proj 4.9.1 released

Howard Butler-3
All,

proj 4.9.1 is released as approved by the MetaCRS list. It cumulates a number of bug fixes and small updates, and it went through five release candidates before being declared final.

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.1.tar.gz

Thanks,

Howard

> o 4.9.0RC2 release was abandoned because it was not promoted in a
>   timely fashion. Subsequent maintenance of tickets has continued,
>   and a new 4.9.1 release was issued in its place.
>
> o Implement inverse solution for Winkel Tripel from Drazan Tutic #250
>
> o More CMake configuration tweaks. The CMake configuration is probably
>   not at feature parity with the autotools builds at this point but it
>   is converging #256
>
> o Tweak initialization ordering around setlocal which may have caused
>   issues #237
>
> o Support out-of-tree autoconf builds more completely #247
>
> o Fix NaN handling by geod_inverse and geod_polygon_addedge #251 & #253
>
> o Update config.sub and config.guess #257
>
> o Adapt Charles Karney's CMake patches for smoother build #258
>
> o Define default PROJ_LIB location for CMake compilation #261
>
> o Fix Windows compilation on PJ_aitoff.c
>
> o Align CMake SOVERSION with autotools #263
>
> o Regenerate nad/epsg with GDAL r28536 to avoid precision loss in TOWGS84
>   parameters, e.g. on Amersfoort / RD EPSG:4289 (#260)
>
> o Add CMake project-config.cmake scripts (#264 from Charles Karney)
>
> o Dial back test sensitivity #255

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

Charles Karney
Thanks Howard!  Don't forget to update the download links on

   http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/WikiStart

On 2015-03-10 15:44, Howard Butler wrote:

> All,
>
> proj 4.9.1 is released as approved by the MetaCRS list. It cumulates a number of bug fixes and small updates, and it went through five release candidates before being declared final.
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.1.tar.gz
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard
>
>> o 4.9.0RC2 release was abandoned because it was not promoted in a
>>    timely fashion. Subsequent maintenance of tickets has continued,
>>    and a new 4.9.1 release was issued in its place.
>>
>> o Implement inverse solution for Winkel Tripel from Drazan Tutic #250
>>
>> o More CMake configuration tweaks. The CMake configuration is probably
>>    not at feature parity with the autotools builds at this point but it
>>    is converging #256
>>
>> o Tweak initialization ordering around setlocal which may have caused
>>    issues #237
>>
>> o Support out-of-tree autoconf builds more completely #247
>>
>> o Fix NaN handling by geod_inverse and geod_polygon_addedge #251 & #253
>>
>> o Update config.sub and config.guess #257
>>
>> o Adapt Charles Karney's CMake patches for smoother build #258
>>
>> o Define default PROJ_LIB location for CMake compilation #261
>>
>> o Fix Windows compilation on PJ_aitoff.c
>>
>> o Align CMake SOVERSION with autotools #263
>>
>> o Regenerate nad/epsg with GDAL r28536 to avoid precision loss in TOWGS84
>>    parameters, e.g. on Amersfoort / RD EPSG:4289 (#260)
>>
>> o Add CMake project-config.cmake scripts (#264 from Charles Karney)
>>
>> o Dial back test sensitivity #255

Charles Karney <[hidden email]>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

rgreenwood
Nice work Howard, et al.

On 2015-03-10 15:44, Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> proj 4.9.1 is released as approved by the MetaCRS list. It cumulates a number of bug fixes and small updates, and it went through five release candidates before being declared final.
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.1.tar.gz
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard
>
>> o 4.9.0RC2 release was abandoned because it was not promoted in a
>>    timely fashion. Subsequent maintenance of tickets has continued,
>>    and a new 4.9.1 release was issued in its place.
>>
>> o Implement inverse solution for Winkel Tripel from Drazan Tutic #250
>>
>> o More CMake configuration tweaks. The CMake configuration is probably
>>    not at feature parity with the autotools builds at this point but it
>>    is converging #256
>>
>> o Tweak initialization ordering around setlocal which may have caused
>>    issues #237
>>
>> o Support out-of-tree autoconf builds more completely #247
>>
>> o Fix NaN handling by geod_inverse and geod_polygon_addedge #251 & #253
>>
>> o Update config.sub and config.guess #257
>>
>> o Adapt Charles Karney's CMake patches for smoother build #258
>>
>> o Define default PROJ_LIB location for CMake compilation #261
>>
>> o Fix Windows compilation on PJ_aitoff.c
>>
>> o Align CMake SOVERSION with autotools #263
>>
>> o Regenerate nad/epsg with GDAL r28536 to avoid precision loss in TOWGS84
>>    parameters, e.g. on Amersfoort / RD EPSG:4289 (#260)
>>
>> o Add CMake project-config.cmake scripts (#264 from Charles Karney)
>>
>> o Dial back test sensitivity #255

