presentation videos

John Bryant
Hi all, I can't remember if I've told everyone yet, but all presentation videos are now finished and posted. A few quick notes:

  • one video was not published by request of the presenter

  • total published: 51 videos, 8.26 GB

  • published with CC-BY licence

  • videos are posted on the FOSS4G SotM Oceania YouTube channel [1] and embedded in the website [2]

  • Also to be hosted at TIB [3]

[1] https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCbqmnF77HxLCmO9d7LrEbpg/videos

[2] https://foss4g-oceania.org/videos

[3] https://av.tib.eu

They are getting a lot of views - I think Nyall's 'QGIS for Exploratory Data Analysis and Visualisation' is #1 right now with 249 views... so I feel we're successfully reaching the broader audience, which makes it all seem worth it :)

If no one objects, I'll grab a handful of USB thumb drives and make a few copies to send to our friends in low-bandwidth areas (esp Pacific Islands), will aim to do that this weekend so the expense falls in with the current event financials. Greg would you be keen to help me distribute these?

Cheers
John

Re: presentation videos

Martin Tomko

Great idea, and beautifully produced – please thank the Video guys!

M.

Re: presentation videos

Greg Lauer
Well done!

I will get some addresses for each country to send some USB stick to. How hard would it be to archive the web site and put that on the stick as well?

Cheers

Greg

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:02 PM John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Web site would be pretty easy - just tested it out with HTTrack, which pulls it all down as HTML, and it works like a charm.

I think we should give it a once over and make any final changes for how we want the website to look long-term, then we can pull down the final HTML, and replace the current Drupal site with the HTML version... that'll be a more stable way to keep it for posterity, long term. If anyone has any thoughts on final changes to the website, I'll aim to wrap those up this weekend as well and make the archive.

Cheers
John

Re: presentation videos

Andrew Harvey

+1 to doing that and then archiving it at 2018.foss4g-oceania.org, freeing up the main site for 2019.

Re: presentation videos

adam steer-2
good stuff John! And great idea about the USB drives for videos.

+1 to everything.

Cheers

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 17:15, Greg Lauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, at 4:49 PM, John Bryant wrote:
Web site would be pretty easy - just tested it out with HTTrack, which pulls it all down as HTML, and it works like a charm.

I think we should give it a once over and make any final changes for how we want the website to look long-term, then we can pull down the final HTML, and replace the current Drupal site with the HTML version... that'll be a more stable way to keep it for posterity, long term. If anyone has any thoughts on final changes to the website, I'll aim to wrap those up this weekend as well and make the archive.

+1 to doing that and then archiving it at 2018.foss4g-oceania.org, freeing up the main site for 2019.

Re: presentation videos

Cameron Shorter

+1. The tool you are looking for to archive a website is "wget -r -k -np <url>" (Check the parameters, I'm quoting from memory).

On 7/12/18 12:40 am, Alex Leith wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254