r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

roberto caselli
Hello,
I'm Roberto, a student of computer science. I'm using GRASS GIS 6.2.3 and I need to use the r.sim.water module with some sample data (rainfall excess raster data file, infiltration excess raster file, Manning n raster file)

 Can I use this module with the spearfish data I downloaded from the Grass Site? Which raster files in Spearfish are useful for r.sim.water?

Thank you,
Roberto

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

Markus Neteler
On Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM, roberto caselli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm Roberto, a student of computer science. I'm using GRASS GIS 6.2.3 and I
> need to use the r.sim.water module with some sample data (rainfall excess
> raster data file, infiltration excess raster file, Manning n raster file)
>
>  Can I use this module with the spearfish data I downloaded from the Grass
> Site? Which raster files in Spearfish are useful for r.sim.water?

In the source code is a script to test it. You can download it also
from here:

 http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh

(see page bottom for plain text download)

Markus

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

roberto caselli
Thank you for the support! I tested that script on this environment (notebook Acer Travelmate, Windows Vista Basic, Grass 6.2.3 and Cygwin downloaded here: http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5).
The execution of that script crashed with this message:
"Running MAY 10  version
 ./spearfish.sh : line 32 : 1668 Segmentation Fault (core dumped) "

 What does it mean?

I also tryed the r.sim.water on Grass 6.2.2 on Linux Xubuntu 7.10 but I received this message from the bash: KILLED.

I hope you can help me to fix these problems.
Thank you guys,
Roberto

Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM, roberto caselli wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm Roberto, a student of computer science. I'm using GRASS GIS 6.2.3 and I
> need to use the r.sim.water module with some sample data (rainfall excess
> raster data file, infiltration excess raster file, Manning n raster file)
>
> Can I use this module with the spearfish data I downloaded from the Grass
> Site? Which raster files in Spearfish are useful for r.sim.water?

In the source code is a script to test it. You can download it also
from here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh

(see page bottom for plain text download)

Markus

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

Markus Neteler
Can you please post the output of

g.region -p?

Posibly your resolution is too high and memory doesn't
suffice...

Markus

On Feb 11, 2008 1:10 PM, roberto caselli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the support! I tested that script on this environment
> (notebook Acer Travelmate, Windows Vista Basic, Grass 6.2.3 and Cygwin
> downloaded here: http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5).
> The execution of that script crashed with this message:
> "Running MAY 10  version
>  ./spearfish.sh : line 32 : 1668 Segmentation Fault (core dumped) "
>
>  What does it mean?
>
> I also tryed the r.sim.water on Grass 6.2.2 on Linux Xubuntu 7.10 but I
> received this message from the bash: KILLED.
>
> I hope you can help me to fix these problems.
> Thank you guys,
> Roberto
>

> Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>  On Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM, roberto caselli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm Roberto, a student of computer science. I'm using GRASS GIS 6.2.3 and
> > need to use the r.sim.water module with some sample data (rainfall excess
> > raster data file, infiltration excess raster file, Manning n raster file)
> >
> > Can I use this module with the spearfish data I downloaded from the Grass
> > Site? Which raster files in Spearfish are useful for r.sim.water?
>
> In the source code is a script to test it. You can download it also
> from here:
>

> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh
>
> (see page bottom for plain text download)
>
> Markus

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/
http://www.grassbook.org/

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

roberto caselli
projection: 1(UTM)
zone: 13
datum: nad27
ellipsoid: clark66
north: 4928000
south: 4914020
west: 590010
east: 609000
nsres: 30
ewres: 30
rows: 466
cols: 633
cells: 294978

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:48:23 +0100
From: "Markus Neteler" <neteler@...>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data
To: "GRASS user list" <grass-user@...>

On Feb 11, 2008 1:10 PM, roberto caselli <roberto.caselli@...>
wrote:
> Thank you for the support! I tested that script on this environment
> (notebook Acer Travelmate, Windows Vista Basic, Grass 6.2.3 and
Cygwin
> downloaded here: http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5).
> The execution of that script crashed with this message:
> "Running MAY 10 version
> ./spearfish.sh : line 32 : 1668 Segmentation Fault (core dumped) "
>
> What does it mean?
>
> I also tryed the r.sim.water on Grass 6.2.2 on Linux Xubuntu 7.10 but

> received this message from the bash: KILLED.
>
> I hope you can help me to fix these problems.
> Thank you guys,
> Roberto
>

