proj graduation discussion

jody.garnett
Disclaimer: I helped Michael and the PROJ team a couple times at code sprints get setup for incubation so this is not the first time I have reviewed.

Before we start though, Michael as mentor your have been hanging out with the PROJ team. Were there any questions during incubation, and procedures changed or clarified? How did it go?

Useful links:
- proj.org (this looks *great* congrats, and thanks for including the osgeo community logo)
- osgeo project page <-- this needs a fair bit of work (like a logo, website link, issue tracker, downloads, ...)
- incubation checklist - we need a code of conduct somewhere (I just checked the repo).

With respect to code of conduct, this is a new requirement from the board and the incubation committee has not yet updated our checklist.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: proj graduation discussion

Kristian Evers-2
Jody,

I am working on both the CoC and the OSGeo project page.

I’ve added the logo and various links to the osgeo.org page. Better descriptions
of the features of PROJ are still needed. Hopefully I’ll get round to that this weekend.

Thanks for your input.

/Kristian

On 17 Oct 2019, at 18:34, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Contributor Covenant code of conduct has now been accepted by the PROJ community [0].

The question of whether we are breaking the terms of use of the EPSG registry or not has been raised several times. I think the most complete discussion is found in the incubation application ticket [1]. The EPSG terms of use allow both redistribution and modification of the dataset. Modification of the dataset is only allowed provided that the data is no longer ascribed to the EPSG though. In the PROJ distribution the data from the EPSG registry is reworked into our own database that has a slightly different structure. The data is not modified otherwise. The data from the EPSG is currently put under the same license (MIT) as the rest of the PROJ source distribution. Personally I believe that what we are doing is within the terms of use of the EPSG registry. This has been confirmed by the Debian organization which I regard as a stamp of approval, since those guys tend to be rather strict when it comes to licensing. The reasoning by the Debian folks is available in the incubation application [1].

As for the incubation process itself, I think it has gone rather smoothly. Over the last couple of years PROJ has matured quite a bit organizationally, having most of the requirements for incubation in place long before the application was submitted. Filling out the incubation checklist was fairly simple, although it is a long list to go through. For PROJ it was mostly a case of documenting already established procedures and we haven’t really had to make a lot of changes to comply with the incubation requirements. The most tedious job was the Provenance Review, but since we’ve always been using a very permissive license no surprises showed up.

/Kristian

[0] https://proj.org/community/code_of_conduct.html

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2268

Re: proj graduation discussion

Michael Smith
Sorry, I missed the last message, didn't realize you were waiting on an assessment from me.

I would agree with Kristian that the PROJ incubation process was very smooth. As stated, PROJ is not a new project as has been foundational for Open Source projects for years. It was the recent efforts of people like Kristian and the rest of the PSC to move to a bigger community of contributors and having an actual PSC were key factors in making PROJ a real OSGeo Project in full standing.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
OSGeo Treasurer

The first is addressed here https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2019-October/008931.html.

I’ve added the logo and various links to the http://osgeo.org page. Better descriptions

- http://proj.org/ (this looks *great* congrats, and thanks for including the osgeo community logo)
- https://www.osgeo.org/projects/proj4/ <-- this needs a fair bit of work (like a logo, website link, issue tracker, downloads, ...)
- https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2268
- https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/wiki/Incubation-checklist - we need a code of conduct somewhere (I just checked the repo).

With respect to code of conduct, this is a new requirement from the board and the incubation committee has not yet updated our checklist.
--
Jody Garnett

Jody Garnett

Re: proj graduation discussion

Kristian Evers-2
All,

I'd like to remind you that the vote for PROJ graduation ends tomorrow. The votes so far are

- Bruce Bannerman
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
- Howard Butler
- Arnulf Christl +1
- Jo Cook +1
- Jody Garnett
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis +1 seconded
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix
- Mark Lucas
- Michael Smith +1 initial motion
- Steve Lime
- Daniel Morissette +1
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter

Which is 5 of a possible 15 votes. As 50% in favour of PROJ graduation is required, +1's from
at least three more members of the incubation committee is needed. I hope that is achievable
so that PROJ can finally become a full project in the OSGeo family.

