pyqgis docs

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi PSC/Denis,

Now that
https://qgis.org/pyqgis
is online, should we not make this more public?
As in some emails to the lists, or a blog post?

Or are we still waiting for something?

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

Anita Graser
Hi Richard,

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:05 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi PSC/Denis,

Now that
https://qgis.org/pyqgis
is online, should we not make this more public?
As in some emails to the lists, or a blog post?

which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.

I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something new to say besides the link?

Regards,
Anita​

On 16-05-18 12:28, Anita Graser wrote:

> ​We should definitely fix the link in
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
> which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>
> I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
> new to say besides the link?

I think we could make it a more technical post with some input of Denis?

Why was this needed, how is it served etc.

Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article it links to:
https://github.com/opengisch/QGISPythonAPIDocumentation
But the main work is now done on:
https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

Anita Graser

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16-05-18 12:28, Anita Graser wrote:

> ​We should definitely fix the link in
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
> which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>
> I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
> new to say besides the link?

I think we could make it a more technical post with some input of Denis?

​Ok, I had some more technical details, which I didn't include in the blog post.
I can whip something up in the next days.

Further input welcome!

Anita

Why was this needed, how is it served etc.

Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article it links to:
https://github.com/opengisch/QGISPythonAPIDocumentation
But the main work is now done on:
https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

3nids
Hi Guys,

Yes, everything is ready.

I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
There have been 2 reports:

Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)

Cheers,

Denis

Le mer. 16 mai 2018 à 06:55, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16-05-18 12:28, Anita Graser wrote:

> ​We should definitely fix the link in
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
> which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>
> I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
> new to say besides the link?

I think we could make it a more technical post with some input of Denis?

​Ok, I had some more technical details, which I didn't include in the blog post.
I can whip something up in the next days.

Further input welcome!

Anita

Why was this needed, how is it served etc.

Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article it links to:
https://github.com/opengisch/QGISPythonAPIDocumentation
But the main work is now done on:
https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

Anita Graser
Hi,

Here's a draft of the blog post for the PyQGIS docs announcement. I decided to point the reader to Denis' reports for further technical detail.
Let me know what you think. I'm planning to publish it tomorrow:

We are proud to announce our new dedicated Python API documentation available at https://qgis.org/pyqgis

While the QGIS API has long been documented, Python developers in the past had to work with the general C++ documentation that wasn't always straightforward to use. The new PyQGIS documentation presents the API in an accessible pythonic manner.

Of course, creating a good API documentation from source code in an automated way, is not trivial. Two detailed reports containing all the technical details of the first and second generation of the documentation are available if you want to learn more about the underlying architecture (including Sphinx, Doxygen, and Sipify).

This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Regards,
Anita

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Yes, everything is ready.

I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
There have been 2 reports:

Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)

Cheers,

Denis

Le mer. 16 mai 2018 à 06:55, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16-05-18 12:28, Anita Graser wrote:

> ​We should definitely fix the link in
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
> which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>
> I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
> new to say besides the link?

I think we could make it a more technical post with some input of Denis?

​Ok, I had some more technical details, which I didn't include in the blog post.
I can whip something up in the next days.

Further input welcome!

Anita

Why was this needed, how is it served etc.

Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article it links to:
https://github.com/opengisch/QGISPythonAPIDocumentation
But the main work is now done on:
https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

Richard Duivenvoorde

Hi Anita,

Thanks for this work!

Fine with me.

Regard,

Richard

On 19-05-18 21:29, Anita Graser wrote:

> [...]
>
>             > ​We should definitely fix the link in
>             > http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
>             <http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
>             > which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>             >
>             > I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
>             > new to say besides the link?
>
>             I think we could make it a more technical post with some
>             input of Denis?
>

>         ​Ok, I had some more technical details, which I didn't include
>         in the blog post.
>         I can whip something up in the next days.
>
>         Further input welcome!
>
>         Anita
>
>         ​
>

>             Why was this needed, how is it served etc.
>
>             Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article

Re: pyqgis docs

3nids
Hi Anita,

Thanks a lot for doingi it, nicely written!
I'll just maybe complete a bit the technical part.
I'd like also to insist on PyQGIS term, so it gets more widely used.
I write directly in your text.
Feel free to correct my corrections ;) your english sounds a bit better than mine! Or, if you find them too technical.

Cheers,
Denis

We are proud to announce our new dedicated documentation of the Python API (also called PyQGIS). It is available at https://qgis.org/pyqgis

While the QGIS API has long been documented, Python developers in the past had to work with the general C++ documentation that wasn't always straightforward to use. The new PyQGIS documentation presents the API in an accessible pythonic manner.

Bringing a generated API for Python from source code was not a trivial task.

