question on incubation / community / and branding

question on incubation / community / and branding

jody.garnett
Good morning list:

MetaCRS is listed as being an "Incubating Project" on osgeo.org.

For the website redesign we are focused on grouping projects into OSGeo Community and OSGeo Project categories.

MetaCRS is currently in incubation, we have an open question if an osgeo logo is still useful? Does the MetaCRS mailing list have any wishes here?

Because MetaCRS is a collection of sub projects I wanted to ask if any of the subprojects would like to join OSGeo as a Community Project? There are a couple of requirements (like being open source) that I would be happy to discuss.

--
Jody Garnett

Re: question on incubation / community / and branding

Howard Butler-3

On Aug 2, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning list:

MetaCRS is listed as being an "Incubating Project" on osgeo.org.

For the website redesign we are focused on grouping projects into OSGeo Community and OSGeo Project categories.

MetaCRS is currently in incubation, we have an open question if an osgeo logo is still useful? Does the MetaCRS mailing list have any wishes here?

Because MetaCRS is a collection of sub projects I wanted to ask if any of the subprojects would like to join OSGeo as a Community Project? There are a couple of requirements (like being open source) that I would be happy to discuss.

This doesn't help with your website design, but I think MetaCRS should be retracted as an OSGeo incubating project. It doesn't meet any of the project definitions for OSGeo, and other than it being a collection of Community Projects -- the concept didn't exist when MetaCRS was formed -- all related to each other by topic, there's very little hope that anything substantial enough to actually be an incubated OSGeo project is going to arise from it.

MetaCRS is a very useful mailing list.

Howard

Re: question on incubation / community / and branding

Even Rouault-2

On mercredi 2 août 2017 10:21:08 CEST Jody Garnett wrote:

> Good morning list:

> MetaCRS is listed as being an "Incubating Project" on osgeo.org.

> For the website redesign we are focused on grouping projects into OSGeo

> Community and OSGeo Project categories.

> MetaCRS is currently in incubation, we have an open question if an osgeo

> logo is still useful? Does the MetaCRS mailing list have any wishes here?

> For logos please see: https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation

> Because MetaCRS is a collection of sub projects I wanted to ask if any of

> the subprojects would like to join OSGeo as a Community Project? There are

> a couple of requirements (like being open source) that I would be happy to

> discuss.

Jody,

I don't have any official authority regarding MetaCRS but I think we had some related discussions in past months, and I believe the outcome (or at least it is my opinion :-)) was that MetaCRS was too "meta" (both for outsiders and insiders)... to be a OSGeo project. For example there is a PSC, but when a motion is raised about a project (let's say to approve a release), probably only the PSC member of the said project has an informed opinion about the motion. MetaCRS mostly exists as a mailing list to share ideas / questions / collaboration about CRS issues. From a branding perspective, the name of each subproject is certainly more known to more people than the MetaCRS name.

I'm pretty sure that proj.4 meet all requirements to qualify as a Community Project : open source, geo and participatory.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: question on incubation / community / and branding

jody.garnett
MetaCRS could form as an initiative at OSGeo (specifically an initiative to help projects work on interoperability around spatial reference systems).

I know we talked about reclassifying MetaCRS as a community project when the concept was introduced last year ... but lacked sufficient guidance from the MetaCRS team.

--
Jody Garnett