Thank you,
Kristian

Re: proj graduation discussion

Cameron Shorter
+1 Cameron

On 30/10/19 7:01 pm, Kristian Evers wrote:

> All,
>
> I'd like to remind you that the vote for PROJ graduation ends tomorrow. The votes so far are
>
> - Bruce Bannerman
> - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
> - Howard Butler
> - Arnulf Christl +1
> - Jo Cook +1
> - Jody Garnett
> - Dimitris Kotzinos
> - Tom Kralidis +1 seconded
> - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
> - Mark Lucas
> - Michael Smith +1 initial motion
> - Steve Lime
> - Daniel Morissette +1
> - Markus Schneider
> - Cameron Shorter
>
> Which is 5 of a possible 15 votes. As 50% in favour of PROJ graduation is required, +1's from
> at least three more members of the incubation committee is needed. I hope that is achievable
> so that PROJ can finally become a full project in the OSGeo family.
>
> Thank you,
> Kristian

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: proj graduation discussion

Michael Smith
I'd like to encourage everyone to vote on this motion. This is PROJ, about as foundation an OSGeo project as there is. We really need to graduate PROJ to a full OSGeo project.

Mike

--
Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer

    On 30/10/19 7:01 pm, Kristian Evers wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I'd like to remind you that the vote for PROJ graduation ends tomorrow. The votes so far are
    >
    > - Bruce Bannerman
    > - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
    > - Howard Butler
    > - Arnulf Christl +1
    > - Jo Cook +1
    > - Jody Garnett
    > - Dimitris Kotzinos
    > - Tom Kralidis +1 seconded
    > - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
    > - Mark Lucas
    > - Michael Smith +1 initial motion
    > - Steve Lime
    > - Daniel Morissette +1
    > - Markus Schneider
    > - Cameron Shorter
    >
    > Which is 5 of a possible 15 votes. As 50% in favour of PROJ graduation is required, +1's from
    > at least three more members of the incubation committee is needed. I hope that is achievable
    > so that PROJ can finally become a full project in the OSGeo family.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Kristian

    Cameron Shorter
    Technology Demystifier

    M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: proj graduation discussion

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
+1

Julien

Le 19-10-30 à 04 h 01, Kristian Evers a écrit :

> All,
>
> I'd like to remind you that the vote for PROJ graduation ends tomorrow. The votes so far are
>
> - Bruce Bannerman
> - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
> - Howard Butler
> - Arnulf Christl +1
> - Jo Cook +1
> - Jody Garnett
> - Dimitris Kotzinos
> - Tom Kralidis +1 seconded
> - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
> - Mark Lucas
> - Michael Smith +1 initial motion
> - Steve Lime
> - Daniel Morissette +1
> - Markus Schneider
> - Cameron Shorter
>
> Which is 5 of a possible 15 votes. As 50% in favour of PROJ graduation is required, +1's from
> at least three more members of the incubation committee is needed. I hope that is achievable
> so that PROJ can finally become a full project in the OSGeo family.
>
> Thank you,
> Kristian

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
T: +1 418-696-5056 #202
Mapgears

Re: proj graduation discussion

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)
+1 as well...
This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

________________________________

--
Julien-Samuel Lacroix
T: +1 418-696-5056 #202
https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.osgeo.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fincubator&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csteve.lime%40state.mn.us%7C246ac01d772040820ca108d75e3f735c%7Ceb14b04624c445198f26b89c2159828c%7C0%7C1%7C637081498920192797&amp;sdata=r5D5tAI0FxSSOgokws8M9iYmOiQIey1mVBVcn7%2FGek0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: proj graduation discussion

Kristian Evers-2

Thanks for your votes, everyone! If I am not mistaken the final tally looks like

- Bruce Bannerman
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
- Howard Butler | Ineligible, member of PROJ PSC
- Arnulf Christl +1
- Jo Cook +1
- Jody Garnett +1
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis +1 seconded
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix +1
- Mark Lucas
- Michael Smith +1 initial motion
- Steve Lime +1
- Daniel Morissette +1
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter +1

Which brings the total number of +1’s to 9 out of 14 possible votes. That is well over the 50% mark. I believe that means that PROJ has graduated as an OSGeo project! So, what’s next?

/Kristian

Re: proj graduation discussion

Bruce Bannerman-3
+1 from me too

Sorry, I have been offline for a while.

Bruce

On 6 Nov 2019, at 18:35, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Next steps :)

1) Let the board know the project has completed graduation requirements and attend the board meeting at the end of the month :)
2) It would be handy if the newly appointed project officer is there to answer questions. If there is any use for a 2019 budget it could be supplied during that meeting.

aside This should be the first meeting of the new board lineup so this will be an exciting way to start out.

I will send the notification to the board list now so this topic will be added to the agenda.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:35 PM Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jody! I will do my best to attend the board meeting.

/Kristian