pygeoapi logo funding

jody.garnett
The incubation committee recently got a request to cover the €34 for the new pygeoapi logo, while we have completed a motion to support this here --- I feel I need to pass this request over to the board (as keeper of the community project budget).

I hope next year we can be a bit more clear on how community projects are managed.

On a related note none of the incubation projects have made an application for funding in 2019. We have seen a number of projects (PROJ and CITE Team Engine) make considerable progress this year.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: pygeoapi logo funding

Tom Kralidis
(disclaimer: I am an incubation committee member as well as pygeoapi
founder/dev)

Having said this, it sounds like workflow is/could be incubation
committee approves
and then board approves?

Should we add as an agenda item to the next meeting so as to discuss?

..Tom

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:02 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The incubation committee recently got a request to cover the €34 for the new pygeoapi logo, while we have completed a motion to support this here --- I feel I need to pass this request over to the board (as keeper of the community project budget).
>
> I hope next year we can be a bit more clear on how community projects are managed.
>
> On a related note none of the incubation projects have made an application for funding in 2019. We have seen a number of projects (PROJ and CITE Team Engine) make considerable progress this year.
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: pygeoapi logo funding

jody.garnett
I think it makes sense that incubation committee helps evaluate projects (for website, community, incubation) as our members are primarily mentors for open source development teams and are a good position to offer advise and guidance.

For the larger picture osgeo community program was setup by the board foster innovation and accept more projects into OSGeo.  I think any budget associated with osgeo community program should be allocated by the board with these goals in mind. I do not see a reason for the incubation committee to be involved.
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 13:45, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
(disclaimer: I am an incubation committee member as well as pygeoapi
founder/dev)

Having said this, it sounds like workflow is/could be incubation
committee approves
and then board approves?

Should we add as an agenda item to the next meeting so as to discuss?

..Tom

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:02 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The incubation committee recently got a request to cover the €34 for the new pygeoapi logo, while we have completed a motion to support this here --- I feel I need to pass this request over to the board (as keeper of the community project budget).
>
> I hope next year we can be a bit more clear on how community projects are managed.
>
> On a related note none of the incubation projects have made an application for funding in 2019. We have seen a number of projects (PROJ and CITE Team Engine) make considerable progress this year.
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: pygeoapi logo funding

Tom Kralidis

Thanks Jody.  So then the board governs the community project budget prpoer
with motion/votes)?  What do others think?  We probably need to update [1]
as a result.

Having said this, what do we do with the current motion per this email thread?
We are discussing how community project funding can be put forth but we have
a current ask which has gone through incubation committee.

..Tom

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects#How_OSGeo_Community_Projects_Are_Related_To_OSGeo_Incubation

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:35:57 -0700
> From: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> To: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
> Cc: osgeo-board List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Board] pygeoapi logo funding
>
> I think it makes sense that incubation committee helps evaluate
> projects (for website, community, incubation) as our members are primarily
> mentors for open source development teams and are a good position to offer
> advise and guidance.
>
> For the larger picture osgeo community program was setup by the board
> foster innovation and accept more projects into OSGeo.  I think any budget
> associated with osgeo community program should be allocated by the board
> with these goals in mind. I do not see a reason for the
> incubation committee to be involved.
> --
> Jody Garnett
>

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 13:45, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> (disclaimer: I am an incubation committee member as well as pygeoapi
>> founder/dev)
>>
>> Having said this, it sounds like workflow is/could be incubation
>> committee approves
>> and then board approves?
>>
>> Should we add as an agenda item to the next meeting so as to discuss?
>>
>> ..Tom
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:02 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The incubation committee recently got a request to cover the €34 for the
>> new pygeoapi logo, while we have completed a motion to support this here
>> --- I feel I need to pass this request over to the board (as keeper of the
>> community project budget).
>>>
>>> I hope next year we can be a bit more clear on how community projects
>> are managed.
>>>
>>> On a related note none of the incubation projects have made an
>> application for funding in 2019. We have seen a number of projects (PROJ
>> and CITE Team Engine) make considerable progress this year.
>>> --
>>> Jody Garnett

Re: pygeoapi logo funding

jody.garnett
Yeah that wiki page is basically a draft, for a more complete picture see the website or recent presentation

Indeed towards the end of the page you can see "stages" which are left over from when the idea was called OSGeo Labs :)

I suspect we need an incubation work party to clean up our wiki pages and update our documents.
--
Jody Garnett