
>
> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>
> My thoughts, Eli
>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager
-Web Map Wrangler
-GIS Instructor
Portland State University
-gisgeek.pdx.edu
-geology.pdx.edu

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Marc Vloemans-3
Agree with remove/refund the unrelated sponsors.
For smaller businesses I would suggest as the cheap and cheerful sponsor level: an update of present service providers listing or such: minimum bronze level and included anyway in silver and gold packages.
In our mailings we could put a line at the bottom 'with the gracious support of our sponsors + link' or other place.

I do not see why a community of individual volunteers should highlight commercial service providers for free.

Vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 24 jun. 2016 om 21:00 heeft [hidden email] het volgende geschreven:
>
> Send Marketing mailing list submissions to
>    [hidden email]

>    http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    [hidden email]

>    [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Marketing digest..."
>

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (David Percy)
>   2. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (Alex M)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:30:36 -0700
> From: David Percy <[hidden email]>
> To: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>, OSGeo Marketing
>    <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Marketing] random catchup on sponsorship
>
> I like Eli's suggestion to refund the donations and remove the unrelated
> sponsors.
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We could also choose to just list silver and above sponsors in rotation on
>> our main page?
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors
>>> listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing
>>> for OSGeo.
>>> Cheers,
> [...]
> their open source and/or geospatial usage.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
>> On 06/24/2016 10:25 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>> I think it is too late for this year Jeroen, do you think the suggestion on
>> "linking to open source participation page" would be effective policy
>> change for next year?
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed
>>> seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeroen
>>>
>>> GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on

Maybe we can have a requirement for sponsor levels that the maximum number of employees is x (one in case of bronze). This would prevent a large company to advertise at virtually no cost. I know quite some organizations that do this (GSDI and OGC for instance force a minimum membership fee depending on size and economic region).
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 24 jun. 2016 om 19:25 heeft Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]

> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.

Gert-Jan

Jeroen, Jody, others,

Keep in mind that in several companies only a part is involved in geospatial (for instance: my employer Ordina has 3000 employees, of which 35 are in the Geospatial units (plus another 50 or so in VR/Augmented Reality, Business Intelligence and other directly geospatial departments.

Regards,

Gert-Jan

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572">+31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

> Op 23 jun. 2016 om 21:11 heeft Eli Adam <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi Jody and all,
>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Question for the marketing committee, since it is a bit about the messaging
>> on our website.
>>
>> With a revised sponsorship approach we are collecting more sponsors (yay!)
>
> Great, good work.  If we have stable revenue from something other than
> FOSS4G, that makes it easier to take different approaches with the
> conference.  And additional diversified foundation revenue is always
> good.
>

>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsors.html
>>
>> One surprise this year is collecting bronze sponsors (this was at the $500
>> USD level) that are not directly from our industry. Is this something we
>> should care about from a marketing/branding perspective?
>
> Yes, we should care.  Our focus is open source geospatial software;
> we're not an advertising platform.  The reason that we are getting
> unrelated sponsors is that we are selling a really good page rank at a
> very low price.  I think that other OSGeo project have had to decline
> sponsorships from adult or other non-related websites.
>

>> Background: The original intension here was to have a way for small business
>> to be represented in our organization by offering a lower price point. The
>> cumulative sponsorship (combining support of OSGeo events, projects,
>> initiatives) also meets this need.
>
> If we raised our prices so that bronze sponsorship was no longer an
> incredibly good deal for the page rank, then this would end.  (i.e. We
> won't ever have an over abundance of unrelated platinum sponsors.)
> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.
>
> My thoughts, Eli
>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett

Re: random catchup on sponsorship

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Sure Gert Jan, I'm not talking millions here ;-) And 35 people is a significant number of people, justifying a significant minimum required sponsorship level. With significant I mean something way higher than 500$ per year.
Cheers,
Jeroen

GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 25 jun. 2016 om 12:21 heeft Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]

> However, the goal is to raise sponsorship and a reasonable entry point
> for small businesses which often make substantial contributions to
> OSGeo projects.
>

>> One idea (for next year) is to ask sponsors for a link to their open source
>> landing page (example, example, example, example).
>
> I think that we should have a requirement that sponsors be at least
> related to the geospatial industry.  This requirement can easily be
> applied with just a bit of thought.  If denied sponsors don't like
> their denial, they can appeal to the Board and make their case that
> they are geospatially related.  I would be in favor of returning those
> unrelated sponsors' money and removing them.  At least no more
> unrelated sponsors and no option for renewal for the existing
> unrelated sponsors if we don't refund and remove.

