quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

jody.garnett
I was trying out the website, filling in a website survey that was sent to participants last week (and the discussion list this week).

One thing that startled me was where geomoose lives in the choose-a-project wizard.

Did I do a bad job of describing "portal"? It used to be called "intengrated" but then everyone chose it, now that it is called portal nobody has chosen it.

Goal is to describe an application (like GeoMOOSE?) that can be used for web mapping out of the box using only configuration ... or do I have the wrong idea about GeoMOOSE?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

Jim Klassen-2
I had a hard time categorizing GeoMoose for the website.  It fills different roles for different people.  Yes it is config and go web map, but it is also a framework to build something really custom, or data discovery tool/catalog of what layers and tools are available.

I am not sure what a portal is anymore.  To me it is a word that got buzzworded into meaninglessness.

On Oct 17, 2017 17:49, "Jody Garnett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was trying out the website, filling in a website survey that was sent to participants last week (and the discussion list this week).

One thing that startled me was where geomoose lives in the choose-a-project wizard.

Did I do a bad job of describing "portal"? It used to be called "intengrated" but then everyone chose it, now that it is called portal nobody has chosen it.

Goal is to describe an application (like GeoMOOSE?) that can be used for web mapping out of the box using only configuration ... or do I have the wrong idea about GeoMOOSE?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

blammo
Jody,

It’s actually usable in both of the those categories.  I would lean a bit more towards the Portal description though.   GeoMoose was put together in the forst place to handle the dissemination of large GeoSpatail datasets covering a large area, while still allowing the users to get at the data they needed for their little corner of the map world.

At it’s heart, it was intended  to oraganize and distribute many data layers while also aloow for a visual interface for the discovery of the spatially referenced data (A Portal).  The GeoMoose demo is packaged as a Portal too.  But a key point is that while GeoMoose can connect to other Web services.  It’s essentially a Javascript application that can be used to mine OGC services.  The Demo has these services originating from MapServer.  GeoMoose can also use Tiles, raster and vector, as well as be configured to run in standalone mode.  It really only requires a Browser and some datasets to operate.  A web server helps, but I think I could set it up to run from a flat file location too (I can be corrected here, and proably will :c).

It’s really (REALLY) hard to describe all the GeoMoose capabilities actually.  I’m of the mind to figure out how to pachage it up in more than on way actually, but it’s just not been gotten to yet.  Others here will likely say I’m not 100% with any of this too.

bobb

On Oct 17, 2017, at 5:48 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was trying out the website, filling in a website survey that was sent to participants last week (and the discussion list this week).

One thing that startled me was where geomoose lives in the choose-a-project wizard.

Did I do a bad job of describing "portal"? It used to be called "intengrated" but then everyone chose it, now that it is called portal nobody has chosen it.

Goal is to describe an application (like GeoMOOSE?) that can be used for web mapping out of the box using only configuration ... or do I have the wrong idea about GeoMOOSE?
--
Jody Garnett

Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
—Cale Yarborough

Re: quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

TC Haddad

I notice that there is nothing listed under Client:
Would it make sense to go there?

Personally, for the purposes of the OSGeo website (targeted at new users wanting to convert to FOSS) would call GeoMoose a "Configurable Map Viewer", which to me means it is essentially an easy to set up client. The advanced features mentioned by Jim and Bob are also great, but are a bonus for most users seeking to fulfill the first use case.

Projects that fit under "Portal" in my mind would be things like GeoNetwork and GeoNode, but maybe I am being to limited in my thinking?

Tanya

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Agreed Tanya, this is part of what I am working on tonight, double checking where projects want to be listed.

On the plus side the SAC committee had a meeting and is taking steps to host the website and let us all edit using our LDAP credentials :)

--
Jody Garnett

On 17 October 2017 at 16:25, TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Agreed James, sometimes our IT industry is crazy making :)

Here is the question we ask people before choose:

What kind of technology are you looking for?

* Portal: We would like a ready-to-use integrated solution for creating our own mapping website, mapping portal, or SDI for spatial information.

I would like GeoMOOSE to be listed here, if you have *any* suggestions on what to name it other than portal please bring it on!

(Keep in mind that this is the IT category, so we are talking to computing professionals here, so we need to think in terms of application tiers rather that spatial-data-infrastructure). And yes GeoMOOSE will be listed in multiple categories.

--
Jody Garnett