"Number of Decimals" - current functionality

"Number of Decimals" - current functionality

Jonathan Moules-2
Hi List,
I'm trying to better understand the "Number of Decimals" setting that can be found on the Global settings page, and also on a per-layer basis for vector layers.

Because all our data is in British National Grid, we've set the global setting to 2 - that's a precision down to the millimetre, more than enough.

However, during a conversation with one of our users, we realised - what happens to folks using WGS:84 - Lat/Lon to two decimal places is pretty much useless (precise to about 1.1km on the north/south, slightly more so east/west due to our latitude).

So I've been testing to see what happens with WFS GetFeature queries using the Layer Preview page:

 - Excel, GeoJSON, CSV, and shapefile all ignore the setting and return as many decimals as they feel like.

- GML (at least the ones that worked), does honour it.

So my questions:

- Is it worth considering a setting on a per-EPSG basis? (I know there are a lot of EPSG's, but I suspect few are interchangeable/used on the same system)

- Is it supposed to be used only for GML or carried over to the other WFS export formats as well?

Cheers,
Jonathan

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain confidential, sensitive or personal information and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: "Number of Decimals" - current functionality

Stefano Iacovella

- Is it worth considering a setting on a per-EPSG basis? (I know there are a lot of EPSG's, but I suspect few are interchangeable/used on the same system)

It would be worth to consider if it is possible to apply the setting on a per-unit basis. Nevertheless the EPSG CRS you are going to use two decimals are enough for meters and not for degrees.

Cheers

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella

http://twitter.com/#!/Iacovellas

Re: "Number of Decimals" - current functionality

Jonathan Moules-2
Hi Stefano,
I like the idea of a per-unit basis. Makes much more sense than a per-EPSG basis (which is probably why it didn't occur to me ;-) ).

I've opened a JIRA with the suggestion: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-6615

---

That done, does anyone have any thoughts on the fact it only seems to affect GML. Is this intentional or a bug?

Cheers,
Jonathan