problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Antonello Moneta
Hello,

I have tried to to deploy geoserver.war (v1.7.2) under my system
tomcat5.0.30/ubuntu 6.06 TLS but ) I got this error:

GRAVE: Error reading tld listeners javax.servlet.ServletException:
Exception processing TLD at resource path /WE
B-INF/struts-tiles.tld in context /geoserver
javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception processing TLD at resource
path /WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld in context /
geoserver
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.tldScanTld(TldConfig.java:549)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig.execute(TldConfig.java:301)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.processTlds(StandardContext.java:4412)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4266)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:823)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.access$0(ContainerBase.java:121)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$PrivilegedAddChild.run(ContainerBase.java:143)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:805)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:595)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.java:277)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:832)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:701)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:432)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:983)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:349)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1091)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:789)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1083)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:478)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:480)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2313)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
24-feb-2009 10.15.24 org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement
GRAVE: End event threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
 org.apache.log4j.LogManager (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.apache.lo
g4j.LogManager)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:538)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:209)

Googling around I read that is a possible problem with version of
taglib xml format. Anyone can give me same hint how to resolve this
problem?
should I have to change the tomcat version?

Thank you really much in advance.
Best regards Antonello

--
Perché una società vada bene si muova nel progresso, nell'esaltazione
dei valori della famiglia, dello spirito, del bene, dell'amicizia,

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

aaime
Antonello Moneta wrote:

> [...]
> 24-feb-2009 10.15.24 org.apache.commons.digester.Digester endElement
> GRAVE: End event threw exception
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
>  org.apache.log4j.LogManager (Caused by
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
> org.apache.lo
> g4j.LogManager)
>         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:538)
>         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
>         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:209)
>
> Googling around I read that is a possible problem with version of
> taglib xml format. Anyone can give me same hint how to resolve this
> problem?
> should I have to change the tomcat version?

Mumble, don't remember seen this problem, but yeah, try installing your
own version of tomcat, don't use the one shipped with the distribution,
as it's usually crippled in a number of ways.

Also, make sure you're using a Sun Java runtime, stay away from gcj or
openjdk, as GeoServer won't work with them (generally speaking, try to
get the latest JDK release you can put your hands on, as they get
faster every release).

Cheers
Andrae

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Antonello Moneta
Thank you, for the help!

I resolved the problem using tomcat 6.0.18, and installing it
manually. I tried also in windows environment using tomcat5.5 and I
couldn't deploy geoserver neither. I think this issue is caused from
tomcat version. I will add a comment in geoserver install guide, in
the war file section.

Thank you again for your fast answer.

Best regards Antonello.

Antonello Moneta wrote:
> Thank you, for the help!
>
> I resolved the problem using tomcat 6.0.18, and installing it
> manually. I tried also in windows environment using tomcat5.5 and I
> couldn't deploy geoserver neither. I think this issue is caused from
> tomcat version. I will add a comment in geoserver install guide, in
> the war file section.

Strange, I definitely use GeoServer on some Tomcat 5.5 version and it
works just fine? I'm offsite so I don't remember the precise version
of Tomcat thought.

Cheers
Andrea

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Stefano Iacovella
Antonello on ubuntu and windows which jdk are you using to run Tomcat 5.5 ?

I wonder if more than tomcat version jvm version could be the difference.
Could you make a try deployng a tomcat 5.5 on the linux bos where you have the geoserver running on the tomcat 6.0.18 ?
Of course using the same jdk on both Tomcat.

2009/2/24 Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>
Antonello Moneta wrote:
> Thank you, for the help!
>
> I resolved the problem using tomcat 6.0.18, and installing it
> manually. I tried also in windows environment using tomcat5.5 and I
> couldn't deploy geoserver neither. I think this issue is caused from
> tomcat version. I will add a comment in geoserver install guide, in
> the war file section.

Strange, I definitely use GeoServer on some Tomcat 5.5 version and it
works just fine? I'm offsite so I don't remember the precise version
of Tomcat thought.

Cheers
Andrea

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Antonello Moneta
Sorry Stefano, you mean try a deploy geoserver in a tomcat5.5 in the
same linux box and same jdk where now I am using tomcat6.0.18, right?

2009/2/24 Stefano Iacovella <[hidden email]>:

> Antonello on ubuntu and windows which jdk are you using to run Tomcat 5.5 ?
>
> I wonder if more than tomcat version jvm version could be the difference.
> Could you make a try deployng a tomcat 5.5 on the linux bos where you have the geoserver running on the tomcat 6.0.18 ?
> Of course using the same jdk on both Tomcat.
>

> 2009/2/24 Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Antonello Moneta wrote:
>> > Thank you, for the help!
>> >
>> > I resolved the problem using tomcat 6.0.18, and installing it
>> > manually. I tried also in windows environment using tomcat5.5 and I
>> > couldn't deploy geoserver neither. I think this issue is caused from
>> > tomcat version. I will add a comment in geoserver install guide, in
>> > the war file section.
>>
>> Strange, I definitely use GeoServer on some Tomcat 5.5 version and it
>> works just fine? I'm offsite so I don't remember the precise version
>> of Tomcat thought.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrea

Perché una società vada bene si muova nel progresso, nell'esaltazione
dei valori della famiglia, dello spirito, del bene, dell'amicizia,
perché prosperi senza contrasti, per avviarsi serena nel cammino verso
un domani migliore basta che ognuno faccia il suo dovere.
Giovanni Falcone

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Stefano Iacovella
Yes

I guess geoserver should be run on the tomcat 5.5 as on Tomcat 6.0.18

Which jdk release are you using?

2009/2/24 Antonello Moneta <[hidden email]>
Sorry Stefano, you mean try a deploy geoserver in a tomcat5.5 in the
same linux box and same jdk where now I am using tomcat6.0.18, right?

2009/2/24 Stefano Iacovella <[hidden email]>:
> Antonello on ubuntu and windows which jdk are you using to run Tomcat 5.5 ?
>
> I wonder if more than tomcat version jvm version could be the difference.
> Could you make a try deployng a tomcat 5.5 on the linux bos where you have the geoserver running on the tomcat 6.0.18 ?
> Of course using the same jdk on both Tomcat.
>

> 2009/2/24 Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Antonello Moneta wrote:
>> > Thank you, for the help!
>> >
>> > I resolved the problem using tomcat 6.0.18, and installing it
>> > manually. I tried also in windows environment using tomcat5.5 and I
>> > couldn't deploy geoserver neither. I think this issue is caused from
>> > tomcat version. I will add a comment in geoserver install guide, in
>> > the war file section.
>>
>> Strange, I definitely use GeoServer on some Tomcat 5.5 version and it
>> works just fine? I'm offsite so I don't remember the precise version
>> of Tomcat thought.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrea

Perché una società vada bene si muova nel progresso, nell'esaltazione
dei valori della famiglia, dello spirito, del bene, dell'amicizia,
perché prosperi senza contrasti, per avviarsi serena nel cammino verso
un domani migliore basta che ognuno faccia il suo dovere.
Giovanni Falcone

Re: problems to deploy geoserver 1.7.2 under tomcat5/ubuntu 6.06 TLS

Antonello Moneta
I am using (build 1.6.0-b105). As soon as I can do this proof I'll
advice you about the resalt.

Thank you really much, Antonello.