Charles Karney <[hidden email]>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B1%20609%20734%202312" value="+16097342312">+1 609 734 2312
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B1%20609%20734%202662" value="+16097342662">+1 609 734 2662

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

Sisyphus

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

Howard Butler-3

> On Mar 11, 2015, at 7:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I notice that projects.h is being installed again by 'make install'. Was
> that intended ?
> If so, it's a welcome re-introduction.
> IIRC, recent builds of proj stopped installing projects.h because it was
> considered non-public API.
> No big deal ... just curious. I kept on (manually) installing projects.h,
> anyway.

It was put back for 4.9.0, but we didn't actually have that release :)
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/220

> I've just built 4.9.1 on native MS Windows using a variety of mingw ports of
> 32-bit and 64-bit gcc compilers - using autotools in the msys shell.
> (I hope that autotools support is here to stay for a while yet - that there
> are no plans to soon *replace* it with cmake.)

There is no intention to replace autotools with CMake. The CMake stuff is in addition to the autoconf build support, which has been there for eons, and it will continue to stay as painful as possible, as always. I will say there is some intention to replace the hand-rolled MSVC nmake scripts with CMake :), but the audience for that is predictably quite small.

Howard

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

J Luis

> There is no intention to replace autotools with CMake. The CMake stuff
> is in addition to the autoconf build support, which has been there for
> eons, and it will continue to stay as painful as possible, as always.

> I will say there is some intention to replace the hand-rolled MSVC nmake
> scripts with CMake :), but the audience for that is predictably quite
> small.

And even there, please let it be as is. After an initial tweak of
nmake.opt I just do

nmake /f makefile.vc install-all

can't be simpler than that.

Joaquim

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

Howard Butler-3

> On Mar 11, 2015, at 8:51 AM, Joaquim Luis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I will say there is some intention to replace the hand-rolled MSVC nmake scripts with CMake :), but the audience for that is predictably quite small.
>

> And even there, please let it be as is. After an initial tweak of nmake.opt I just do

We will let it be for sure, but expect it to lag as there's no developers doing windows builds that way anymore. If you want to keep building that way, keep filing tickets with patches to keep things maintained.

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

pelson
Congratulations to everybody involved. It is great to have this release out - there are some really nice additions in v4.9.

Thanks for all the hard work!

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:04:41 -0000, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Mar 11, 2015, at 8:51 AM, Joaquim Luis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I will say there is some intention to replace the hand-rolled MSVC
>>> nmake scripts with CMake :), but the audience for that is predictably
>>> quite small.
>>

>> And even there, please let it be as is. After an initial tweak of
>> nmake.opt I just do
>
> We will let it be for sure, but expect it to lag as there's no
> developers doing windows builds that way anymore. If you want to keep
> building that way, keep filing tickets with patches to keep things
> maintained.

But it still builds the same binaries as the cmake solution, doesn't it?

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

Devrim GÜNDÜZ-2

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 14:44 -0500, Howard Butler wrote:
> proj 4.9.1 is released as approved by the MetaCRS list. It cumulates a
> number of bug fixes and small updates, and it went through five
> release candidates before being declared final.
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.1.tar.gz

Awesome, thanks! I again want to confirm that it builds fine with Fedora
21, 22 and 23, where 23 contains GCC 5.0.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: proj 4.9.1 released

pelson
I should have said, I've now successfully built this on 64-bit Ubuntu, OSX, Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit (via travis-ci and Appveyor) without any changes to the build process from v4.8.
(for reference, the build details are at https://github.com/SciTools/conda-recipes-scitools/pull/60)

Hi,