question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)-2
Hello conference committee,

I’d like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.

On March 24 I’d like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.

The proposal can be found here:

http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf

TIA and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

stevenfeldman
Questions from me for the Korean team to get things started

  1. What language(s) will you use at the conference? Can you reach the Asian FOSS4G community while retaining interest from the english speakers?
  2. Do you have any ideas of overall delegate costs?

______
Steven

On 17 Mar 2014, at 07:56, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello conference committee,

I’d like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.

On March 24 I’d like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.

The proposal can be found here:

http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf

TIA and let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Cameron Shorter
On 17/03/14 20:11, Steven Feldman wrote:
Questions from me for the Korean team to get things started

  1. What language(s) will you use at the conference? Can you reach the Asian FOSS4G community while retaining interest from the english speakers?
  2. Do you have any ideas of overall delegate costs?

3. It is good to hear about Korea's prior experience with local FOSS4G events. Such experience has proven very valuable for prior events. Can you please talk about how many people have been attracted to prior local FOSS4G related events.

4. If possible, I'd be interested to hear further about interest from other regional chapters and regional events that you have mentioned. In particular, it would be good to hear how other events could be synchronised with FOSS4G to attract more delegates.

5. FOSS4G has traditionally attracted ~ 75% of its attendance from the local region (Asia in this case). If FOSS4G Korea only attracted minimal attendance from Europe/US (say 50 people), would you expect that FOSS4G Korea would still be financially viable?

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello Sanghee,

I hope you don't mind questions coming from me, instead of a Conference
Committee hat, I'll wear the President hat now ha.

Although I am familiar with the group myself, I think it is important
that you explain a little more about the partner organization KAOS-G,
and its impact locally, for the conference committee.

Thanks,

-jeff

On 2014-03-17, 4:56 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> Hello conference committee,
>
> I’d like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.
>
> On March 24 I’d like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.
>
> The proposal can be found here:
>
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf
>
> TIA and let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Sanghee Shin
Dear Steven,

Here are my answers to you.

1. Official language will be English. English is a usual official language in almost all the international conference in Asia. Languages in Asia are very diverse just like Europe. So we'd better select English as an official language to reach Asia community.

2. Currently we've been simulating budget estimation based on full-day registration fee at USD 500.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 3. 17., 오후 6:11, Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> 작성:

[...]

Dear Cameron,

Here are my answers:

3. OSGeo Korean Chapter started FOSS4G Korea in 2011. In 2011, we attracted around 50 and in 2012, around 80 and last year around 120+ people attended FOSS Korea 2013. And KAOS-G's 'Open Source GIS Solution Day' attracted around 100 people in last August.

4. At first, Prof. Venkatesh in Osaka University is now trying to organize FOSS4G Asia in this Autumn. I and Venka exchanged an idea about merging next year's FOSS4G Asia into FOSS4G 2015 Jeju when Venka visited Korea last year. And many Japan chapter members including Toru Mori, representative of Japan Chapter, showed their strong support for FOSS4G Juju. Also we'll reach and talk to other Asian FOSS4G community. We've already noticed several FOSS4G related events in Asia including Malaysia, India and Sri Lanka.

5. Actually we don't think much about numbers of delegates from EU/NA specifically. According to our initial budget estimation, we need to attract at least 600 paid delegates to have a gain. I think we also need to attract many people from Australia/New Zealand with your help.:)

All the best,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 3. 17., 오후 7:46, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> 작성:

[...]

Dear Jeff,

KAOS-G(Korea Alliance of Open Source Geospatial) is a company alliance seeking for capturing business chances in more commercial way by providing professional open source GIS solutions and technologies to customers. KAOS-G started last year with 8 small-medium size member companies from diverse geospatial fields and now has 10 member companies.

By engaging KAOS-G, we can expect some financial sponsorship from member companies and the alliance itself. Many of LOC members are from KOAS-G companies and they are also core members of OSGeo Korean Chapter. So, their FOSS4G 2015 organizing activities will be far more easier with company level approval. Member companies in KAOS_G also want to promote its company through FOSS4G 2015.

regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 3. 18., 오전 3:55, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Hello Sanghee,
>
> I hope you don't mind questions coming from me, instead of a Conference
> Committee hat, I'll wear the President hat now ha.
>
> Although I am familiar with the group myself, I think it is important
> that you explain a little more about the partner organization KAOS-G,
> and its impact locally, for the conference committee.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2014-03-17, 4:56 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>> Hello conference committee,
>>
>> I’d like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.
>>
>> On March 24 I’d like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.
>>
>> The proposal can be found here:
>>
>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf
>>
>> TIA and let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Hi Sanghee,
Thanks for your proposal that is exciting to read!

