"Add layer..." buttons

Alexander Bruy
Hi all,

now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.

I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into sub-menu
similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
from toolbar,
so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.

Opinions?

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Tim Sutton-4

Hi
On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>
> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into sub-menu
> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
> from toolbar,
> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>
> Opinions?

+1 from me
> --
> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Mathieu Pellerin

Could we reduce to not only one but a few categorised add buttons? I'm thinking:
- add file-based vectors
- add file-based rasters
- add database-based vectors & rasters (that would have sub menu items)
- add server-based vectors & rasters (that would also have sub menu items).

On 6 Sep 2014 16:08, "Tim Sutton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>
> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into sub-menu
> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
> from toolbar,
> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>
> Opinions?

+1 from me
> --
> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Nathan Woodrow

We did try this in the past and people didn't like it too much, however the browser wasn't as strong then.

One issue with the toolbuttons is the main action changes when you use the menu which can cause issues.

Hi
On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>
> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into sub-menu
> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
> from toolbar,
> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>
> Opinions?

+1 from me
> --
> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Mathieu Pellerin

Nathan, re main action changing, that's why I think reducing it to 4 categorised add buttons that would have last-used sub item as main action would actually work well.

On 6 Sep 2014 16:22, "Nathan Woodrow" <[hidden email]> wrote:

We did try this in the past and people didn't like it too much, however the browser wasn't as strong then.

One issue with the toolbuttons is the main action changes when you use the menu which can cause issues.

Hi
On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>
> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into sub-menu
> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
> from toolbar,
> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>
> Opinions?

+1 from me
> --
> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Anita Graser
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We did try this in the past and people didn't like it too much, however the
> browser wasn't as strong then.

Can you remember what was the issue back then for why people didn't
like the submenu? Was it because it adds an extra click? (I would
expect people who dislike clicking would use the toolbar instead of
the menu anyway.)

> One issue with the toolbuttons is the main action changes when you use the
> menu which can cause issues.

That's a slightly different topic, right? Would it make sense to have
another thread for this?

Best wishes,
Anita

> Hi
> On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
>> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
>> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>>
>> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into
>> sub-menu
>> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
>> from toolbar,
>> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
>> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

> +1 from me
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Mathieu Pellerin

Anita,

One of the main issue I see in reducing to a _single_ add button is the negative impact it has on the workflow.

For eg think of people who use the toolbar to add a series of vector n raster sets. Every time you'd go from one type to the other, there's an extra burden of having to open the sub menu to get to the type of set your needing.

That's a simple workflow that already shows a possible negative impact. Now add an environment that mixes files with db with server-served base map, etc. That single add button becomes a nightmare :)

On 6 Sep 2014 16:39, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We did try this in the past and people didn't like it too much, however the
> browser wasn't as strong then.

Can you remember what was the issue back then for why people didn't
like the submenu? Was it because it adds an extra click? (I would
expect people who dislike clicking would use the toolbar instead of
the menu anyway.)

> One issue with the toolbuttons is the main action changes when you use the
> menu which can cause issues.

That's a slightly different topic, right? Would it make sense to have
another thread for this?

Best wishes,
Anita

> Hi
> On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
>> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
>> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>>
>> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into
>> sub-menu
>> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
>> from toolbar,
>> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
>> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

> +1 from me
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Mathieu Pellerin

Toolbar buttons are also meant to be workflow shortcuts.

Having a single add button with a sub menu would become virtually no different than going through the Layer menu item :)

On 6 Sep 2014 16:48, "Mathieu Pellerin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anita,

One of the main issue I see in reducing to a _single_ add button is the negative impact it has on the workflow.

For eg think of people who use the toolbar to add a series of vector n raster sets. Every time you'd go from one type to the other, there's an extra burden of having to open the sub menu to get to the type of set your needing.

That's a simple workflow that already shows a possible negative impact. Now add an environment that mixes files with db with server-served base map, etc. That single add button becomes a nightmare :)

On 6 Sep 2014 16:39, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We did try this in the past and people didn't like it too much, however the
> browser wasn't as strong then.