The fitst challenge was the automatic creation of the Python bindings files (or SIP files) which was achieved by developing a custom perl script known as "sipify". This allows us to automatically introduce and keep up to date the C++ documentation into the Python bindings.

 Next, was the creation of the documentation itself using Sphinx. Two detailed reports containing all the technical details of the first and second generation of the documentation are available if you want to learn more about the underlying architecture.

This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Regards,
Anita

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

Yes, everything is ready.

I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
There have been 2 reports:

Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)

Cheers,

Denis

Le mer. 16 mai 2018 à 06:55, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16-05-18 12:28, Anita Graser wrote:

> ​We should definitely fix the link in
> http://blog.qgis.org/2018/05/08/reports-from-the-winning-grant-proposals-2017/
> which mentions the pyqgis doc efforts in the end.
>
> I'm also fine with publishing another blog post. Do we have something
> new to say besides the link?

I think we could make it a more technical post with some input of Denis?

​Ok, I had some more technical details, which I didn't include in the blog post.
I can whip something up in the next days.

Further input welcome!

Anita

Why was this needed, how is it served etc.

Note that the main github repo also changed. In the article it links to:
https://github.com/opengisch/QGISPythonAPIDocumentation
But the main work is now done on:
https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis

Regards,

Richard

Re: pyqgis docs

DelazJ

I guess this will be of great help to update the PyQGIS Cookbook and we should add link to the new site from the docs. Thanks to all of you.

Le 20 mai 2018 3:24 AM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [... ]
>>
>> This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Just to mention a typo, here: "from OUR donors".

Greetings,
Harrissou

>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Yes, everything is ready.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
>>> There have been 2 reports:
>>> 1. https://cloud.opengis.ch/index.php/s/n6HBCzPWrWqa5di
>>> 2. https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-April/006090.html
>>>
>>> Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: pyqgis docs

Anita Graser

Regards,
Anita

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I guess this will be of great help to update the PyQGIS Cookbook and we should add link to the new site from the docs. Thanks to all of you.

Le 20 mai 2018 3:24 AM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [... ]
>>
>> This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Just to mention a typo, here: "from OUR donors".

Greetings,
Harrissou

>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Yes, everything is ready.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
>>> There have been 2 reports:
>>> 1. https://cloud.opengis.ch/index.php/s/n6HBCzPWrWqa5di
>>> 2. https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-April/006090.html
>>>
>>> Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: pyqgis docs

3nids
Hi Anita

Thanks a lot
I don't know why the page doesn't show the links to master and 3.0
Csn you maybe update the link to point to /master?
I'll fix the home page tomorrow.
Cheers
Denis

Le dim. 20 mai 2018 à 13:47, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Regards,
Anita

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I guess this will be of great help to update the PyQGIS Cookbook and we should add link to the new site from the docs. Thanks to all of you.

Le 20 mai 2018 3:24 AM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [... ]
>>
>> This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Just to mention a typo, here: "from OUR donors".

Greetings,
Harrissou

>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Yes, everything is ready.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
>>> There have been 2 reports:
>>> 1. https://cloud.opengis.ch/index.php/s/n6HBCzPWrWqa5di
>>> 2. https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-April/006090.html
>>>
>>> Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: pyqgis docs

Anita Graser
Strange, I checked again and https://qgis.org/pyqgis/ shows

Welcome to QGIS Python Documentation aka PyQGIS

The Documentation is per QGIS release, please head to:
as expected.

But I can change the link to master because it's more useful anyway.

Regards,
Anita

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Anita

Thanks a lot
I don't know why the page doesn't show the links to master and 3.0
Csn you maybe update the link to point to /master?
I'll fix the home page tomorrow.
Cheers
Denis

Le dim. 20 mai 2018 à 13:47, Anita Graser <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Regards,
Anita

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:30 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I guess this will be of great help to update the PyQGIS Cookbook and we should add link to the new site from the docs. Thanks to all of you.

Le 20 mai 2018 3:24 AM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [... ]
>>
>> This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has been made possible by support from or donors and sponsors, as well as the generous in-kind contributions of our community members.

Just to mention a typo, here: "from OUR donors".

Greetings,
Harrissou

>> Regards,
>> Anita
>>

>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Denis Rouzaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Yes, everything is ready.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it makes a lot of sense to enter technical details?
>>> There have been 2 reports:
>>> 1. https://cloud.opengis.ch/index.php/s/n6HBCzPWrWqa5di
>>> 2. https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-April/006090.html
>>>
>>> Anita, let me know if you want to write a more attractive summary? In such case, with an approximate number of lines/words (more like 3-5 lines or 1--20 lines...)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: pyqgis docs

3nids
Glad to read, it's on my phone ans refresh does nothing...
Yes, I think it's better to land on master docs.

Cheers