Questions:

- Can you provide a little more information about the location, especially how well it can be reached from abroad?
A first check for flights from Amsterdam showed many results with 30+ hours of traveling and 2 or more stops. What is that like from the US, Australia, India and other countries in Asia? And what is the impact of hosting the conference on a remote(!?) island instead of e.g. in Seoul? (By the way, I love the island idea :-) )

- You indicate that there are no Visa problems on Jeju Islands. Am I correct to assume that transit through mainland Korea and/or other neighboring countries gives no problems either?

- Are there LOC members living on Jeju islands?

- Have you hosted one of the local chapters conferences on Jeju in the past? What other locations in Korea did you host the conference in the past?

Thanks again, cheers,
Jeroen

On 17 mrt. 2014, at 08:56, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello conference committee,
>
> I’d like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.
>
> On March 24 I’d like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.
>
> The proposal can be found here:
>
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf
>
> TIA and let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Paul Ramsey
I too wonder at the location chosen. It's a long way to Korea, but
even further to Jeju. Will a remote location increase or decrease
participation from Korea? The host country always has the most
attendees.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Jeroen Ticheler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sanghee,
> Thanks for your proposal that is exciting to read!
>
> Questions:
>
> - Can you provide a little more information about the location, especially how well it can be reached from abroad?
> A first check for flights from Amsterdam showed many results with 30+ hours of traveling and 2 or more stops. What is that like from the US, Australia, India and other countries in Asia? And what is the impact of hosting the conference on a remote(!?) island instead of e.g. in Seoul? (By the way, I love the island idea :-) )
>
> - You indicate that there are no Visa problems on Jeju Islands. Am I correct to assume that transit through mainland Korea and/or other neighboring countries gives no problems either?
>
> - Are there LOC members living on Jeju islands?
>
> - Have you hosted one of the local chapters conferences on Jeju in the past? What other locations in Korea did you host the conference in the past?
>
> Thanks again, cheers,
> Jeroen
>

> On 17 mrt. 2014, at 08:56, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello conference committee,
>>
>> I'd like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.
>>
>> On March 24 I'd like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.
>>
>> The proposal can be found here:
>>
>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf
>>
>> TIA and let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Sanghee Shin
Dear Jeroen and Paul,

Both of you raised very important issue that hit the mark critically. Venue selection was not an easy job for us and still there is debating inside LOC whether we made right choice.

Let's answer one by one.

1. Jeju airport is connected to 16 foreign airports mainly in Japan, China, Hongkong and Taiwan. The easiest way to go to Jeju island is making a transit at Gimpo(Seoul), Narita(Tokyo), Beijing or Sanghai airport. And there are numerous air flights between Seoul(Gimpo) and Jeju. If you come from Amsterdam, you might land at Incheon International Airport(Seoul) and then need to move to Gimpo airport to make transit to Jeju. It would take around 14 ~ 15 hours including 1 stop-over transit time. However if you make a transit at Narita(Tokyo), you can transit to Jeju airport directly. This will be the same case to the passengers from India, Australia, North America, because major flights from outside of Korea usually land at Incheon International Airport.

2. The main reason why we chose Jeju as venue location was to attract more Asian delegates without VISA problems. According to statistics of past FOSS4G conferences, 1/2~3/4 of delegates are from the same continent. So we assumed that we could increase delegates from Asia by removing VISA problems. However I'm not sure whether this VISA problems could be major hurdle to attend FOSS4G 2015 in Korea. So asked this to some OSGeo guys in Asia today to hear their opinions.

3. Some Asian citizens including Chinese need to get a valid VISA when they transit through mainland Korea. No Visa is required only when they landed directly from outside of Korea. And almost all the europeans and Russians, US & Canada citizens, Japanese are not required to get VISA.

4. Nobody is living there in Jeju Island.

5. No. We've never hosted FOSS4G related conferences in Jeju so far. We hosted FOSS4G Korea 1 time in KINTEX(http://www.kintex.com/client/_eng/index.jsp) near Seoul and 2 times in Seoul COEX, the largest and most expensive convention centre.

6. I don't think hosting FOSS4G in Jeju will affect the number of delegates from Korea. Because Jeju is the No. 1 resort place for Korean people to want to visit. Since, there are so many air flights from major cities in Korea and Jeju, somebody say that it's easier to go to Jeju rather than to go to Seoul.

Actually as you know, our venue selection was made based on assumptions that removing VISA problems would increase the number of delegates from Asia. But it's really hard to estimate the number of delegates from Asia except Korea & Japan and it's also very hard to estimate how the location will affect the delegates from other continent, let say Europe, N.A...

I also want to hear your opinions and past experiences.

To FOSS4G 2015 selection committee, I just wonder whether we could change venue location after going through Phase I.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 3. 19., 오전 8:26, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> 작성:

> I too wonder at the location chosen. It's a long way to Korea, but
> even further to Jeju. Will a remote location increase or decrease
> participation from Korea? The host country always has the most
> attendees.