> Markus Neteler <neteler@...> ha scritto:
>
> On Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM, roberto caselli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm Roberto, a student of computer science. I'm using GRASS GIS
6.2.3 and
> > need to use the r.sim.water module with some sample data (rainfall
excess
> > raster data file, infiltration excess raster file, Manning n raster
file)

> > Can I use this module with the spearfish data I downloaded from the
Grass
> > Site? Which raster files in Spearfish are useful for r.sim.water?
>
> In the source code is a script to test it. You can download it also
> from here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh

> (see page bottom for plain text download)
>
> Markus

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/
http://www.grassbook.org/

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

Markus Neteler
Hi,

I made a test, it works (Linux box):

GRASS 6.3.svn (spearfish60):~/grass63 > sh raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh
projection: 1 (UTM)
cells:      294978
Preparing input maps...
Percent complete:
 100%
Creating support files...
Elevation products for mapset [neteler] in [spearfish60]
E-W SLOPE [elevation.dem_dx] COMPLETE
N-S SLOPE [elevation.dem_dy] COMPLETE
 100%
 100%
 100%
r.sim.water --o elevin=elevation.dem dxin=elevation.dem_dx
dyin=elevation.dem_dy       rain=elevation.dem_rain
manin=elevation.dem_manin infil=elevation.dem_infil
depth=elevation.dem_depth disch=elevation.dem_disch
err=elevation.dem_err
Running MAY 10 version

zmin,zmax 1066.000000 1840.000000
simean,vmean,chmean,deltap,deltaw 0.000001 8.428620 19.670823 0.889825
1000000000000.000000
MITER, timec 0 4.000000
 100%
min=0.000155
max=0.316380
min=0.000000
max=25.006544
min=0.000155
max=0.316380
Written:
 Output water depth raster file:     elevation.dem_depth
 Output water discharge raster file: elevation.dem_disch
 Output simulation error raster file: elevation.dem_err

GRASS 6.3.svn (spearfish60):~/grass63 >

Since you used GRASS6.2.3, maybe give 6.3 a try?
Possibly some bugfixes have not been backported.

Markus

Re: r.sim.water and Spearfish60 sample data

hamish-2
Markus Neteler wrote:

> I made a test, it works (Linux box):
>
> GRASS 6.3.svn (spearfish60):~/grass63 > sh
> raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh
> projection: 1 (UTM)
> cells:      294978
> Preparing input maps...
> Percent complete:
>  100%
> Creating support files...
> Elevation products for mapset [neteler] in [spearfish60]
> E-W SLOPE [elevation.dem_dx] COMPLETE
> N-S SLOPE [elevation.dem_dy] COMPLETE
>  100%
>  100%
>  100%
> r.sim.water --o elevin=elevation.dem dxin=elevation.dem_dx
> dyin=elevation.dem_dy       rain=elevation.dem_rain
> manin=elevation.dem_manin infil=elevation.dem_infil
> depth=elevation.dem_depth disch=elevation.dem_disch
> err=elevation.dem_err
> Running MAY 10 version
>
> zmin,zmax 1066.000000 1840.000000
> simean,vmean,chmean,deltap,deltaw 0.000001 8.428620 19.670823
> 0.889825
> 1000000000000.000000
> MITER, timec 0 4.000000
>  100%
> min=0.000155
> max=0.316380
> min=0.000000
> max=25.006544
> min=0.000155
> max=0.316380
> Written:
>  Output water depth raster file:     elevation.dem_depth
>  Output water discharge raster file: elevation.dem_disch
>  Output simulation error raster file: elevation.dem_err
>
> GRASS 6.3.svn (spearfish60):~/grass63 >
>
> Since you used GRASS6.2.3, maybe give 6.3 a try?
> Possibly some bugfixes have not been backported.

I just tried the raster/simwe/r.sim.water/spearfish.sh script from
GRASS 6.2.3 [in 6.2.3], and it worked ok (Linux). It took an hour+ to
finish, but it got there.

The "segfault on line 32" refers to the line in the script which
r.sim.water is called.

I notice it used a lot of memory, here is what top reported while the
process was running:
   VIRT  RES  SHR
  1115m 290m 5756

Maybe that is the problem?

the script in 6.2.3 sets the region to match elevation.10m, while the
one in 6.3svn uses elevation.dem (30m). So the 6.3 script will use much
less memory and be faster.

Hamish