procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Moritz Lennert
Hi all,

Please find attached a first draft of the bylaws of the asbl/vzw. I've
used a model from [1] to draft this. They are in French as this was
easier for me than in Dutch. I don't think we could elaborate them in
English.

Please read through them. I've highlighted several parts and included
some questions. Please react.

In order to officially constitute the organisation, we have to

- file these bylaws and the register of members at the "greffe du
tribunal de commerce"
- publish the bylaws and the list of board members in the "Moniteur"

The costs for this procedure are 181,50€.

We should probably have a legal expert read the bylaws before we file
them, just to make sure we respect all aspects of the law and won't have
to modify them soon (which would mean additional costs). I can see if I
can convince some of my contacts to do this, but if you have competent
people around you, please tell me.

Another good source of information on asbl (in French) is [2].

Moritz

[1] http://www.laboiteasbl.be/
[2] http://www.assoc.be/

OSGEO-be_Statuts.odt (31K) Download Attachment

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

dirkf
Hi all,

My2c comments in the document.

Dirk

On 21-06-15 18:30, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please find attached a first draft of the bylaws of the asbl/vzw. I've
> used a model from [1] to draft this. They are in French as this was
> easier for me than in Dutch. I don't think we could elaborate them in
> English.
>
> Please read through them. I've highlighted several parts and included
> some questions. Please react.
>
> In order to officially constitute the organisation, we have to
>
> - file these bylaws and the register of members at the "greffe du
> tribunal de commerce"
> - publish the bylaws and the list of board members in the "Moniteur"
>
> The costs for this procedure are 181,50€.
>
> We should probably have a legal expert read the bylaws before we file
> them, just to make sure we respect all aspects of the law and won't have
> to modify them soon (which would mean additional costs). I can see if I
> can convince some of my contacts to do this, but if you have competent
> people around you, please tell me.
>
> Another good source of information on asbl (in French) is [2].
>
> Moritz
>
> [1] http://www.laboiteasbl.be/
> [2] http://www.assoc.be/

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

OSGEO-be_Statuts.odt (69K) Download Attachment

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Tommy Oozeer
Hello everyone,

I have also added my comments in the doc.

Regards.

Tommy

On 21-06-15 18:30, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please find attached a first draft of the bylaws of the asbl/vzw. I've
> used a model from [1] to draft this. They are in French as this was
> easier for me than in Dutch. I don't think we could elaborate them in
> English.
>
> Please read through them. I've highlighted several parts and included
> some questions. Please react.
>
> In order to officially constitute the organisation, we have to
>
> - file these bylaws and the register of members at the "greffe du
> tribunal de commerce"
> - publish the bylaws and the list of board members in the "Moniteur"
>
> The costs for this procedure are 181,50€.
>
> We should probably have a legal expert read the bylaws before we file
> them, just to make sure we respect all aspects of the law and won't
> have to modify them soon (which would mean additional costs). I can
> see if I can convince some of my contacts to do this, but if you have
> competent people around you, please tell me.
>
> Another good source of information on asbl (in French) is [2].
>
> Moritz
>
> [1] http://www.laboiteasbl.be/
> [2] http://www.assoc.be/

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

OSGEO-be_Statuts.odt (29K) Download Attachment

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Moritz Lennert-6
Dear all,

Here is a revised version of the "statuts", allowing for two types of
members and integrating some of the other comments.

To be discussed (cf comments in the text):

- Who wants to be founding member ?
- Who wants to be part of the board ?
- Where should we localize the association ? I offer my home address if
there is no other solution.

- Should "effective" (i.e. charter) members have to pay an annual
contribution ?
- Should members be physical persons or can moral persons (associations,
companies, etc) be members ?
- How should non charer members (i.e. "members adérents") become
members: I propose to mimick OSGeo central and allow registration via
the web site.

Moritz

OSGEO-be_Statuts_twotypesofmembers.odt (32K) Download Attachment

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

dirkf
Moritz,

> - Where should we localize the association ?
If you live in Brussels, then your home address is a good option.
I still wait for an alternative, as I asked Gael offline if there is a
possibility we use the address of IBGE as the main seat.

