qgis displays wrong coordinates on BSB chart

qgis displays wrong coordinates on BSB chart

Jean-Claude Repetto-2
Hello,

I have downloaded a BSB chart from the NOAA site at
<http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download_agreement.htm>

Chart #50 (NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN EASTERN PART)

The chart seems correctly referenced (it contains many GCPs, I checked
some of them), but when I  open it with qgis 1.0 preview 2, the
latitudes displayed are wrong. For exemple, if I put the cursor on the
15° parallel of the chart, qgis displays 13.2°.

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Jean-Claude

Re: qgis displays wrong coordinates on BSB chart

Tim Sutton
Hi Jean-Claude

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 18:10 +0100, Jean-Claude REPETTO wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded a BSB chart from the NOAA site at
> <http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download_agreement.htm>
>
> Chart #50 (NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN EASTERN PART)
>
> The chart seems correctly referenced (it contains many GCPs, I checked
> some of them), but when I  open it with qgis 1.0 preview 2, the
> latitudes displayed are wrong. For exemple, if I put the cursor on the
> 15° parallel of the chart, qgis displays 13.2°.
For me there is an issue with the referencing of the image. I generated
a 1x1 degree graticule in QGIS using the graticule plugin, set value of
1 in your dataset to be transparent and underlaid the vmap country
boundaries. The BSB dataset aligns with neither the vmap or the
graticule. See screenshot link below. Have you been able to verify that
it is properly aligned when opening in other GIS software?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/3149590299/

Regards

--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Tim Sutton a écrit :

>> I have downloaded a BSB chart from the NOAA site at
>> <http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download_agreement.htm>
>>
>> Chart #50 (NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN EASTERN PART)
>>
>> The chart seems correctly referenced (it contains many GCPs, I checked
>> some of them), but when I  open it with qgis 1.0 preview 2, the
>> latitudes displayed are wrong. For exemple, if I put the cursor on the
>> 15° parallel of the chart, qgis displays 13.2°.
>
> For me there is an issue with the referencing of the image. I generated
> a 1x1 degree graticule in QGIS using the graticule plugin, set value of
> 1 in your dataset to be transparent and underlaid the vmap country
> boundaries. The BSB dataset aligns with neither the vmap or the
> graticule. See screenshot link below. Have you been able to verify that
> it is properly aligned when opening in other GIS software?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlinux/3149590299/

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer. I have checked the file with SeaClear
(<http://www.sping.com/seaclear/>), and the coordinates are correctly
displayed.

On this screen shot <http://dl.free.fr/qu2tpayGr>, I have put the cursor
on the map at 20°N, 120°W, and you can see that the coordinates
displayed at the lower right corner of the screen are correct.

Best regards,
Jean-Claude