Can you remember what was the issue back then for why people didn't
like the submenu? Was it because it adds an extra click? (I would
expect people who dislike clicking would use the toolbar instead of
the menu anyway.)

> One issue with the toolbuttons is the main action changes when you use the
> menu which can cause issues.

That's a slightly different topic, right? Would it make sense to have
another thread for this?

Best wishes,
Anita

> Hi
> On Sep 6, 2014 10:28 AM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> now we have 9 "Add Layer" buttons in QGIS by default, this buttons
>> also have menu entries in "Layer menu". "Layer" menu is a longest one
>> in QGIS and using it at small screens is not comfortable.
>>
>> I propose to move all "Add Layer" buttons from main "Layer" menu into
>> sub-menu
>> similar to what we have with "New" sub-menu. This actions accessible
>> from toolbar,
>> so moving them to sub-menu will not cause any inconvenience. But in
>> result we will have much shorter "Layer" menu usable on small screens.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

> +1 from me
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Alexander Bruy

> Could we reduce to not only one but a few categorised add buttons? I'm
> thinking:
> - add file-based vectors
> - add file-based rasters
> - add database-based vectors & rasters (that would have sub menu items)
> - add server-based vectors & rasters (that would also have sub menu items).

This topic not about toolbar buttons, but about corresponding menu entries.
Personally I think that toolbar buttons in future should be replaced with single
button that provides unified "Add data" dialog (Nathan created some mock-ups
earlier).

Regarding proposed drop-down buttons, we already tried this approach but then
return back to separate buttons.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Nathan Woodrow

Hey Alex,

Yeah having all the menu items in a sub menu is a good idea.

Sorry I thought you meant the toolbar buttons.

+1 from me

On Sep 6, 2014 9:12 PM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could we reduce to not only one but a few categorised add buttons? I'm
> thinking:
> - add file-based vectors
> - add file-based rasters
> - add database-based vectors & rasters (that would have sub menu items)
> - add server-based vectors & rasters (that would also have sub menu items).

This topic not about toolbar buttons, but about corresponding menu entries.
Personally I think that toolbar buttons in future should be replaced with single
button that provides unified "Add data" dialog (Nathan created some mock-ups
earlier).

Regarding proposed drop-down buttons, we already tried this approach but then
return back to separate buttons.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Alexander Bruy
Here is pull-request [0]. It includes Python bindings update and
also adopts Oracle GeoRaster plugin to this changes.

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1578

> Hey Alex,
>
> Yeah having all the menu items in a sub menu is a good idea.
>
> Sorry I thought you meant the toolbar buttons.
>
> +1 from me
>
> On Sep 6, 2014 9:12 PM, "Alexander Bruy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,

>> > Could we reduce to not only one but a few categorised add buttons? I'm
>> > thinking:
>> > - add file-based vectors
>> > - add file-based rasters
>> > - add database-based vectors & rasters (that would have sub menu items)
>> > - add server-based vectors & rasters (that would also have sub menu
>> > items).
>>
>> This topic not about toolbar buttons, but about corresponding menu
>> entries.
>> Personally I think that toolbar buttons in future should be replaced with
>> single
>> button that provides unified "Add data" dialog (Nathan created some
>> mock-ups
>> earlier).
>>
>> Regarding proposed drop-down buttons, we already tried this approach but
>> then
>> return back to separate buttons.
>>

>> --
>> Alexander Bruy

Alexander Bruy

Re: "Add layer..." buttons

Anita Graser
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anita,
> For eg think of people who use the toolbar to add a series of vector n
> raster sets. Every time you'd go from one type to the other, there's an
> extra burden of having to open the sub menu to get to the type of set your
> needing.

Hi Mathieu,
Sorry for the misunderstanding: I wasn't talking about changing the
toolbar. The toolbar will stay as it is - at least for the near
future, but the menu would be restructured.
Best wishes,
Anita