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Jeroen Ticheler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sanghee,
>> Thanks for your proposal that is exciting to read!
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> - Can you provide a little more information about the location, especially how well it can be reached from abroad?
>> A first check for flights from Amsterdam showed many results with 30+ hours of traveling and 2 or more stops. What is that like from the US, Australia, India and other countries in Asia? And what is the impact of hosting the conference on a remote(!?) island instead of e.g. in Seoul? (By the way, I love the island idea :-) )
>>
>> - You indicate that there are no Visa problems on Jeju Islands. Am I correct to assume that transit through mainland Korea and/or other neighboring countries gives no problems either?
>>
>> - Are there LOC members living on Jeju islands?
>>
>> - Have you hosted one of the local chapters conferences on Jeju in the past? What other locations in Korea did you host the conference in the past?
>>
>> Thanks again, cheers,
>> Jeroen
>>

>> On 17 mrt. 2014, at 08:56, Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello conference committee,
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask you to take some time this week to read over the (2 page) proposal from South-Korea to host FOSS4G in 2015 and ask any questions you might have for them on this mailing list.
>>>
>>> On March 24 I'd like the conference committee to take an official vote on the advancement to stage 2, where people will have 2 business days to vote.
>>>
>>> The proposal can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/proposals/2015/Letter_of_Intent_Jeju_Korea.pdf
>>>
>>> TIA and let me know if you have any questions.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Dear Sanghee,
Thanks for your elaborate answers! It would indeed be really good to hear back from you once you had feedback from others in Asia.
Kind regards,
Jeroen

On 19 mrt. 2014, at 09:21, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> A first check for flights from Amsterdam showed many results with 30+ hours of traveling and 2 or more stops. What is that like from the US, Australia, India and other countries in Asia? And what is the impact of hosting the conference on a remote(!?) island instead of e.g. in Seoul? (By the way, I love the island idea :-) )
>>>
>>> - You indicate that there are no Visa problems on Jeju Islands. Am I correct to assume that transit through mainland Korea and/or other neighboring countries gives no problems either?
>>>
>>> - Are there LOC members living on Jeju islands?
>>>
>>> - Have you hosted one of the local chapters conferences on Jeju in the past? What other locations in Korea did you host the conference in the past?
>>>
>>> Thanks again, cheers,
>>> Jeroen

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

So far I've got 5 responses from Asia FOSS4G guys.

Despite of hassle of Visa application, 2 preferred Seoul area because of direct flight & convenient transportation.

1 preferred Seoul because of many flights.

1 strongly preferred Jeju because of No-VISA hassle.

1 showed general opinion inclined to No-VISA hassle.

So current score is 3(Seoul)-2(Jeju) ha.

Anyway we already explored the possibility of changing of venue location and found that we could book KINTEX(near Seoul) or COEX(Central Seoul) around that season.

If FOSS4G 2015 Selection Committee allow us to pass the Stage 1, we'll propose our final Venue location - Jeju or Seoul - after more in-depth discussion at the final proposal. Members of LOC will meet next Thursday just after your Phase I announcement.

With regards,

Sanghee
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
http://www.gaia3d.com
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478

2014. 3. 20., 오전 6:37, Jeroen Ticheler <[hidden email]> 작성:

> [...]
>>
>> I also want to hear your opinions and past experiences.
>>
>> To FOSS4G 2015 selection committee, I just wonder whether we could change venue location after going through Phase I.
>>
>> With regards,
>>
>> Sanghee
>> ---
>> Shin, Sanghee
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
>> http://www.gaia3d.com
>> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
>> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
>>
>> 2014. 3. 19., 오전 8:26, Paul Ramsey <[hidden email]> 작성:
>>
>>> I too wonder at the location chosen. It's a long way to Korea, but
>>> even further to Jeju. Will a remote location increase or decrease
>>> participation from Korea? The host country always has the most
>>> attendees.

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Arnulf Christl

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

stevenfeldman
I think we need to recognise that cost of travel will limit attendance
from NA and Europe except for those funded by employers. This was
always the downside of the non NA, Europe choice. Upside is hopefully
growing the community in SE Asia

Steven Feldman
KnowWhere Consulting
www.knowwhereconsulting.co.uk
http://twitter.com/stevenfeldman

+44 (0) 7958 924101
Sent from my iPhone

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

Arnulf Christl
Steven,
those prices are perfectly OK and within tolerance, traveling to Cape Town or Sydney was not much cheaper. I just wanted to check whether the island location would make things unreasonably more expensive or strenuous for EU travelers which apparently is not the case.

Cheers,
Arnulf

--
Arnulf Christl (aka Seven)
http://arnulf.us

I think we need to recognise that cost of travel will limit attendance
from NA and Europe except for those funded by employers. This was
always the downside of the non NA, Europe choice. Upside is hopefully
growing the community in SE Asia

Steven Feldman
KnowWhere Consulting
www.knowwhereconsulting.co.uk
http://twitter.com/stevenfeldman

+44 (0) 7958 924101
Sent from my iPhone

Re: question period for FOSS4G 2015 RFP - this week

dkastl