I suggest to also accept moral persons. At the Flemish association for
GIS (Flagis)[1] where I am the secratary, we have sponsor members,
'moral persons' members and physical person members. 3 different member
fees: 750/Year, 250/Year, 20 /Year).

For OSGeo, I am still in favor to provide *free* membership, as there is
a discussion on the [discuss] mailing list [2]. They even pointed to our
initiative for the problem of membership fees:

"
Regarding changing from an open OSGeo membership (nothing at the
moment), to charging a membership fee, I am in fact for continuing as an
open/free organization.  I do however see some issues with our old
bylaws, and Arnulf mentioned our USA-based status, and there has been
recent talk again of a registered satellite organization such as through
an OSGeo Europe.  (this will likely be discussed more in Como)
"

So I agree to mimic the rules that apply for OSGeo.

Dirk

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/pub/flagis-vzw/85/517/32b
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-July/014419.html

On 02-07-15 13:35, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Here is a revised version of the "statuts", allowing for two types of
> members and integrating some of the other comments.
>
> To be discussed (cf comments in the text):
>
> - Who wants to be founding member ?
> - Who wants to be part of the board ?
> - Where should we localize the association ? I offer my home address if
> there is no other solution.
>
> - Should "effective" (i.e. charter) members have to pay an annual
> contribution ?
> - Should members be physical persons or can moral persons (associations,
> companies, etc) be members ?
> - How should non charer members (i.e. "members adérents") become
> members: I propose to mimick OSGeo central and allow registration via
> the web site.
>
> Moritz
>
> On 22/06/15 12:07, Tommy Oozeer wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have also added my comments in the doc.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Tommy

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Johan Van de Wauw
Some comments on the proposal:

This are our statutes, which are hard to change. You mostly need them
when things go bad, so when reading them this is what you should keep
in mind.

Note that I found it difficult reading this in French, so I may miss
some things.
I would make it easier for the board to remove "adherent members",
especially since it is very easy to become one. I'd suggest that the
board can reject or remove them, and that once rejected/removed they
can be only be added by a general assembly if proposed by one of the
effective members and after a vote.

Eg spam registrations, errors, ... can be handled this way. I don't
think the board will go light on removing a member if there is a good
reason.

But perhaps it is even better to leave all of this for the " règlement
d'ordre intérieur , since adherent members don't have any official
rights.

Thinking about whether companies can be members: I think we should
rather think about having a sponsored membership for these members.
But again, I'm not sure we should do this in the statutes - those are
hard to change.

Kind Regards,
Johan

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moritz,
>
>> - Where should we localize the association ?
> If you live in Brussels, then your home address is a good option.
> I still wait for an alternative, as I asked Gael offline if there is a
> possibility we use the address of IBGE as the main seat.
>
> I suggest to also accept moral persons. At the Flemish association for
> GIS (Flagis)[1] where I am the secratary, we have sponsor members,
> 'moral persons' members and physical person members. 3 different member
> fees: 750/Year, 250/Year, 20 /Year).
>
> For OSGeo, I am still in favor to provide *free* membership, as there is
> a discussion on the [discuss] mailing list [2]. They even pointed to our
> initiative for the problem of membership fees:
>
> "
> Regarding changing from an open OSGeo membership (nothing at the
> moment), to charging a membership fee, I am in fact for continuing as an
> open/free organization.  I do however see some issues with our old
> bylaws, and Arnulf mentioned our USA-based status, and there has been
> recent talk again of a registered satellite organization such as through
> an OSGeo Europe.  (this will likely be discussed more in Como)
> "
>
> So I agree to mimic the rules that apply for OSGeo.
>
> Dirk
>

> [1] https://www.linkedin.com/pub/flagis-vzw/85/517/32b
> [2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-July/014419.html
>

> On 02-07-15 13:35, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Here is a revised version of the "statuts", allowing for two types of
>> members and integrating some of the other comments.
>>
>> To be discussed (cf comments in the text):
>>
>> - Who wants to be founding member ?
>> - Who wants to be part of the board ?
>> - Where should we localize the association ? I offer my home address if
>> there is no other solution.
>>
>> - Should "effective" (i.e. charter) members have to pay an annual
>> contribution ?
>> - Should members be physical persons or can moral persons (associations,
>> companies, etc) be members ?
>> - How should non charer members (i.e. "members adérents") become
>> members: I propose to mimick OSGeo central and allow registration via
>> the web site.
>>
>> Moritz
>>
>> On 22/06/15 12:07, Tommy Oozeer wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I have also added my comments in the doc.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> Tommy

Maelle Vercauteren
Marc asked to Osgeo-fr about the « why they only accept individuals »
I would like to convey the answer because Marc is in full translation sprint this week and may not have much time left.

