preferences file

David Hildebrand
Can anyone point me to documentation on the structure of elevation files for the preferences?  I want to use my existing elevation data (which are now in ArcInfo GRID format but could easily be converted to GeoTIFF) which are actually derived from SRTM.  I have the line "elevation_manager.elevation_source1.type: general_raster_directory" in my preferences file and the connection string which points to the data set.  However, the elevation source is not being read properly for the "ossim-info --height" command.

Thanks.

============================
David Hildebrand
403-782-8239

Re: preferences file

Norman Vine

On Dec 20, 2010, at 10:09 PM, David Hildebrand wrote:

Can anyone point me to documentation on the structure of elevation files for the preferences?  I want to use my existing elevation data (which are now in ArcInfo GRID format but could easily be converted to GeoTIFF) which are actually derived from SRTM.  I have the line "elevation_manager.elevation_source1.type: general_raster_directory" in my preferences file and the connection string which points to the data set.  However, the elevation source is not being read properly for the "ossim-info --height" command.

This should help

see http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/formats for general raster types

If you have the original SRTM files I recommend using them

hth

Norman

Re: preferences file

David Hildebrand

Norman:

The documentation is unclear on how to structure the data files so that OSSIM will understand.  For example, what is the naming convention by which OSSIM understands that a particular file is elevation rather than, say, a satellite image?  Are all the files placed in a particular “general_raster_directory” considered as elevation files?  To my knowledge GDAL does not understand the file type by file name extension alone.  How do I specify that elevation files in a particular “general_raster_directory” are, say, ArcInfo GRID files?

Thanks.

===========================
David V. Hildebrand
Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
(403) 782-8239

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact Agriculture Financial Services Corporation immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Re: preferences file

David Burken
David,
The elevation manager only reads dted, general raster and srtm(which is really just a raster).

If you have a general_raster_directory then the raster file inside must have a header file so we know how to read it.  It will not read ArcInfo Grid files.  You must convert to srtm or gen ras.

Since your files started out as srtm I suggest doing what Norm suggested.  Using them natively.  The easiest way to handle srtm is just put them in a directory all of the same resolution and then add the entry to your preferences like below.

// Notes
// 1) this assumes OSSIM_DATA is set:
// 2) Always put your best resolution first:

elevation_manager.elevation_source1.connection_string: $(OSSIM_DATA)/elevation/srtm/1arc
elevation_manager.elevation_source1.type: srtm_directory
elevation_manager.elevation_source1.min_open_cells: 25
elevation_manager.elevation_source1.max_open_cells: 50
elevation_manager.elevation_source1.memory_map_cells: false
elevation_manager.elevation_source1.geoid.type: geoid1996

elevation_manager.elevation_source3.connection_string: $(OSSIM_DATA)/elevation/srtm/3arc
elevation_manager.elevation_source3.type: srtm_directory
elevation_manager.elevation_source3.min_open_cells: 25
elevation_manager.elevation_source3.max_open_cells: 50
elevation_manager.elevation_source3.memory_map_cells: false
elevation_manager.elevation_source3.geoid.type: geoid1996

Hope that helps,
Dave B.

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="about:www.afsc.ca">www.afsc.ca <http://www.afsc.ca>
[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Forrester recently released a report on the Return on Investment (ROI) of Google Apps. They found a 300% ROI, 38%-56% cost savings, and break-even within 7 months. Over 3 million businesses have gone Google with Google Apps: an online email calendar, and document program that's accessible from your browser. Read the Forrester report: http://p.sf.net/sfu/googleapps-sfnew

Re: preferences file

David Hildebrand

David:

What is the “gen ras” format?  Is it equivalent to the GDAL EHdr format?

===========================
David V. Hildebrand
Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
(403) 782-8239

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. Please contact Agriculture Financial Services Corporation immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Re: preferences file

Brent Fraser
David H.,

Here's some info from one of our analysts (I haven't tried it myself):

"
As an alternative to srtm dem format, general raster format
can be used for orthorectification using igen. The raster file has
an extension .ras and can be created using

orthoigen --geo <input file> <output .ras file>

I used tif file as input although I think it can be any of the
format that ossim supports. The raster file should be one
file (no tiling). The input file can have a higher
resolution.

In the ossim_preference file, the following lines are
included for elevation source and type

elevation_source1.filename: C:\TEMP\dem
elevation_source1.type: general_raster_directory
 "

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

On 12/22/2010 8:45 AM, David Hildebrand wrote:

[...]

David R. Burken

> What is the “gen ras” format?  Is it equivalent to the GDAL EHdr format?

Just a straight raster, pixels only no other info.

BIP, BIL or BSQ

Because there is no embedded image info, like lines/samples we need  a header file.  There is a header template at:

http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/browser/trunk/ossim/etc/templates/general_raster_template.omd

We also need the projection info, i.e. a .geom file so we know where it is on the Earth...

SRTM is just a raw raster; however, we can derive the lines/samples from the size and the geometry info from the name itself.  That's why Norm suggestion, use the srtm, is a good one...

I think there is confusion over viewing a dem as an image and using a dem for height info.  For instance we can view an ArcInfo grid through the gdal plugin; however, the elevation manager which has the ossimElevManager::getHeightAboveEllipsoid which is used by sensor models to get the height does not have a reader for Arc grid( I know, run-on sentence).  It only has DTED, SRTM and general raster.  So if you have anything else and you want to use it for height you must convert.

I will try to make the elevation page below clearer so others don't go through your grief.

http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ossimElevationSetup

Hope that helps,
Dave B.

www.afsc.ca<about:www.afsc.ca> <http://www.afsc.ca<http://www.afsc.ca/>>