If we review the sponsorship page it does not say anything about listing on the main page (only the sponsorship page) - so I am am happy to be guided by the website committee on this one.

I am uncomfortable changing sponsorship policies midstream (since we only just updated them). I would like to collect experience this year and use it to update policies for 2017.  Thus far our sponsorship opportunity does not seem to be benefiting many organizations (even those who could be listed with no additional cost due to their sponsorship of OSGeo events).

I expect that cleaning up the services providers listing to prioritize based on project participation would be of more benefit.

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 June 2016 at 00:31, Marc Vloemans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agree with remove/refund the unrelated sponsors.
For smaller businesses I would suggest as the cheap and cheerful sponsor level: an update of present service providers listing or such: minimum bronze level and included anyway in silver and gold packages.
In our mailings we could put a line at the bottom 'with the gracious support of our sponsors + link' or other place.

I do not see why a community of individual volunteers should highlight commercial service providers for free.

Vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 24 jun. 2016 om 21:00 heeft [hidden email] het volgende geschreven:
>
> Send Marketing mailing list submissions to
>    [hidden email]

>    http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    [hidden email]

>    [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Marketing digest..."
>

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (David Percy)
>   2. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (Alex M)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:30:36 -0700
> From: David Percy <[hidden email]>
> To: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>, OSGeo Marketing
>    <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Marketing] random catchup on sponsorship
>
> I like Eli's suggestion to refund the donations and remove the unrelated
> sponsors.
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We could also choose to just list silver and above sponsors in rotation on
>> our main page?
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors
>>> listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing
>>> for OSGeo.
>>> Cheers,
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors listed
>>> seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing for OSGeo.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeroen
>>>
>>> GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on
>>> GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for
>>> details.
>>> _________________________
>>> Jeroen Ticheler
>>> GeoCat bv
>>> Veenderweg 13
>>> 6721 WD Bennekom
>>> Tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572" value="+31681286572">+31 (0)6 81286572

Here is initial reply from Ian on the website committee:

Also - not sure when Astun was added, but looks like they are missing from
both the translated versions of the sponsor page and from the logo rotation.
Bronze sponsors could be excluded, or they could appear less frequently if
someone can decide on a suitable ratio for the various sponsorship levels.

It looks like we have some flexibility to work with.

--
Jody Garnett

On 23 June 2016 at 11:39, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jody et al,

I agree with taking this year to assess and learn and regroup.
For practical reasons ( available time vs interest in the topic) and because it makes sense.
Cheers Marc

If we review the sponsorship page it does not say anything about listing on the main page (only the sponsorship page) - so I am am happy to be guided by the website committee on this one.

I am uncomfortable changing sponsorship policies midstream (since we only just updated them). I would like to collect experience this year and use it to update policies for 2017.  Thus far our sponsorship opportunity does not seem to be benefiting many organizations (even those who could be listed with no additional cost due to their sponsorship of OSGeo events).

I expect that cleaning up the services providers listing to prioritize based on project participation would be of more benefit.

--
Jody Garnett

On 25 June 2016 at 00:31, Marc Vloemans <[hidden email]> wrote:
Agree with remove/refund the unrelated sponsors.
For smaller businesses I would suggest as the cheap and cheerful sponsor level: an update of present service providers listing or such: minimum bronze level and included anyway in silver and gold packages.
In our mailings we could put a line at the bottom 'with the gracious support of our sponsors + link' or other place.

I do not see why a community of individual volunteers should highlight commercial service providers for free.

Vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 24 jun. 2016 om 21:00 heeft [hidden email] het volgende geschreven:
>
> Send Marketing mailing list submissions to
>    [hidden email]

>    http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    [hidden email]

>    [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Marketing digest..."
>

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (David Percy)
>   2. Re: random catchup on sponsorship (Alex M)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 10:30:36 -0700
> From: David Percy <[hidden email]>
> To: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>, OSGeo Marketing
>    <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Marketing] random catchup on sponsorship
>
> I like Eli's suggestion to refund the donations and remove the unrelated
> sponsors.
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We could also choose to just list silver and above sponsors in rotation on
>> our main page?
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On 24 June 2016 at 02:00, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on not accepting unrelated sponsors. The current Bronze sponsors
>>> listed seem to be advertising totally different stuff. No good marketing
>>> for OSGeo.
>>> Cheers,