The idea is to be able to keep a certain neutrality with respect to companies and individuals involved. Of course this does not prevent an individual from a company X to participate in OSGeo - fr and not being neutral. But it helps...They want at that time strongly keep a balance between the different "groups" (user, researcher and trading company ), each having their own interest but also a common interest in life and dynamics of the open source geomatics community.

Kinds Regards,
Maë//e

N.B: For your information, below the complete answer in French.
"bonjour,

L'idée de départ était de pouvoir garder une certaine neutralité vis à vis des
sociétés et d'impliquer les personnes physiques.

Bien sur cela n'empêche pas une personne physique d'une société X de
participer à l'OSGeo-fr et de ne pas être neutre. Mais cela permet d'avoir un
certain garde fou.

Avec le recul on voit que ce sont les sociétés commerciales qui ont le plus
d'intérêt et de volonté de s'impliquer dans ce genre de communauté. Peut être
car elles sont plus d'expériences en la matière du fait de leur implication
dans des projets open source.

Nous souhaitions à l'époque vivement garder un équilibre entre les différents
"groupes" (utilisateur, recherche et société commerciale), chacun ayant leur
intérêt propre mais également un intérêt commun dans la vie et la dynamique
d'une communauté open source en géomatique.

Aucune solution ne sera convenable et sera dans tous les cas un subtils
mélanges du contexte, du risque de déséquilibre réel ou ressenti.

Dans tous les cas, il faut une certaine neutralité et des forces vives
dynamiques :)

Yves Jacolin"

> [...]

>> members and integrating some of the other comments.
>>
>> To be discussed (cf comments in the text):
>>
>> - Who wants to be founding member ?
>> - Who wants to be part of the board ?
>> - Where should we localize the association ? I offer my home address if
>> there is no other solution.
>>
>> - Should "effective" (i.e. charter) members have to pay an annual
>> contribution ?
>> - Should members be physical persons or can moral persons (associations,
>> companies, etc) be members ?
>> - How should non charer members (i.e. "members adérents") become
>> members: I propose to mimick OSGeo central and allow registration via
>> the web site.
>>
>> Moritz
>>
>> On 22/06/15 12:07, Tommy Oozeer wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I have also added my comments in the doc.

Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Ben Abelshausen
Hi,

The OpenStreetMap Foundation discussed similar issues a while back and now they have corporate memberships, without voting rights but you can say, as a company, that you support the foundation:

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership#Corporate_Members

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen

Re: procedure for official creation of asbl/vzw: proposed bylaws

Marc Ducobu-2
Thanks Maëlle for the report :)

On 08/07/15 09:29, Maelle Vercauteren wrote:

> [...]
>     >> - Where should we localize the association ? I offer my home
>     address if
>     >> there is no other solution.
>     >>
>     >> - Should "effective" (i.e. charter) members have to pay an annual
>     >> contribution ?
>     >> - Should members be physical persons or can moral persons
>     (associations,
>     >> companies, etc) be members ?
>     >> - How should non charer members (i.e. "members adérents") become
>     >> members: I propose to mimick OSGeo central and allow registration via
>     >> the web site.
>     >>
>     >> Moritz
>     >>
>     >> On 22/06/15 12:07, Tommy Oozeer wrote:
>     >>> Hello everyone,
>     >>>
>     >>> I have also added my comments in the doc.

Marc Ducobu
Champs Libres
http://www.champs-libres.coop
+32 494 91 52 47

Champs Libres Cooperative SCRLFS
Rue Jean Bury 23 - 4000 Liège - Belgique
BE0541.427.670